Mercedes Flat Hood Emblems for E55s...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,102 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by jangy
You never said if you could make a silver one? Or a different color than white in the center?
Any color is possible, but I would have to buy them in minimum bulk lots from overseas, and there is no guarantee that more than a small few people would be interested in other colors.

In contrast, I am currently pressed to keep up with demand for the badge with the WHITE star insert. The white star goes with any car color. So, I'm sticking with these for now. I hope you understand.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be careful when you buy your hood emblem from formymercedes.com as they are replicas, and on ebay you might find OEM hood badge that comes with the original MB box and instructions, it usually goes for 59.95. but there are a lot of made in china hood badges on ebay also, make sure you get the part number.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Almost a Member!

06 E55
I ordered the emblem from www.precisionauto.com which appeared to be the same one from www.formymercedes.com. When I got the emblem, it was junk. It had a metal assembly that attaches to the hood and then a plastic emblem cap that goes onto the assembly by two rubber grommets. It was also twice the size of the original hood emblem.

I returned that piece and got myself the AMG emblem from Mario. I highly recommend that hood emblem. It is of exceptional quality and the fit is perfect.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:41 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 06AMG
I ordered the emblem from www.precisionauto.com which appeared to be the same one from www.formymercedes.com. When I got the emblem, it was junk. It had a metal assembly that attaches to the hood and then a plastic emblem cap that goes onto the assembly by two rubber grommets. It was also twice the size of the original hood emblem.

I returned that piece and got myself the AMG emblem from Mario. I highly recommend that hood emblem. It is of exceptional quality and the fit is perfect.
I agree, the badge from Mario is of the highest quality!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I've seen the Mario AMG badge. It is of high quality, indeed. However, if you don't require that it say "AMG" on it, the DFWdude WHITE STAR badge is also of excellent quality. After all, most of it is the original, indestructible OEM upright star, part #210 880 01 86, made in Germany, and uses the same, easy, twist on locking mechanism.

I understand the AMG badge requires tools and fiddling to install and align it correctly. The DFWdude design requires no tools, and aligns itself automatically, just like the OEM upright star. And at far less the price of the Mario special, The WHITE STAR Flat Badge is a better bargain, IMO.

To each his own. At least we have some top flight options now, compared to the cheap plastic, SLK Badge.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:34 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
I've seen the Mario AMG badge. It is of high quality, indeed. However, if you don't require that it say "AMG" on it, the DFWdude WHITE STAR badge is also of excellent quality. After all, most of it is the original, indestructible OEM upright star, part #210 880 01 86, made in Germany, and uses the same, easy, twist on locking mechanism.

I understand the AMG badge requires tools and fiddling to install and align it correctly. The DFWdude design requires no tools, and aligns itself automatically, just like the OEM upright star. And at far less the price of the Mario special, The WHITE STAR Flat Badge is a better bargain, IMO.

To each his own. At least we have some top flight options now, compared to the cheap plastic, SLK Badge.
I got mine from DFWdude and it's really nice.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
I spoke with DFWdude recently, and he told me several of his White Star Badges have found homes on E55s from MBWorld. It would be nice if some of you Beast Drivers could post pictures here so we can see them on the sportier Es... Just a suggestion.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
I've installed the flat hood emblem made by DFWdude for almost 2 weeks and I'm really happy with the look. I'll post some pictures this weekend.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
I've installed the flat hood emblem made by DFWdude for almost 2 weeks and I'm really happy with the look. I'll post some pictures this weekend.
Yes, please do post some pics. The WHITE STAR Flat Badge has found a home on several E55 AMGs. I hope some of you will post pictures here.

It would be nice if some of you Beast Drivers could post pictures here so we can see them on the sportier Es... Just a suggestion.
I agree. IMO, when you buy an AMG, you leave behind the upright star that defines a "luxury sedan" for more emphasis on performance. Seeing the sleeker White Stars on beautiful sport sedans keeps me pumped.

Last edited by DFWdude; 09-01-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
I ordered one of the emblems from DFWdude. I'll post pics in a few weeks when I get back to my car
Old 09-11-2006, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by jangy
I would love to see some up close pics of both side by side to see if there is any detail diffs. Sorry to cause all the fuss, but I just LOVE custom stuff, especially limited editions.
Jangy, here are side-by-side pics of my star vs the G-Class. Your opinion rules, but mine says the G-Class star sits up too high (not flush with the hood) and the detail within the white star and background (golf ball sized dimples) looks a bit coarse. In contrast, the edges of the WHITE STAR Flat Badge are more rounded.

Also, the WHITE STAR Flat Badge fills the divot completely, while the G-Badge's diameter is a bit undersized. Of course, you be the judge.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:20 PM

2002 CLK55 AMG, 2005 C240 4maitc
anybody know how to get a hold of these? they dont seem to be on ebay anymore, or at any other website for that matter. Does that Mario guy still have them? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally Posted by rubberninja
anybody know how to get a hold of these? they dont seem to be on ebay anymore, or at any other website for that matter. Does that Mario guy still have them? Thanks for the help.
Mercy, it's all in the posts above.

