Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had my re-flash done and.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Originally Posted by BENZGal
Yes they did.

I have a solution for you guys that have the pre-reflash software version.
Contact Evosport and have them scan your ECU and store the program. It might cost you, but it's well worth it. If your car gets upgraded by the dealership Evosport can return your software back to the original program and your car will still be covered under warranty. No one will know but you. They have already fixed it for one client of theirs. Just a thought.

Vrus,
I didn't want to throw it all out in the first convo. I will ask your questions when they call me back. I am not sure if they will answer that question because it would give the tuners a hand up on them?

I would ask that any of you that have contacts at dealerships not mention this thread. I am working on finding a peaceful solution for us and I don't need it complicated by anger. Like my momma tells me..it's not what you say, it's how you say it. I have made a good step towards a solution for some of us.

Wow,

Great work Angela... Now what about us guys that just want the power back. Not necessarily moding the engines but just want the original power back. I mean our engines still should be covered under warrenty if there is no mods.

Thanks for all your work...

Christian
Old 08-11-2006, 04:00 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2020 G550

I agreed to sign a waiver of warranty on the engine if I get my software back. They said that was a good solution. I am hoping that they offer that at the dealerships for anyone that would like to modify the car. Tuners will owe me money for this one. LOL

Bottom line guys......I am willing to include those of you that have engine mods that would be willing to sign a waiver. For those of you that don't ever plan on modifing your car and it's not an 06 built in 06 hold on to your software and you will be ok. For those of you that have an 06 built in 06, and you don't plan on modifing your car you are screwed. Lets face it though these cars still have plenty of power. Please PM me if you are one of the people I can help and I will include you.

Angela
Sorry to say this but I think what you just did was set a precedent for MB to start voiding engine warranties based on the presence of after market tuner software. I don't know about you, but I would never purchase a used 90k car if the engine warranty was void.
Not trying to be a @ss but I don't like where this is going.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by E552006
Sorry to say this but I think what you just did was set a precedent for MB to start voiding engine warranties based on the presence of after market tuner software. I don't know about you, but I would never purchase a used 90k car if the engine warranty was void.
Not trying to be a @ss but I don't like where this is going.
Wouldn't that be a direct violation of the Magnusson-Moss Act?
Old 08-11-2006, 05:43 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 139 Posts
Question For those with stock E55's

Wow all the speculation in this thread is insane. Does anybody have a car that was stock and recently dynoed before their ECU was reflashed that can now have it redynoed again post reflash...? Wouldn't this end all the guessing and finally enable those effected to present some hard core evidence to MBUSA (providing there really is/was an issue in the first place as some have stated their car had no change or it was even faster since the reflash)?

Last edited by RJC; 08-11-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by RJC
Wow all the speculation in this thread is insane. Does anybody have a car that was stock and recently dynoed before their ECU was reflashed that can now have it redynoed again post reflash...? Wouldn't this end all the guessing and finally enable those effected to present some hard core evidence to MBUSA (providing there really is/was an issue in the first place as some have stated their car had no change or it was even faster since the reflash)?
no offense, but have you been paying attention?

there is objective data proving the recalled ecu's are limiting power and according to info in this thread mb has now admitted to it.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:51 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by chiromikey
no offense, but have you been paying attention?

there is objective data proving the recalled ecu's are limiting power and according to info in this thread mb has now admitted to it.
No offense taken as I did not read each and every post but if the objective data you are refering to was posted by benzgal I thought it was pertaining to modded cars not stock one's and that's why I titled my post pertaining to stock E55's. Unless I see real hard substantiated data (perhaps I missed some dyno sheets or an official MB response) that shows before and after #'s etc I really cannot draw any conclusions at all other than read more speculation and or opinion.

From benzgals last post: Remember I am not asking you to join me in this quest and trust me the last thing I want to do is hurt any of you. There is no solution to this problem for people like me. I am talking about a small group of us that have fully modified engines. This doesn't effect most of you and I will make sure that I don't create any problems for the general population.

