Headers installation...need help !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Headers installation...need help !!!

Hello guys...I need you help and reccomendations...

Since I have a Headers already, I am thinking to installing them alone for NOW...without pullies or ECU upgrade...

The HEADERs are Kleemann Style ones from AUS...

Therefore I would need to remove Primary CATs, then I would get "check engine" light, so I am thinking of relocating Secondary O2 sensors behind Secondary CATs, this should cure check engine light problems...

The main question is IS is OK run Header without pullies and ECU uphrade and will I get more POWER ???

Victor told ME before that HE got 30 HP at the wheels with just EVO Headers, mine are without Primary Cats should make even MORE POWER !!!

Your comments and suggestions PLEASE !!!

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 07-25-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20+ to list......
I'm guessing you should see 35-40 at the wheels improvement since the prim cats are removed. With pullies and ECU flash you would see a lot more though.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Mike,

Its true that my power jumped from 411rwhp to 442rwhp with just the Evo headers. Keep in mind that if you take off those primary cats and dont relocate both O2 sensors so that they are sandwiched in between the secondaries, you will get a check engine light.

I remember someone telling me that the primary cats are worth 10rwhp, so you should be at approx 40rwhp increase if you do that.

Headers will drop your boost approx 1 - 2lb but you are still making more power. Leave the ECU & pullies alone until you are ready to go to the next step.

Go ahead and install the headers.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
You can definitely do just the EVO headers and get a LOT of power out of it. Plus you gain a bit more GROWL out of the engine.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
so I am thinking of relocating Secondary O2 sensors behind Secondary CATs, this should cure check engine light problems...
M5RUS, this will not help. CE will still come on. Secondary cats run too cold for the O2s to work. You will need Kleemann software to turn O2s off.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Thanks for your help guys...

I would need to relocate O2 sensors cause the ECU upgrade I will be getting from the people who made those Headers and runs same pullies size as ASP ones...

Vadim are you 100% sure about O2 sensors relocation ???

Bigger diameter Headers and removal of Primary CATS will make more flow and the heat will go out faster, so may be it will make Secondary cats warn enough ???

They say they relocate 02 sensors behind Secodary Cats and everything works great...

Appox HP figure they quote with Headers, Pullies and their ECU reflash is 450KW, ammounts to 612 HP at the crank, I dont know what it would be at the wheels..

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 07-26-2006 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN
M5RUS, this will not help. CE will still come on. Secondary cats run too cold for the O2s to work. You will need Kleemann software to turn O2s off.
No manufacturer makes O2 simulators for these cars? How hard could it be to pigtail a resistor to the harness?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Hey guys...I been told by people who makes those Header that I should keep the Cats and dont need to move them anywhere and that thos header will fit like that...
Old 07-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Its up to you.. I mentioned before that removing the primary cats is good for 10rwhp - 15rwhp. If that is important to you, just remove them. If you dont care about that extra power then leave the cats the way they are.

I am not sure if relocating the O2 sensors to the rear cats will solve the problem or not.. Like Vadim told you before, those cats wont see as much heat as the primaries, so I am not sure if that would work.

If you are really worried about it, then, keep the primary cats, move the O2 sensors to the secondary cats and see if you get a check engine light.. If you get no check engine light after a week of driving, then remove the primary cats.

Originally Posted by M5 RUS
Hey guys...I been told by people who makes those Header that I should keep the Cats and dont need to move them anywhere and that thos header will fit like that...
Old 07-29-2006, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Victor....I dont even know what to do ???

Of course I want extra Power 10 HP at the wheels but I dont want check engine light

Why dod you keep priomary cats you could remove them as well ???
Old 07-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Send your ECU to Kleemann and pay them $200.. They will disable the O2 sensors for you. Wait until you do ECU tuning and have it done at the same time. Then you can take off the cats.

For now, leave them alone if you dont want CEL.

Victor....I dont even know what to do ???

Of course I want extra Power 10 HP at the wheels but I dont want check engine light

Why dod you keep priomary cats you could remove them as well ???
Old 07-29-2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by vrus
I am not sure if relocating the O2 sensors to the rear cats will solve the problem or not.. Like Vadim told you before, those cats wont see as much heat as the primaries, so I am not sure if that would work.
If the secondary O2 sensors are heated (usually indicated by a 4-wire connector), they should work behind the secondary cats. Heated sensors don't rely on exhaust gasses as a heat source and come up to operating temperatures very quickly.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by vrus
Send your ECU to Kleemann and pay them $200.. They will disable the O2 sensors for you. Wait until you do ECU tuning and have it done at the same time. Then you can take off the cats.

For now, leave them alone if you dont want CEL.
Vic the porblem is that I cant wait if I have some tuning parts already...I am installing HEADERs NEX and ordered pullies already...

