W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Adjustable Links for Ride height??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2006 | 03:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Adjustable Links for Ride height??

Hi all, can anyone give me the details on the adjustable links for the Airmatic lowering. I remember something about either the older S55s or s500s or something that had the same links (front and rear) but that they were adjustable (multiple pieces).

I found the part for the rear. It looks like it may work, but I have not compared it to the W211 one to see if they are a match. I will do it ASAP.

I could not find ANY MBs that have adjustable front links.
Old 07-12-2006 | 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
In southern Cal, The Wheel Supply

http://www.thewheelsupply.com/index.jsp

RB Tech

http://www.rbtechla.com/
Old 07-12-2006 | 04:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Thanks, i'll look into them. I was actually looking for the MB parts, though. Apparently they came stock on some models.
Old 07-12-2006 | 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by jangy
Thanks, i'll look into them. I was actually looking for the MB parts, though. Apparently they came stock on some models.
I will get you the number. Its from a W220 and the part will bolt right onto the factory location up front and allow for manual adjustment.
Old 07-13-2006 | 12:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
I will get you the number. Its from a W220 and the part will bolt right onto the factory location up front and allow for manual adjustment.
Thanks bro, you the man. I am about 3-6 months from having the beast ready for Willow. Every how often do you guys go and is there a group I can join?

Hehe, dunno if I ever apologized for the ride. The only thing you asked is for me not to wreck, and I did. Sorry bro. I start shoulder therapy tomorrow. Driving with one arm has become a real pain.

Thanks for that info in advance. I'll order it asap.
Old 07-13-2006 | 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Guys , wouldn't this be much better than washers or modules ?
Old 07-13-2006 | 12:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I can't speak to modules as I have none, but Cyn mentioned a "new" one.

As for the washer, I am now a MAJOR OPPONENT of it. I did some research on its design and it is a tappered bolt for a reason. The nut MUST twist that far down to lock. ANY gap will add risk, especially any decent gap. Take a look at the bolt hole (oval) and the bolt and decide for yourself.

The reason I want the stock links is because I can make the dealer install them and so not have any issues.

Other than that, they can easily be fabricated. I will be getting some of those done when I get the plates done for the camber.
Old 07-13-2006 | 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
As for the washer, I am now a MAJOR OPPONENT of it. I did some research on its design and it is a tappered bolt for a reason. The nut MUST twist that far down to lock. ANY gap will add risk, especially any decent gap. Take a look at the bolt hole (oval) and the bolt and decide for yourself.

I will be getting some of those done when I get the plates done for the camber.
This is the biggest load of BS I have read for a while. Sorry mate, but it only makes sense to you.
You can get a camber plate fabricated to attach to the three bolts on the aluminum wishbone, which would theoretically allow for some camber adjustment, but I thought you didn't want any issues with the dealer...
Old 07-13-2006 | 10:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Rafal
This is the biggest load of BS I have read for a while. Sorry mate, but it only makes sense to you.
You can get a camber plate fabricated to attach to the three bolts on the aluminum wishbone, which would theoretically allow for some camber adjustment, but I thought you didn't want any issues with the dealer...
Sorry to upset you Rafal. My statement on the washer method was just my observations. If you disagree, that is fine. Please note that I haven't been in the bickering going back and forth with the washer method and I actually did use it for a bit. I have simply been paying more attention to the front end of the car lately, and it was something I SAW. Sorry, dude not trying to get anyone upset.

I don't want any more trouble with my dealer than I have to have. Does that mean I won't try something that I think will make me like my car more? NOPE!
I'm not bashing here OR suggesting that anyone else do this to their car, so why do you mind so much?

I'm just taking a different approach than others. Am I only allowed to try to squeeze 3 more HP out of the car and that's it?

Call BS all you want. People always have, and it has never slowed me down. Fact is I have the BEST handling W211 I have seen. Ask the one that came to challenge it?? Or name the one in SoCal you want me to run with to prove it. I have never been very open with what the car has been through or WHO works on it as I do not want to close those doors on me. Actually, why do you think I traded in an '05 for the '06? You really think I just have money to burn? Anyhow, just asking you to not judge until you see. If you disagree with my setup, that is fine. Everyone like different things and there are a zillion ways to skin a cat. But why is it all of a sudden BS? I could understand you thinking it is stupid, but BS?
Old 07-13-2006 | 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Rafal
As far as I have been taught you cant make plates on a car with double wishbone suspensions. The E55 is not really a double wishbone set-up but thats not the point. Look at the digram of the front axle and you quickly realize you cant tip the strut tube by changing its mounting locatioin. Allignment specs for camber can only be changed with links and or bushings.

