Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is Sick as Fu*k
Dynamic Seats

Wsup AMG'ers...
I have the dynamic seats on my E55, and they are always on...but for some reason ill feel it hard, and somtimes ill barley feel it at all...i have it set to powerful...is there a certain speed+ it works most? or a certain angle the wheels are supposed to be at, or weight is supposed to be shiffted for it to hit harder? i mean somtimes ill be switching a lane real quick and itll hit, and other times it wont do anything...??? I want to understand how it works? and when it suppose to work best...im unclear...thanx
Old 07-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by PerisanGodFatha
Wsup AMG'ers...
I have the dynamic seats on my E55, and they are always on...but for some reason ill feel it hard, and somtimes ill barley feel it at all...i have it set to powerful...is there a certain speed+ it works most? or a certain angle the wheels are supposed to be at, or weight is supposed to be shiffted for it to hit harder? i mean somtimes ill be switching a lane real quick and itll hit, and other times it wont do anything...??? I want to understand how it works? and when it suppose to work best...im unclear...thanx
It reads off of the lean sensors all around the car. It obviously also takes speed, etc data from the ecu.

It does not have anything to do with just turning the wheel. It is trying to mimic the Gs you feel, so it does not do anything if it does not feel the lean.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
I agree with Jangy, there were times i did not feel anything until i fed some speed to the ride.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:35 PM

2003 E55
What exactly is this dynamic seats feature? I thought I had it too but I just have the controls below the seat that allow you to manually adjust the firmness of the seat behind the lower back and on the side. Am I missing something here? What else does it do? Or maybe I don't have this feature?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by davidhung78
What exactly is this dynamic seats feature? I thought I had it too but I just have the controls below the seat that allow you to manually adjust the firmness of the seat behind the lower back and on the side. Am I missing something here? What else does it do? Or maybe I don't have this feature?
The control has button that says "Dynamic" if you have dynamic seats. I agree with Jangy that they react to lateral G force applied to the vehicle. They inflate bladders that keep the driver or front passenger from leaning or sliding sideways as the car turns left or right. They also inflate to stiffen up the seats under hard acceleration or braking. Sometimes they act like they are alive and are thinking.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55
Originally Posted by can drive 55
Sometimes they act like they are alive and are thinking.
Sometimes mine feel like they have a mind (similar to mine, dazed & confused) of their own. Most of the time they work reasonably well, then other times I'm like "WTF? why didn't they inflate in that turn?"
My seats are definitely not thinking too clearly in my car.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:58 PM

i thought i was the only one who noticed this.... sometimes the seats are very dynamic and sometimes its like i haven't turned them on. Has anyone gone to the dealer to inquire?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
mine seem to react just like everyone else's here.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:03 AM

05 E55, R33 GTR, R33 GTS-t
i had a play with dynamic seats when i first got the car, but in the end i found it annoying, ill usually just manually bolster up the sides a bit for normal driving, and crank it up full for thrashing, i feel more secure when the sides are bolstered constantly. But yes it does appear to be a bit inconsistent in its function as mentioned by first post!
Old 07-22-2006, 03:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by sly55
i had a play with dynamic seats when i first got the car, but in the end i found it annoying, ill usually just manually bolster up the sides a bit for normal driving, and crank it up full for thrashing, i feel more secure when the sides are bolstered constantly. But yes it does appear to be a bit inconsistent in its function as mentioned by first post!

Even if you crank the manual controls, it still does its thing. Trust me, I have put lots of time into this. The reason? Well, if we have active seats that use the sensors all around the car, then why not an active suspension. i don't mean one that reacts AFTER it leans, i mean one that counterleans in the turn. To make a really long story short, it is to happen. Maybe even on the next E. They are working out all the conditions and trying some of it out on the seats. I simply can not wait.

By the way, you can definitely ask the dealer to look at them, but try one thing as well. Forget about them. Don't try to predict when and if they come on and how hard. After a while you will forget you have them. But, once you get in a nother car, it will feel odd not to have it.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:31 PM

E55
Originally Posted by jangy
Even if you crank the manual controls, it still does its thing. Trust me, I have put lots of time into this. The reason? Well, if we have active seats that use the sensors all around the car, then why not an active suspension. i don't mean one that reacts AFTER it leans, i mean one that counterleans in the turn. To make a really long story short, it is to happen. Maybe even on the next E. They are working out all the conditions and trying some of it out on the seats. I simply can not wait.

By the way, you can definitely ask the dealer to look at them, but try one thing as well. Forget about them. Don't try to predict when and if they come on and how hard. After a while you will forget you have them. But, once you get in a nother car, it will feel odd not to have it.

Agreed.

The other thing I seem to notice is that the dynamic seating response faster with the S-mode versus the C-mode which has a longer delay. I do a lot of road racing (haven't yet with the E55) and the dynamic seat doesn't seem like it will cut it though. To me it's more like a fun factor and maybe for the street use.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Very interesting thread. At around the same time I recently had the car dropped further with the Renntech module, I started noticing the dynamic seats much less -- to the point where I was wondering if they were working properly. I had a rear seat DVD system installed at the same time and throught something might have happened to the air pump or a wire at the hands of the A-V installer.

But with the lowered center of gravity and somewhat stiffer suspension with the car lowered 1.5 - 2", the car rolls much less than before. Probably this explains the change.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by ekovalsky
Very interesting thread. At around the same time I recently had the car dropped further with the Renntech module, I started noticing the dynamic seats much less -- to the point where I was wondering if they were working properly. I had a rear seat DVD system installed at the same time and throught something might have happened to the air pump or a wire at the hands of the A-V installer.

But with the lowered center of gravity and somewhat stiffer suspension with the car lowered 1.5 - 2", the car rolls much less than before. Probably this explains the change.
It definitely explains many things, including why your car turns in so nicely, too.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:20 PM

2006 E55 AMG
When I took delivery of my car I soon found out that the driver's dynamic seat control was "wired" backwards. I would turn to the right and the right bolster would inflate. It was as if the car was trying to push me out the door. The service writer was chagrinned when I told him about the problem and probably didn't believe me. Sure enough, hoses were crossed. It works fine now.