I think we are going to have big RS vs M vs AMG shout out..I want to be ready for it...

If my ECU will be reflshed again, then it will erase Kleemann software or not ???...Of I send my ECU from Kleeman, then its going to be full re-flash, they want 1700 EURO (around $2400) for it

When installing headers on E55, do we have to lower then engine ???

I dont know what to do
Old 07-29-2006, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
If the secondary O2 sensors are heated (usually indicated by a 4-wire connector), they should work behind the secondary cats. Heated sensors don't rely on exhaust gasses as a heat source and come up to operating temperatures very quickly.
As Kleemann Germany told ME before...with installation of their headers exhaust temperatures drop from 880 to 760 degrees...My headder are also jet-hot coated, so temp should drop even more...

What do you think
Old 07-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Vic the porblem is that I cant wait if I have some tuning parts already...I am installing HEADERs NEX and ordered pullies already...

I think we are going to have big RS vs M vs AMG shout out..I want to be ready for it...

If my ECU will be reflshed again, then it will erase Kleemann software or not ???...Of I send my ECU from Kleeman, then its going to be full re-flash, they want 1700 EURO (around $2400) for it

When installing headers on E55, do we have to lower then engine ???

I dont know what to do

Since those are not actual Kleeman headers, they may be different, but the Kleeman ones are not a straight bolt on and i do not know if anyone has been able to "fake" the sensor out, yet.

I do know of some that tried moving them and the light comes on, so I assume that they are not heated on their own.

Good luck and let us know.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by jangy
Since those are not actual Kleeman headers, they may be different, but the Kleeman ones are not a straight bolt on and i do not know if anyone has been able to "fake" the sensor out, yet.

I do know of some that tried moving them and the light comes on, so I assume that they are not heated on their own.

Good luck and let us know.
Everything sounds not too good..l
Looks like I either have to get Klemann ECU or keep Primary CATS...but I dont want to do neither that sucks
Old 07-29-2006, 04:11 PM

As Kleemann Germany told ME before...with installation of their headers exhaust temperatures drop from 880 to 760 degrees...My headder are also jet-hot coated, so temp should drop even more...

What do you think
If the headers are coated on the inside, I doubt that you will see a further reduction of exhaust gas temperatures. But, like I mentioned in my previous post, if the O2 sensor has a built-in heater, it won't matter - it will function normally.

If the sensor is heated and you decide to move it, what you will need to worry about is the operation of the secondary cat. If it's not as efficient as the primary cat, then the secondary O2 sensor will cycle too fast and set a different code.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
If the headers are coated on the inside, I doubt that you will see a further reduction of exhaust gas temperatures. But, like I mentioned in my previous post, if the O2 sensor has a built-in heater, it won't matter - it will function normally.

If the sensor is heated and you decide to move it, what you will need to worry about is the operation of the secondary cat. If it's not as efficient as the primary cat, then the secondary O2 sensor will cycle too fast and set a different code.
OK...so who know more about what kind O2 sensors does E55 has and how does secondary cat operate, I beleive Secondary cats is a suppurting cat to Primary one...

Dont k now what to do
Old 07-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Somebody on here has to have tried to get the Kleeman Headers to work without truning the warning light off by ECU, no?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Yeah...common guys need some more thought on it...

I want to instal them this week...Can someone as someone who might know
Old 07-31-2006, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Going to install them tommorow...anymore tips ???

Will try to remove Primary CATS and place 02 sensors behind Secondary cats...

They are local SAuperchip tuners also, we will try to program O2 sensors, if there any faults...
Old 07-31-2006, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
A bit off topic, but would removing secondary, primary, or both cats be illegal (as in you would fail inspections)? Thanks.

Good luck with your exhaust.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
As for Primary cats... I beleive you can still pass all test with one set on cats in US...

As for Russia...it doesnt matter...but lets not get off topics guys...

Those header that I have are actually bold on ones...so should I go for it and reomove Primary CATS or keep them ??? 10 HP at wheels is noticable

How would my ECU cope and A/F ratios be affected ???
Old 07-31-2006, 11:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
As for Primary cats... I beleive you can still pass all test with one set on cats in US...

As for Russia...it doesnt matter...but lets not get off topics guys...

Those header that I have are actually bold on ones...so should I go for it and reomove Primary CATS or keep them ??? 10 HP at wheels is noticable

How would my ECU cope and A/F ratios be affected ???
NO, the kleeman is NOT CARB. Jeez, people. Realize it makes no difference how clean the car runs. It matters if it is STOCK!! You are only allowed to replace a cat that has gone bad 9or broken hint hint). Even then YOU must replace it and you must keep it in the exact same spot. that is California law.

If you do not care if it is legal, then yes you can also easily get away with it.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
OK... I will relocate my O2 behind secondary cats...and will go from there...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headers installation...need help !!!