Any reason for the anger Rafal? Calm down hes fighting the same battle as you. No need to blow up your own camps troops.
Old 07-13-2006 | 01:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
As far as I have been taught you cant make plates on a car with double wishbone suspensions. The E55 is not really a double wishbone set-up but thats not the point. Look at the digram of the front axle and you quickly realize you cant tip the strut tube by changing its mounting locatioin. Allignment specs for camber can only be changed with links and or bushings.

Any reason for the anger Rafal? Calm down hes fighting the same battle as you. No need to blow up your own camps troops.
Damn, I was hoping it would be easier. Can you turn me onto these links and bushings? Are they MB parts, or aftermarket?
I'm down with a revamp of the front end. A supercharged V8 has got to be able to handle with a V10. There is no excuse not to.
Old 07-13-2006 | 01:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212

Hey Cyn, take a look at that diagram i posted.i am not moving the shock at all. The section that i indicated with a #1 is where the arm from the hub attaches and that is what I was hoping to move. What do ya think? At any rate, MB only parts the entire arm, so i am buying both fronts to play with modding them or making replacements. they don't sell just the plates anyway.

I'll post pics of what I'm talking about in a bit.
Old 07-13-2006 | 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Hi all, can anyone give me the details on the adjustable links for the Airmatic lowering. I remember something about either the older S55s or s500s or something that had the same links (front and rear) but that they were adjustable (multiple pieces).

I found the part for the rear. It looks like it may work, but I have not compared it to the W211 one to see if they are a match. I will do it ASAP.

I could not find ANY MBs that have adjustable front links.
Maybe I mis-interpreted...I was thinking there are factory links that are adjustable to lower the car that can be swapped into our car from a previous model ?
Old 07-13-2006 | 02:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by vader
Maybe I mis-interpreted...I was thinking there are factory links that are adjustable to lower the car that can be swapped into our car from a previous model ?
Yes Vader. Sorry, Cyn and I are talking different things here. he links he is talking baout for camber adjust are different from the airmatic links.

There are indeed factory links that are adjustable for the rear. I have those on order. I have heard that there are also some for the front. That is what Cyn is gonna hook us up on (part #s). In lue of that, I will have some fabricated as it is very easy, but I just preferred an MB part that I could get the dealer to install.
Old 07-13-2006 | 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Bingo...I would love to use factory parts to lower !
Old 07-13-2006 | 02:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by vader
Bingo...I would love to use factory parts to lower !
Especially if you can get the dealer to install them?? Keep tuning in. I'm sure we will have something worked out soon.
Old 03-25-2007 | 06:37 AM
Almost a Member!

what ever I like
211 rear suspension

I do not know whey so meny people waist there time. just take it to the dealer and they can lower the car via factory laptop. somepeople have nothing to do but post crap on the web.
Old 03-25-2007 | 06:40 AM
Almost a Member!

what ever I like
miss information Sorry

it seems you are miss informed and handing out the wrong information. there is more than one way to lower a 211 and a W220 part will not work.....
Old 03-25-2007 | 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by suspension king
I do not know whey so meny people waist there time. just take it to the dealer and they can lower the car via factory laptop. somepeople have nothing to do but post crap on the web.

Thanks for telling us something that we already know. Some people have nothing better to do but try to act like they know it all.

Last edited by sdsilverm3; 03-25-2007 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-25-2007 | 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Not all dealers will do this for you.This is where your crap on the web deal comes into play.
Old 03-25-2007 | 01:13 PM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
Thanks for telling us something that we already know. Some people have nothing better to do but try to act like they know it all.
Old 03-25-2007 | 01:17 PM

'07 S550 Sil/Gry with 2012 S65 Facelight
And why are you reviving a thread from 8 months ago?!?!?!
Old 03-26-2007 | 11:05 AM
Banned

call ben at wheels boutique and ask for the factory mb lowering links. cost about $200.