Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quaife LSD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quaife LSD

For those who are tired of the little orange triangle on their Mercedes AMG lighting up like a christmas tree everytime throttle is applied and are interested in a limited slip differential, I have negotiated a price with Vivid Racing for the Quaife units. Normally they retail for $1795, and Vivid is willing to sell them to us for $1580 "out the door" (i.e. free domestic shipping).

So if you're interested call Michael at Vivid Racing (480 966-3040 ext 226) to place your order.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:19 PM

03 E55
how are they different than the factory AMG limited slip?
Old 07-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious but how does the Quaife differ from a Kleemann LSD?
Old 07-14-2006, 04:49 PM

In an effort to avoid writing a long soporific response (which is probably not technically accurate anyhow), I suggest that you visit www.quaifeamerica.com and click on ATB differentials to get an understanding on how the Quaife unit works versus other LSDs.

AMG offers an LSD through their Manufaktur program for our cars. However, their LSD is (i) difficult to obtain in the US, (ii) at least twice as expensive as the Quaife unit, and (iii) does not provide nearly as much lock up as the Kleeman or the Quaife unit.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by 2QUIK4U
In an effort to avoid writing a long soporific response (which is probably not technically accurate anyhow), I suggest that you visit www.quaifeamerica.com and click on ATB differentials to get an understanding on how the Quaife unit works versus other LSDs.

AMG offers an LSD through their Manufaktur program for our cars. However, their LSD is (i) difficult to obtain in the US, (ii) at least twice as expensive as the Quaife unit, and (iii) does not provide nearly as much lock up as the Kleeman or the Quaife unit.
That is a good answer. A lot of guys on these forums post a one line question to a complicated answer and expect an instant, single line answer, preferably monosyllabic.
It's called fast food research, also known as McResearch. All information is predigested, easy to swallow but in the end very unsatisfying, so they come back for more.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Rafal
That is a good answer. A lot of guys on these forums post a one line question to a complicated answer and expect an instant, single line answer, preferably monosyllabic.
It's called fast food research, also known as McResearch. All information is predigested, easy to swallow but in the end very unsatisfying, so they come back for more.

mmm, tasty. Actually, not very filling, though. Hmmm.....
Old 07-15-2006, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Vivid Racing? A name way too familiar for me. I have not only ordered from them, but heard lots of stories about them. Mostly negative in terms of customer services and shipping. So if I were you, I would look somewhere else.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:28 AM

Vivid Racing? A name way too familiar for me. I have not only ordered from them, but heard lots of stories about them. Mostly negative in terms of customer services and shipping. So if I were you, I would look somewhere else.
Really? What have your experiences with them been. They seem to run a legit operation.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Really? What have your experiences with them been. They seem to run a legit operation.
I personally didn't have any problems with them when I ordered parts for my WRX 4 yrs ago, they were pretty quick then. But some members on couple Subaru forums stated that Vivid Racing did not respond to their requests at a timely fashion. With Vivid, it's either a hit or miss situation if you know what I mean.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
[QUOTE=2QUIK4U]In an effort to avoid writing a long soporific response (which is probably not technically accurate anyhow), I suggest that you visit www.quaifeamerica.com and click on ATB differentials to get an understanding on how the Quaife unit works versus other LSDs.

Interesting website - thanks.
Question - if you remove the wheel spin, wont the drive train peak load increase? Could this create a longterm durablity problem?
Old 07-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
[quote=OzE55]

Interesting website - thanks.
Question - if you remove the wheel spin, wont the drive train peak load increase? Could this create a longterm durablity problem?
In theory, absolutely. Most mods that strengthen one component can have an adverse effect on others. In this case, no doubt the rear end will wiggle more as the rear bushing give under more power. That can also be worked on, which will send that power up the chain (i.e. tranny, etc.)

Having said that, keep in mind that we hare not taking a design that handles little torque to one that is massive. our cars have plenty of it to start with and this tranny is also pretty strong.

In the past, I have had great results with just changing out as many bushings as i can. i prefer the nice polyU aftermarket or custom ones. They make a world of difference, but can be very expensive to install.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:40 PM

04 E55
I had a slight "wiggle" problem after the Quaife, which was worsened with Drag Radials on the car. It felt like the rear wheels were going toe-in under heavy load. Put the car on the lift and, sure enough, the toe links are rediculously flimsy on these cars. Renntech makes a set for these cars, but they wanted too much so we made our own. Works badass and the rear end feels way more stable under heavy load.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:01 PM

I had a slight "wiggle" problem after the Quaife, which was worsened with Drag Radials on the car. It felt like the rear wheels were going toe-in under heavy load. Put the car on the lift and, sure enough, the toe links are rediculously flimsy on these cars. Renntech makes a set for these cars, but they wanted too much so we made our own. Works badass and the rear end feels way more stable under heavy load.
Would the C55 also be susceptible to this problem?
Old 07-15-2006, 02:53 PM

04 E55
I have no idea what the C55's rear suspension architecture looks like. The best answer I can give is "probably", but I can't tell you exactly how or where. The problem may turn up as toe in instead of toe out or some other geometry change. Best thing to do is get the car in the air and just look around under there.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Would the C55 also be susceptible to this problem?
Yes they would, BUT you have less power so the problem will be less prominant.

