Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by vrus
Hi Ted,

If you are familiar with this procedure and can explain it to me, I can check it out on a couple of E's up here that had the recall done. What do I have to do in DAS in order to check if the load limit is active?

I would like to definitively know if my car has the load limit on it or not.

..............every car that has undergone the secondary air injection pump has the load limit in its ECU. The O2 sensor issue only applies to cars with headers that require deletion of two oxygen sonsors. The symptoms a car shows depends on how compatible the mods in the car is to the new load limit software. As I discovered by buying a brand new ECU, the stock Mercedes Benz software in each car's ECU is different...........even for cars of the same year make and model. How you drive your car also affects the extent to which you notice a problem.

................as far as the codes. The folks at Kleemann had the opportunity to read the codes in my old ECU with the recall software and the codes in my new ECU without the recall software............there were no load limits in the new ECU. I do not know how to read the codes myself.

Ted
Old 07-28-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2020 G550
Ted
Please tell me, what are the load limits and what parameters are they effecting? Also it sounds like Kleeman and some of the other tuners have found away around this????
Old 07-28-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Hi guys

want to wade into this one with my own interesting and surprising observation.

As some of you klow I changed out my 04 E55 for an 06 CLS55 in January.
With My E55 I had made several runs to the Moroso drag strip, doing about 20 passes during 05. After I learned how best to launch I would always put the beast into C mode, soft suspesion setting, with ESP off. I would drive around the water, and then do a burn out. Could light the back tire up for as long as I wanted, never a problem. Best run was a 12.169 bone stock.

In Jan I bought the 06 CLS55 - went to Moroso - did everything exactly the same. Damn - no matter what I did, I could not get the beast to do a burn out with ESP off. Tires would spin, then engine would dog, but could never do a full on burnout. After the third failed attempt, I put it into DYNO mode and then no problem. Could light up the tires at will.....

Spoke to Albert (RTFLOW) about it who has an E55 and he said he knew of the situation on other E's and CLS's (or had had the exact same experience - I cant remember which).

So its quite possible that some of the later tranny ECU's have different control software. To this day I still cannot do a full burnout with ESP off, I have no problem breaking the tires loose in 1st and 2nd , but not a burnout. To do that I have to go to DYNO

just my $0.02 observation

Last edited by siswati; 07-28-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by E552006
Ted
Please tell me, what are the load limits and what parameters are they effecting? Also it sounds like Kleeman and some of the other tuners have found away around this????
from my info, nobody really knows what the new load limits or it's parameters are yet, just it's symptoms. so far they can't find it's new location as mb has hidden it somewhere in the entirely new software.

at this point there are two ways "around" the problem until the tuners can actually figure out how to work with or through the problem. the first, as mentioned, is to reload a software version previous to this last flash. the problem with that is that you NEED to know which one of the possible 12 or so different versions of the software you used to have in your 55. just loading any version could have consequences.

the second "work around" method is to use a piggyback harness or ecu to fool the ecu's interpretation of the information that the wheel sensors are providing to it.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by E552006
Ted
.............I have actually posted a print out of the fault code in my car and the details of the code and posted it, but no one took this seriously at the time. As far as a fix is concerened.........there is no fix, at least not yet. The piggy back unit that Chiromikey is speaking off is being tested by Kleemann in Denmark and is not yet available. My info is that it is not promising. The way to get out of this is to have your ECU reflashed by your tuner back to your pre-modification software. This will eliminate the Mercedes recall software. Then your tuner can reinstall your tuned program. Most reputable tuners will have stored stock ECU software before they modify your ECU in case there is a problem.This why it is nice to have a reputable tuner.

Here is a link to printed page of the load limit fault code in my car.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=ted+recall

Ted
Old 07-28-2006, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by siswati
So its quite possible that some of the later tranny ECU's have different control software. To this day I still cannot do a full burnout with ESP off, I have no problem breaking the tires loose in 1st and 2nd , but not a burnout. To do that I have to go to DYNO
What you're probably experiencing is a different level of ESP off compared to your E55. IOW, more Nanny involvement in your CLS with ESP off.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
What's the difference between spinning the wheels and a burnout ?
Old 07-28-2006, 11:35 PM

2020 G550
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.............I have actually posted a print out of the fault code in my car and the details of the code and posted it, but no one took this seriously at the time. As far as a fix is concerened.........there is no fix, at least not yet. The piggy back unit that Chiromikey is speaking off is being tested by Kleemann in Denmark and is not yet available. My info is that it is not promising. The way to get out of this is to have your ECU reflashed by your tuner back to your pre-modification software. This will eliminate the Mercedes recall software. Then your tuner can reinstall your tuned program. Most reputable tuners will have stored stock ECU software before they modify your ECU in case there is a problem.This why it is nice to have a reputable tuner.

