Sponsored by:

RENNtech new digitial lowering module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
WoooHoooo, dropped my baby off today. The module gets here Wed and will be installed then. We will be running the wiring harness either into the glove box or making a box for it under the dash, so that I can have access to it.

Thanks for the explanations. I hope this thing works well. I was still torn between making my own links and using this. Cyn talked me into it with the raise at speed bit. Please do get details. Is it at 20mph, or 80?

Any San Diego area peeps that want a good install shop, let me know. Jeff turned me onto them. Seem pretty cool for now.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
You will like it! Enjoy!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:59 AM

CLS500, CLK500
The RennTech lowering module

1) For those wondering, how it installs, just check out their user manuals:
http://www.renntechmercedes.com/Show_Sus_Low.html

2) Can the module be located somewhere else? I see no problem with that, except a really skilled technician would have to extend the RennTech supplied instalation harness... and the only acceptable way to touch harnesses in the vehicle is heat-shrink covered clean soldering.

3) The module has three 8-position switches which independently modify the vehicle sensor signals (digitally). Many cars have 3 height sensors, so one can adjust only 3 signals. Because RennTech module works in many models, both ABC and Airtonic (selectable by the fourth 'function' switch), the Rear Height switch controls the Rear axle: if the vehicle has two sensors on the rear, ONE switch adjust both rear signals together. The proper way of installing ANY lowering module is to make sure the car is dealer leveled first. This can often be skipped if the car is about level, which one can almost see visually (it is not uncommon to have small differences between left and right side, but those can be re-adjusted with the RennTech module as well). The exact amount of lowering for each switch is stored in a digital table in the RennTech lowering module, and therefore it can have various values, even bigger/smaller then shipped. Problem here is of course that higher values then programmed into the module as released are dangerous for the vehicle. Just check out your car with the lowest setting (all switches at position 0) - on my CLS the car was almost SITTING on the tires and it was simply too much. I enjoyed the fron wheels raised to switch position 3 (middle value) and rear raised even more to switch position 5. For some reasons I feel the CLS rear is looking better a bit heigher than front. The good thing is - if you disagree with me, just rotate the switches to another position.

Check at RennTech, but they mentioned that a skilled installer can adjust the rear differences by adjusting the front sides. RennTech has also a scale table, where they adjust the vehicle by balancing the weight of the vehicle at each wheel - better yet, they can do it with a driver sitting inside!).

3) The vehicle is intelligent from the factory. There are good reasons why the height changes with the speed, I would trust their judgement in doing so. RennTech module doesn't interfere with control unit speed sensing, so the stage 1 and 2 will remain changing with the speed.

4) The control from the steering wheel is not included, but it is technically possible. Both the steering buttons and the instrument cluster are on the same CAN bus and RennTech module is fully digital (4 microprocessors). The problem among other things is that each Mercedes has DIFFERENT instrument cluster and would require different software in the module, probably drastically increasing the price of the module.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:02 AM

CLS500, CLK500
Some answers about the lowering module

2) Can the module be located somewhere else? I see no problem with that, except a really skilled technician would have to extend the RennTech supplied instalation harness... and the only acceptable way to touch harnesses in the vehicle is heat-shrink covered clean soldering.

3) The module has three 8-position switches which independently modify the vehicle sensor signals (digitally). Many cars have 3 height sensors, so one can adjust only 3 signals. Because RennTech module works in many models, both ABC and Airtonic (selectable by the fourth 'function' switch), the Rear Height switch controls the Rear axle: if the vehicle has two sensors on the rear, ONE switch adjust both rear signals together. The proper way of installing ANY lowering module is to make sure the car is dealer leveled first. This can often be skipped if the car is about level, which one can almost see visually (it is not uncommon to have small differences between left and right side, but those can be re-adjusted with the RennTech module as well). The exact amount of lowering for each switch is stored in a digital table in the RennTech lowering module, and therefore it can have various values, even bigger/smaller then shipped. Problem here is of course that higher values then programmed into the module as released are dangerous for the vehicle. Just check out your car with the lowest setting (all switches at position 0) - on my CLS the car was almost SITTING on the tires and it was simply too much. I enjoyed the fron wheels raised to switch position 3 (middle value) and rear raised even more to switch position 5. For some reasons I feel the CLS rear is looking better a bit heigher than front. The good thing is - if you disagree with me, just rotate the switches to another position.