I know many on this board blame the wiggle on 295s (claiming they rub the body), but I believe it to be the bushings.

RENNtechs are expensive, but VERY nice. I will get them along with the Quaffe.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:12 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by jangy
The ones HP Autowerks in Santa Barbara built me are pretty badass. I'll try to take some pics this weekend (it's HOT right now ) but they're way cheaper than the renntech ones.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by GTA23109a
The ones HP Autowerks in Santa Barbara built me are pretty badass. I'll try to take some pics this weekend (it's HOT right now ) but they're way cheaper than the renntech ones.
Pics would be great. Did they have a template to work from or did they use your car?
Old 07-15-2006, 11:16 PM

04 E55
Pics would be great. Did they have a template to work from or did they use your car?
No template, just built them on the car.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:48 AM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
Yes they would, BUT you have less power so the problem will be less prominant.

I know many on this board blame the wiggle on 295s (claiming they rub the body), but I believe it to be the bushings.

Hey Jangy you might be right that the bushings also have something to do with the wiggle, but for me at least the rears rubbing is not a "claim" as you say it is fact.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by pas
Hey Jangy you might be right that the bushings also have something to do with the wiggle, but for me at least the rears rubbing is not a "claim" as you say it is fact.

I apologize about that statement. I know that 295s are hard to fit and rub under most conditions. In fact, I think i am the only one that claims to have finally overcome this issue, and by using CLS rims no less. I do not mean to belittle ANYONE'S experiences, so I will clarify. What I meant to say is that I do not believe that the rubbing is what is causing the wagging. Keep in mind that not all "wagglers" rub. But, ALL wagglers have increased traction somehow (by increased tire size or better compund). There may be a correlation effect, I just do not believe it is causative. For there to be enough power loss at the tire level to cause such waggling, I would really expect the entire fender to be deformed. There is a HUGE amount of power being put down under hard acceleration and a slight rub just won't act as a braking device without doing some damage.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:17 PM

'10 E63 AMG
Pm

Charlie:

Can you purge your PM mailbox so I can send you a response to your PM to me? Thanks!

Dave
Old 07-16-2006, 04:25 PM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
I apologize about that statement. I know that 295s are hard to fit and rub under most conditions. In fact, I think i am the only one that claims to have finally overcome this issue, and by using CLS rims no less. I do not mean to belittle ANYONE'S experiences, so I will clarify. What I meant to say is that I do not believe that the rubbing is what is causing the wagging. Keep in mind that not all "wagglers" rub. But, ALL wagglers have increased traction somehow (by increased tire size or better compund).
I have to disagree the tires that caused the wiggle were well worn Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 285/30/20 on 20x10 wheels, the traction was horrible they spun all the time. I have run BFG DR's in 275/35/18 and had no wiggle at all and both the contis and PS2's in stock size drive perfectly and the traction on the PS2's is fantastic even in the wet.

There may be a correlation effect, I just do not believe it is causative. For there to be enough power loss at the tire level to cause such waggling, I would really expect the entire fender to be deformed. There is a HUGE amount of power being put down under hard acceleration and a slight rub just won't act as a braking device without doing some damage.
I don't disagree with what you are saying and I admit the evidence of rubbing is very very superficial. Also the rubbing occurs inside the wheel well on the downward stroke of the tire, not on the outside with the fender. It is just strange that with stock sizes regardless of traction I don't have any issues it is only with the larger wheels and tires.

If for some reason you are coming to Miami PM me and I'll put the 20's back on so you can see for yourself. Maybe one day we will figure this out for sure.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by pas
If for some reason you are coming to Miami PM me and I'll put the 20's back on so you can see for yourself. Maybe one day we will figure this out for sure.
hehe, always need an excuse to head to Miami. Maybe when it cools off a bit. No need to argue, cause I think there are MANY factors involved here. I have NEVER tried anything but 18s on the E, so I have no experience with changing the diameter. I do know that it will cause some ESP faults, etc. , especially as the car is turning and accelerating.

Again, I never meant to belittle yours or anyone elses issues or experiences with their rides as I would also hate to have something odd about my car. My aim has only been to fit 295s on the rear and 275s on the front. I really wanted this more for handling than anything, as the PS2s (275/35) do work great in the rear.

Keep in on the road and keep letting me know when I stick my foot in my mouth