Last edited by RJC; 08-11-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Now I am confused.

Why are those of us with an '06 built in '06 that do not plan to mod out of luck? My car hauls *****. Am I missing something??
Old 08-11-2006, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Wouldn't that be a direct violation of the Magnusson-Moss Act?
The MM Act is a fine lined gray area indeed.Some people will say that you can mod a car all you want and this Act will cover you,others will say the opposite.From what I understand the Act was made for things such as air filters,oil filters and other maintenance oriented items.Headers,and other non internal or ecu oriented stuff will usually get by also,but when you start changing the ecu programs,intakes,internal engine parts and such the MM Act is something that will cover you.Now if you put on aftermarket pulleys,which changes the characteristics of the motors output and the cam loses a lobe.I bet they will find a way to relate the 2 and you'll be out a motor and a warranty.Modded Mb's and warranty issues are small readings compared to the stuff that goes on with all of the new Turbo diesel pick up's these days.Chevy and Ford dint even hesitate to void your warranty if you have a programmer on your vehicle,if they see it.Some guys are fighting just to have aftermarket intake filter systems and turbo back exhaust's.Very strict compared to the Mb situation that Ive read so far.Any tuner or aftermarket company that does substantial motor changes,and uses the MM Act for a sales defense kinda scares me.I have yet to hear or see one of them actually stand up for a customer in court,or pay out of their pocket when the guy loses.All my opinion of course.

I agreed to sign a waiver of warranty on the engine if I get my software back. They said that was a good solution. I am hoping that they offer that at the dealerships for anyone that would like to modify the car. Tuners will owe me money for this one. LOL

Sorry if I read this wrong but,with all of the modding that you have done,your warranty is gone anyway.Not sure how the waiver has gained you anything here,except if that was the only way you could get an original program back?If that was the case I would have kept my mods quiet and went about it a different way?Dishonest yes,but thats the way I would have done it.

Last edited by Jrocket; 08-11-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Originally Posted by Jrocket
The MM Act is a fine lined gray area indeed.Some people will say that you can mod a car all you want and this Act will cover you,others will say the opposite.From what I understand the Act was made for things such as air filters,oil filters and other maintenance oriented items.Headers,and other non internal or ecu oriented stuff will usually get by also,but when you start changing the ecu programs,intakes,internal engine parts and such the MM Act is something that will cover you.Now if you put on aftermarket pulleys,which changes the characteristics of the motors output and the cam loses a lobe.I bet they will find a way to relate the 2 and you'll be out a motor and a warranty.Modded Mb's and warranty issues are small readings compared to the stuff that goes on with all of the new Turbo diesel pick up's these days.Chevy and Ford dint even hesitate to void your warranty if you have a programmer on your vehicle,if they see it.Some guys are fighting just to have aftermarket intake filter systems and turbo back exhaust's.Very strict compared to the Mb situation that Ive read so far.Any tuner or aftermarket company that does substantial motor changes,and uses the MM Act for a sales defense kinda scares me.I have yet to hear or see one of them actually stand up for a customer in court,or pay out of their pocket when the guy loses.All my opinion of course.

Sorry if I read this wrong but,with all of the modding that you have done,your warranty is gone anyway.Not sure how the waiver has gained you anything here,except if that was the only way you could get an original program back?If that was the case I would have kept my mods quiet and went about it a different way?Dishonest yes,but thats the way I would have done it.
That statement was taken out of context and the reason I decided to delete my posts. My issue is rare and only effects a handful of people that have aftermarket software and mods post reflash, including not being able to reload the original software. Most people in my case can get their original software and it's fine.

I am not going to go into my phone call again, but since I can't delete your post with my small section of text I will explain just a litte. I am only talking about giving up a warranty on the modified engine parts. To me it's a no brainer because dealerships are not tuners and I don't want them to touch my modified parts. This is not an issue for any of you and nothing for you guys to worry about. The only issue is for people right this very second in time trying to load aftermarket software post reflash. All the tuners will figure it out and then that issue will be resolved. What is going on with my car is really rare. I already have a couple of solutions so everything will be just fine for me. I am not going to post anymore about this.