Check at RennTech, but they mentioned that a skilled installer can adjust the rear differences by adjusting the front sides. RennTech has also a scale table, where they adjust the vehicle by balancing the weight of the vehicle at each wheel - better yet, they can do it with a driver sitting inside!).

3) The vehicle is intelligent from the factory. There are good reasons why the height changes with the speed, I would trust their judgement in doing so. RennTech module doesn't interfere with control unit speed sensing, so the stage 1 and 2 will remain changing with the speed.

4) The control from the steering wheel is not included, but it is technically possible. Both the steering buttons and the instrument cluster are on the same CAN bus and RennTech module is fully digital (4 microprocessors). The problem among other things is that each Mercedes has DIFFERENT instrument cluster and would require different software in the module, probably drastically increasing the price of the module.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by toolsivan

RENNtech has stated that this module does not remain at the lowered setting at speed since this is where most the shock damage comes from. People set the car for style and then the car lowers itself again at speed and you are sitting right at bump stop just waiting for the first real freeway bump.

The RENNtech module solves this buy reverting back to stock at speed as I am told. It could simply not lower further since the lowered ride height likely is lower than what the factory saw fit for the at speed setting. But my understading is that the renntech module shuts down and lets the car do its own thing while crusing at highway speeds.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:07 PM

E55
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
RENNtech has stated that this module does not remain at the lowered setting at speed since this is where most the shock damage comes from. People set the car for style and then the car lowers itself again at speed and you are sitting right at bump stop just waiting for the first real freeway bump.

The RENNtech module solves this buy reverting back to stock at speed as I am told. It could simply not lower further since the lowered ride height likely is lower than what the factory saw fit for the at speed setting. But my understading is that the renntech module shuts down and lets the car do its own thing while crusing at highway speeds.

Can anyone verify this?? that would be awesome.. I dont want to have to deal with the negative camber issue issue with it being lowered.. But if while driving it raises that would ease my worries!

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
Yes, this is true.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:15 PM

E55
Originally Posted by adam@kronen
Yes, this is true.

Sweet.. So at what speed does it raise? And does it raise back to factory ride height?? Then lowers again when the car stops?

Thanks Again!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Griffin337
Sweet.. So at what speed does it raise? And does it raise back to factory ride height?? Then lowers again when the car stops?

Thanks Again!
From what I am told, the system reverts to stock at around 68 or 75. I dont know the exact speed at which the car lowers for freeway driving but at that point the car goes back to the stock system.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
From what I am told, the system reverts to stock at around 68 or 75. I dont know the exact speed at which the car lowers for freeway driving but at that point the car goes back to the stock system.
I don't know if I like it "turning off" at speed. I was told that it just does not do the "drop" at 80mph. I am still getting verification on when and how it works. Any truth or contact info would be great.

Mine will definitely be installed in a tuck position under the dash. You can just reach up and adjust any of the settings and it will be "hidden" out of the way.

They can mount it anywhere you want by running a wiring harness extension. The cost is stricktly labor.

Lastly, make sure you get it installed "properly". Keep in mind that while Renntech may add a premium to their items, they also warranty the gap caused by their mods (from the MB warranty). The only catch is that Renntech asks that the part have been installed properly, which means either by someone they recommend or similar.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by jangy
I don't know if I like it "turning off" at speed. I was told that it just does not do the "drop" at 80mph. I am still getting verification on when and how it works. Any truth or contact info would be great.

Mine will definitely be installed in a tuck position under the dash. You can just reach up and adjust any of the settings and it will be "hidden" out of the way.

They can mount it anywhere you want by running a wiring harness extension. The cost is stricktly labor.