Here is a link to printed page of the load limit fault code in my car.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=ted+recall

Ted
Ted
Thanks for the info, I will look over this tomorrow. Is it possible for Kleeman or Renntech to flash over my updated ECU with an upgrade program? It seems that there is conflicting information about this. Can we get back to zero and then install the older modified software if we wish to tune our cars in the future?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Post-Recall and car is aok

Had all of the recalls done on my 05. Just as I got home today - after rolling along slowly in traffic with the AC at full blast on a 100 degree (literally) day -I stopped down the street from my house. Turned off the traction control and nailed it. Despite the heat, and despite the A/C blasting on the "recirculate" setting, I was able to spin the tires without any problem.

She is running just fine.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:12 AM

2006 cls55 amg 2008 GL550 2011 audi R8 V10
What the hell is "DYNO" mode??????????
Old 08-02-2006, 12:50 AM

What the hell is that SEARCH BUTTON up there??????
Old 08-02-2006, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Originally Posted by enzom
Had all of the recalls done on my 05. Just as I got home today - after rolling along slowly in traffic with the AC at full blast on a 100 degree (literally) day -I stopped down the street from my house. Turned off the traction control and nailed it. Despite the heat, and despite the A/C blasting on the "recirculate" setting, I was able to spin the tires without any problem.

She is running just fine.

Since yours is an 05 the recall most likely will not be affected but for us 03 and 04 guys, it looks like there is a problem.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Hey guys wanted to let you know that Evosport worked out the dyno issue on my car. All is good in the modified land and now I am getting NOS installed. MBUSA couldn't keep a good woman down. LOL
Old 08-02-2006, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BENZGal
Hey guys wanted to let you know that Evosport worked out the dyno issue on my car.
details please!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by x-tian-230k
Since yours is an 05 the recall most likely will not be affected but for us 03 and 04 guys, it looks like there is a problem.
I suspected that was the case. Do we know of any 05 or 06 cars that have been adversely affected?
Old 08-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Angela... NOS???? Oh boy... I sure am glad I dont live around Cali.. I wont have to worry about getting my butt handed to me by your E...

What did Evo end up doing to overcome the load limits? I guess they got Powerchip to reflash with old ECU firmware?

BTW.. How did the TB work out?? Everything ok and running happily?

Originally Posted by BENZGal
Hey guys wanted to let you know that Evosport worked out the dyno issue on my car. All is good in the modified land and now I am getting NOS installed. MBUSA couldn't keep a good woman down. LOL
Old 08-02-2006, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
HEY...am I reading this right ? Evo has come up with a fix for the load limits ?? this is important stuff if thats what I'm reading.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
What the hell is that SEARCH BUTTON up there??????
Old 08-02-2006, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Originally Posted by vrus
Angela... NOS???? Oh boy... I sure am glad I dont live around Cali.. I wont have to worry about getting my butt handed to me by your E...

What did Evo end up doing to overcome the load limits? I guess they got Powerchip to reflash with old ECU firmware?

BTW.. How did the TB work out?? Everything ok and running happily?

I don't have time to go into detail about my car. I'm sitting at the airport and my plane is being delayed due to a broken gas cap. SCARY! We are leaving in a few min and I am on my sidekick.

Yes Victor you heard it right... NOS! They are going to install it on the horn. I would hate to be the poor fool in front of me that pisses me off and causes me to hit the wrong horn side by mistake. LMAO

Powerchip flashed my ECU and Evo was able to dyno it after that. Simon from Evo told me that they are having tons of problems with the 05 & 06's. Mercedes and BMW. I know that to be true cause I had to go pick up a part last week from Bob Smith BMW on an 05M5 that got reflashed as well. They are not sure it's the ECU upgrade or some other hidden program being put in the new cars. It has also been hit and miss on our cars. Some have problems and some don't?

Victor.. they haven't had a chance to port your old TB. The last shop they used made mistakes. They are trying to find a new one. Should be done this week. I should have had VRP port it for me.

Gotta go guys I guess they got a gas cap and this side kick sucks for long stuff.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vader
HEY...am I reading this right ? Evo has come up with a fix for the load limits ?? this is important stuff if thats what I'm reading.
no they haven't come up with a fix for the load limiter yet.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:48 PM

2003 E55 K1
I have a 2003 E55. I could not spin wheels after reflash because supercharger was not working. Also, I could throw the shade for the sun roof a third of the way back before reflash and couldn't budge it after. MB finally agreed there was a problem and replaced ECU.

At first car seemed a little tamer than before reflash. Oddly, also quieter and smoother. After driving several hundred miles I think car has picked up some strength and is essentially back to where it was. I'm wondering if there is some kind of "learning" process with new ECU?

Another problem may be the reflash was done this summer and the heat may make the car feel weaker than when the weather was cooler.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
...........simple? You think the problem with these cars is that they are unable to go into dyno mode? Since you have said so much about this topic, I am honestly interested in your solution. Will it matter to you if I tell you that dyno mode has absolutely nothing at all, not even remotely related to the problem. Congratulations that your 06 can go into dyno mode. Wow! MY 05 with the recall problem can go into dyno mode.