If you are looking for Mario's antique AMG badge, please read post #9 above.

If you are looking for the WHITE STAR badge shown in post #20 above, and most posts since, send an e-mail to DFWdude, at DFWdude@tx.rr.com. I have the WHITE STAR Flat Badge, and love it.

I don't think either badge has ever been offered at e-Bay.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:48 PM

2002 CLK55 AMG, 2005 C240 4maitc
Mercy, it's all in the posts above.

If you are looking for Mario's antique AMG badge, please read post #9 above.

If you are looking for the WHITE STAR badge shown in post #20 above, and most posts since, send an e-mail to DFWdude, at DFWdude@tx.rr.com. I have the WHITE STAR Flat Badge, and love it.

I don't think either badge has ever been offered at e-Bay.
Thanks for the help!
I already have one of the antique amg badges on my current hood which i got from ebay for $15 shipped but i bondo'd it to my hood like a moron because there was no adapter etc.... & i wanted to make sure it wasnt going anywere so now im in the prospects of getting a c/f hood and i cant remove the badge i currently have without destroying it, putting me in the market for a new one but $149 is pretty insulting for a piece of styled metal a bit larger than a quarter (which is why i was inquiring about other avenues) The nerve of some people. $149; honestly thats just stupid.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E63S,
will the 48mm badges fit? They are 1 7/8" and someone here mentioned that you need a 1 3/4" badge (45mm).
Old 09-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally Posted by rubberninja
Thanks for the help!
I already have one of the antique amg badges on my current hood which i got from ebay for $15 shipped... $149 is pretty insulting for a piece of styled metal a bit larger than a quarter (which is why i was inquiring about other avenues) The nerve of some people. $149; honestly thats just stupid.
To be clear, you're writing of the Mario badge at that price. The DFWdude Badge is quite a bit less, although it is hand-made, one at a time from a standard upright star you can't buy from the dealer for less than $35-$40, sometimes more. And that is just one part of the DFWdude badge.

So, in general, you'll find these options to be a bit more expensive than the mass-produced, $15 special on e-Bay. I've even seen the plastic SLK badge vary in price from $30-$60 depending on where you shop.

Not to mention that your windshield wiper blades cost way more than your bondo badge. Welcome to the pricey world of Mercedes-Benz.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by SmokinV10
will the 48mm badges fit? They are 1 7/8" and someone here mentioned that you need a 1 3/4" badge (45mm).
The 48mm AMG badge sold on e-bay is the right size, but it's a bit one dimensional (read: really flat)! Most of the hoods have a slight bend front to back. The plastic SLK badge conforms well because it bends when installed properly.

Of course, the OEM upright star (and the WHITE STAR Flat Badge) have the bend cast into the part from the factory.

Last edited by DFWdude; 09-14-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
I got my white star flat badge in the mail yesterday. Excellent quality and well worth the price. Pictures don't do it justice. I'm going to put it on my car later on today.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:20 PM

996TT
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
I got my white star flat badge in the mail yesterday. Excellent quality and well worth the price. Pictures don't do it justice. I'm going to put it on my car later on today.
hopefullly i get mine soon. Cant Wait!!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 03:16 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Are these pretty easy to put on?
Old 09-15-2006, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Frankster
Are these pretty easy to put on?
Super easy, no tools required. Using your thumb and forefinger, grab the two ears (one ear labeled below) and twist off, remove upright star from top of hood, drop in the WHITE STAR Flat Badge, then twist in the direction of the arrow to lock. It takes longer to open the hood...

Old 09-15-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DFWdude
Super easy, no tools required. Using your thumb and forefinger, grab the two ears (one ear labeled below) and twist off, remove upright star from top of hood, drop in the WHITE STAR Flat Badge, then twist in the direction of the arrow to lock. It takes longer to open the hood...

Sounds easy enough. I see why so many people are replacing their factory emblem. These do make the car look a lot cleaner.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:03 PM

996TT
Originally Posted by DFWdude
The 48mm AMG badge sold on e-bay is the right size, but it's a bit one dimensional (read: really flat)! Most of the hoods have a slight bend front to back. The plastic SLK badge conforms well because it bends when installed properly.

Of course, the OEM upright star (and the WHITE STAR Flat Badge) have the bend cast into the part from the factory.

Got mine today - installed and looks great. Great job and good quality.... Thank you!
Old 09-29-2006, 10:52 AM

S55 AMG '06
Any thoughts on this one from MKM Customs? Says it's OEM and looks pretty nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flat-...spagenameZWDVW
Old 09-29-2006, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
DFW's looks like it came from the factory....those look too made up...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Flat Hood Emblems for E55s...