Lastly, make sure you get it installed "properly". Keep in mind that while Renntech may add a premium to their items, they also warranty the gap caused by their mods (from the MB warranty). The only catch is that Renntech asks that the part have been installed properly, which means either by someone they recommend or similar.
Jangy,

I will be back in town on Thursday, will James finished w/your car by then? I want to take a look at the drop first, they picked up my wheels this morning.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by 2K6E55
Jangy,

I will be back in town on Thursday, will James finished w/your car by then? I want to take a look at the drop first, they picked up my wheels this morning.
For now, he said the entire setup will be done by Thursday night Friday am. The Modules came, I think. Mine will be mounted upside down under the dash. I hope to have it all ready to show this weekend. Let me know if you need another drop in the mean time. I kept all my old links. Apparently the drop will go as low as I want, so that should be no issue. I am more into seeing the digital advances.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Mine just arrived today! I guess the adjustment screws are located under the cover because there is no exposed knobs on it.

Cant wait to get it installed... I have too much stuff to do this weekend now..
Old 07-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by vrus
Mine just arrived today! I guess the adjustment screws are located under the cover because there is no exposed knobs on it.

Cant wait to get it installed... I have too much stuff to do this weekend now..
My tech moddified the box and the knobs. I will post pics soon, but the knobs (4) now extend through the box (4 holes he drilled). He also extended the wiring harness from under the rug to the bottom of the dash and made a little recess in the dash cover for the box to sit. Adjustments on the fly are as easy as reaching up under the dash and twisting the knobs. The module is also tucked away enough not to get kicked, etc.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Very nice idea!

I will keep that in mind when I am doing the install.

My tech moddified the box and the knobs. I will post pics soon, but the knobs (4) now extend through the box (4 holes he drilled). He also extended the wiring harness from under the rug to the bottom of the dash and made a little recess in the dash cover for the box to sit. Adjustments on the fly are as easy as reaching up under the dash and twisting the knobs. The module is also tucked away enough not to get kicked, etc.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
this is the the under side of the passenger dash. it shows the harness that will go behind it and hook to the module. Also, they are building a little frame to go around the module. i'll post final pics when done.

Last edited by jangy; 08-06-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Also, here is the deal with the function:

You set the height as you like it. When it gets to speed (~75mph), it reverts to the manufacturer's settings. So, when your car usually drops to a point at that speed, the RENN unit will either drop OR raise to match that final height. In all, when you are going 80mph and up, it is as if the unit is not there.

If all this is correct, I may also be using my links to get the ride the way I like it and then mess with the module for "looks"
Old 07-20-2006, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
How did he extend the knobs if they were under the plastic Jangy ?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Banned

AMGs
Also, here is the deal with the function:

You set the height as you like it. When it gets to speed (~75mph), it reverts to the manufacturer's settings. So, when your car usually drops to a point at that speed, the RENN unit will either drop OR raise to match that final height. In all, when you are going 80mph and up, it is as if the unit is not there.

If all this is correct, I may also be using my links to get the ride the way I like it and then mess with the module for "looks"
So the car still at the shop? Did the Rims come in?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by vader
How did he extend the knobs if they were under the plastic Jangy ?
I will take closer pics when i get it in. I have no clue. He fabricated the extensions AND drilled the holes in the case. The pic does not have all the trim or the knobs. It just shows where the knubs come through the module. The knobs fit on the ends and are flush with the module.

An hour added labor for the harness.
An hour added labor for the knob extensions and module mount.
3 hours labor to install.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by 2K6E55
So the car still at the shop? Did the Rims come in?
Still there. Should be done tomorrow. Waiting on the rims, actually. I ended up getting a very dark silver. Can't wait. He was gonna throw the OEM rims on for now to set the module.

I will get it aligned next week. No time before Sat.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
what rims did you decide on J ?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by vader
what rims did you decide on J ?
If J is Jangy, I went with the AMG Style IV (OEM) with 275/35 on 18X9 , et39 up front and 295/30 on 18X9.5 et34 (modified CLS500 rear) in the rear. They are being sand blasted and powder coated. They are cast, so I will be getting new forged ones soon. I want 18X10 rears and forged all round, and I am leaning at some kind of 5 spoke.

If it means Jeff, he went with Modulares, but I feel a change coming soon....
Old 07-21-2006, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Sorry ..meant Jangy....you staying with 18's though huh
Old 07-21-2006, 12:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Absolutely. I will be getting 18s, even when I go to forged rims. Handling is too important for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RENNtech new digitial lowering module