Hesitation from a stop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Hesitation from a stop

Lately I've been experiencing hesitation from a dead stop. For example from a stop I'll put the car in S mode and select 1st, turn ESP off, then floor it. I would expect to get a fairly instant response and massive wheel spin. Instead it's just kinda 'blah' like it doesn't want to do anything for a second, it's probably not a whole second but it seems like it. After that the wheels spin and you start to drift sideways like it should. If I start from a slight roll and floor it in S mode with 1st selected it takes right off.

I think my belt might be slipping a lot also, haven't checked it yet. I've been getting the nice aroma of burning rubber after a good go and it wasn't because of wheelspin as I usually leave ESP on and most of these I didn't get on it until 30 or so anyway. After I slow down or stop I can smell it pretty strongly since I usually drive windows down when I can.

I'd take it to the dealership and have them look, but I don't want to be without the car and to be honset the folks at the Ewing aren't too keen when it comes to diagnosing and working on AMG models. Last time I took it there with power loss and suddenly fantastic gas mileage they just shrugged and said it's fine. I asked them if they checked the intercooler pump and flow tested it and they didn't know what I was talking about. I asked if they would reset the ECU for me and they said they didn't know how to. I had to go asking techs until I found someone who knew how to do it. Sigh.