.........Chiromikey has summarized the problem accurately. It is actually possible with a DAS machine to read the individual strings of codes in the ECU. This has alread been done and the load limit issue discovered.

Ted
YES TED, SIMPLE!! Keep speaking for Kleeman and all the counter productive crap you claim they will do, but why does Kleeman not come on here and say it?

Keep stalking me and keep trying, it won't help.

Hell no I don't think there is a problem. i think it is a figment of your imagination. Read my post. I can SMOKE the tires AND I can go into Dyno mode. Always have and always will. Keep trying. You aren't a little jealous are you? You sure yours is a W211? Welll ummmm, maybe you should keep your talk to your area of expertise.

Why not just go back to MB and tell them you want it "undone"? Kleeman has not figured the new code out yet and neither has any tuner. MB wants it that way, so it won't be as easy as you make it sound. LOL, funny you claim to have all this factual data and when enquiring minds ask for it, you just come back with ......oh welll umm Kleeman said it and I didn't write it all down...

If you wanna be the bully, at least carry a stick.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jangy
YES TED, SIMPLE!! Keep speaking for Kleeman and all the counter productive crap you claim they will do, but why does Kleeman not come on here and say it?

Keep stalking me and keep trying, it won't help.

Hell no I don't think there is a problem. i think it is a figment of your imagination. Read my post. I can SMOKE the tires AND I can go into Dyno mode. Always have and always will. Keep trying. You aren't a little jealous are you? You sure yours is a W211? Welll ummmm, maybe you should keep your talk to your area of expertise.

Why not just go back to MB and tell them you want it "undone"? Kleeman has not figured the new code out yet and neither has any tuner. MB wants it that way, so it won't be as easy as you make it sound. LOL, funny you claim to have all this factual data and when enquiring minds ask for it, you just come back with ......oh welll umm Kleeman said it and I didn't write it all down...

If you wanna be the bully, at least carry a stick.
jangy,

i understand that wasn't directed at me but why in the hell are you bringing up an argument that is a week old and done with...and taking this off topic yet again?

yes, many of us are jealous that your car wasn't affected, good for you. go out and enjoy it while the rest of us try to figure out what can be done to our cars that WERE affected. you're being so juvenile about this whole thing when you clearly DON'T understand the problem. telling us to go back to mb to have the ecu flash undone or explain to us about dyno mode is either a poor attempt at humor or idiotic and uneducated advice. i respect much of the information you put forth on this forum but you clearly have NO IDEA what you are talking about regarding this topic...except that your car wasn't affected. to claim this problem is a figment of any member's imagination is pretty naive in the light of so many people that have spoken up. and as of late, your ignorance on the topic has become become down right offensive.

having kleeman reflash our ecu's to pre recall status IS actually fairly easy, as long as they know which version of software was on there originally. there's a lot of information that is known and unknown at this time. i'm sure ted has been asked, as i have, not to repeat too much of what he has been told. right now tuners are in a race to break this new software. besides, who have YOU talked to about the problem? at least ted is doing his research regardless of whether he wrote anything down or not.

btw, i could care less what mb wants. these are our cars and we'll do with them what WE want. unless there is an important safety recall, they DON'T have the right to screw with our performance.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:36 AM

2020 G550
Obviously this reflash has a lot of people upset. Has anyone considered a class action suit against MB for this?
I do not like laywers anymore than the IRS but....this is BS. I have said this before. We own these vehicles and paid a lot of money for them.

This whole thing is C R A P. Can you imagine if Microsoft edited your registry without your consent? Some big trial lawyer would be all over it with a class action suite. Even if it is a 1000 line document that you click on, you know that they are changing software code. Sony just went through this with their music player. BIG LAW SUITE PENDING.
With MB, you don't have a choice. They are editing ECU's without the consent of the owners, the people who PURCHASED these vehicles.
I say, leave it the F#$# alone, I paid for it, it's mine.

END QUOTE
Old 08-03-2006, 01:35 AM

Just a thought

I have an '03 and DO NOT plan to do the reflash unless MB figures out (or admits what the problem is/was). On a separate note; I did that "soft ECU reset" today and my car is not shifting nearly as aggressively as before. I think I had "taught it" more aggressive shifts than the reset?
Anyway I doubt this has anything with the ECU problems, but the previous post about "learning" made me wonder. This whole ECU recall/flash issue is probably much more complex than just tranny shifts, but what would it hurt to (if after the reflash you have reduced performance), to drive your car hard with the transmission in manual mode for a couple of weeks and see what happens? Maybe the ECU DOES learn more than just tranny shift traits? (By the way, I do realize that I probably have no idea what I'm talking about)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Had my re-flash done and.....