Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio system disappointment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio system disappointment

After spending nearly $12,000 on a stereo system for the beast I am extremely disappointed. I have some of the highest quality components and amps and the sound quality is slightly better than stock...sometimes I think the stock system souunded better

After letting my "premier" audio installer know of my discontent they are suggesting I install the Alpine vehiclehub system. Of course, this will only be another 3k+ enahancement and I will lose my factory controls and be stuck operating the system via a remote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Whoa man!
Lets start with the basics. List the parts you used and if you can include pictures of placement of the speakers.

When you drop 12k$ on a system you should be impressed, not discontent.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:51 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
The E55 system is actually pretty good stock.

I upgraded my SL55's crappy BOSE system to Reus Systems for <$5K and I'd pit it against any sound system out there.

~ Ian
Old 07-20-2006, 08:02 AM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by rotex
After spending nearly $12,000 on a stereo system for the beast I am extremely disappointed. I have some of the highest quality components and amps and the sound quality is slightly better than stock...sometimes I think the stock system souunded better

After letting my "premier" audio installer know of my discontent they are suggesting I install the Alpine vehiclehub system. Of course, this will only be another 3k+ enahancement and I will lose my factory controls and be stuck operating the system via a remote
the problem w/ this is the factory head unit ,even w the best components your source(head unit )is the weak link and unless you replace that;which will look terrible. you won't achieve the sound you are looking for.i decided against this after hearing one set-up w top components and not impressed.i don't know what amps you are running but the new jl audio amps are excellent,they were designed by the two guys who designed the extant amps back in 1998 and before that the old precision power amps in the early 1990's.jl audio makes a piece to interface w/factory source unit that makes a considerable difference in the sound,you may want to check into that before shelling out extra $$$$ aand compromising the aesthetics of the vehicle.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:12 AM
MNG

Audi's, a whole bunch of them
any good audio shop should know that the deck is where you should start when upgrading a system... the stock deck just doesn't cut it when doing a good system in a car.

i suggest you find a new shop, before they start asking for more money.

and yes the JL audio amps are one of the best on the market now
Old 07-20-2006, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys I am running 2 Audison amps and Focal speakers throughout. I am going to try the Rockford Fosgate OEM integration device to hopefully improve sound quality, etc. I will let you know what happens...
Old 07-20-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
20’ G63,18' GT3, 17' NSX, 16' Cayenne, 09' GTR, 05' E55
Originally Posted by rotex
Thanks for the feedback guys I am running 2 Audison amps and Focal speakers throughout. I am going to try the Rockford Fosgate OEM integration device to hopefully improve sound quality, etc. I will let you know what happens...
rotex,
which amps and speakers are you running, i have k2p speakers and vrx amps with a jl clean sweep, it turned out quite well with jl subs!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
if you haven't done so....install JL's cleansweep. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=92 You should also check your settings on your crossovers & gain/input sensitivity. I dished out nearly $3000 into my beater and it sounds 10 times better than my HK system.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55
I was gonna say get the JL Audio CleanSweep for seamless integration of your components to the COMAND. CLEANSWEEP! It will make a HUGE difference, I have Focal K2 speakers with JL Amps & Subs. CLEANSWEEP! No comparison to the POS Harmon/Kardon factory system. CLEANSWEEP! Audison is real good quality stuff too, I am surprised that you are dissatisfied. CLEANSWEEP! The mobile installers and home theater sales people at the install shop say that they have never heard a system sound as nice as mine with a factory headunit. CLEANSWEEP! A couple of them are serious hardcore audiophiles. CLEANSWEEP! Get it.

Last edited by Torquey55; 07-20-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by Torquey55
I was gonna say get the JL Audio CleanSweep for seamless integration of your components to the COMAND. CLEANSWEEP! It will make a HUGE difference, I have Focal K2 speakers with JL Amps & Subs. CLEANSWEEP! No comparison to the POS Harmon/Kardon factory system. CLEANSWEEP! Audison is real good quality stuff too, I am surprised that you are dissatisfied. CLEANSWEEP! The mobile installers and home theater sales people at the install shop say that they have never heard a system sound as nice as mine with a factory headunit. CLEANSWEEP! A couple of them are serious hardcore audiophiles. CLEANSWEEP! Get it.
I agree... JL audio equipments ROCK! My E430 is outfitted w/such equipments and the sound is AWESOME!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:07 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by Torquey55
where did you have your install done?
Old 07-20-2006, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55
PM sent RBC55