I don't want to get everyone all worked up about the ECU because it's not an issue for 99.9% of you.

Jangy,
I must have mistyped that and that is why I need to keep my mouth shut about this. You missed a part that I deleted that said these cars are plenty fast. I have no complaints about the power of the car post reflash.

I am super sorry guys for beating a friggin dead horse or involving you on a issue that only effects my car. I feel like I am part of an HPS thread right now. LOL My car will be fine and all your cars will be fine and the world will go on. LOL
Old 08-13-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
[/B]

.............I see there is still a lot of confusion about this. The relay work is NOT the problem. So your C32 WILL NOT be expected to be affected. The ECU flash is the problem and like Cory said, there actually at least 6 or 7 different sftware programs that are being used with no ryme or reason. Further, cars of the same year make and model actually have different stock OEM ECU software. When you combine these two things, you get chaos which is what is happening.

...........As for MB's right to overwrite tuner software. I think you are wrong. THE CAR BELONGS TO THE CUSTOMER. At worst MB can refuse to do relevant warranty work on such a car. To take someone's private property and make changes to it such that it becomes less desirable to the property owner makes no sense. It is like your home builder forcing his way into your home without your permission and changing your water heater to a lower capacity unit without your permission. I take it you'll just stand there with lube in hand and bend over and say thank you sir, after he is done.

Ted.
It’s apparent you’re confused and misinformed; the service campaign for the secondary air pump relay includes an ECU software reflash, which changes the operating strategy of that relay. You can’t do one without the other.

The reflash also installed a software Calibration Number which included programs that “prevent manipulation of operating software”. The Tuners are seeing the software doing its job.

I am taking off my Technicians hat and putting on my business mans hat.

Yes the tangibles are yours but the software in the Control Modules belongs to Mercedes Benz LLC. It’s their Intellectual Property.

Read your purchase agreement, some were in there, is a clause which says while that car is under MB warranty they have a right to make changes that conforms to USA FERDERAL EMISSION REGULATIONS.

I don’t care what you guys do; I was just posting relevant information and express my own personal opinion. .

I will make the choice to modify my car when my warranty has expired.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by C32AMG/02
It’s apparent you’re confused and misinformed; the service campaign for the secondary air pump relay includes an ECU software reflash, which changes the operating strategy of that relay. You can’t do one without the other.

The reflash also installed a software Calibration Number which included programs that “prevent manipulation of operating software”. The Tuners are seeing the software doing its job.

I am taking off my Technicians hat and putting on my business mans hat.

Yes the tangibles are yours but the software in the Control Modules belongs to Mercedes Benz LLC. It’s their Intellectual Property.

Read your purchase agreement, some were in there, is a clause which says while that car is under MB warranty they have a right to make changes that conforms to USA FERDERAL EMISSION REGULATIONS.

I don’t care what you guys do; I was just posting relevant information and express my own personal opinion. .

Ignore Ted. His replies are the exact same over and over. I guess if he says it enough, some people will start to think they own the car? What he forgets is the link between us owning it and us EVER wanting to show up at a dealer for warranty work done. Post what info you have and we will take it for what it is.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Originally Posted by C32AMG/02

C32...any insight as to what area the reflash is attempting to stop tuners from manipulating ? Fuel,timing, boost, RPM , etc ? When you modify your car after warranty the re-flash and anti manipulation codes will still be there right ? What will you do then ?
Old 08-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
From what I heard it has nothing to do with a particular aspect of the car's function being locked. I think it has more to do with encrypting the code itself. The problem shows up in all the different variants of codes and hardware that are out there. The fact that we are seeing such a dramatic difference in the earlier W211s is a testiment to that. What I do not understand is why the '06s built in '05 are being affected in their own way. I have noticed quite a few parts to be VIN specific and not Model Year specific, so it seems that MB was transitioning some vendors as well. Just to be clear, when I browse the '06 parts, many of them show up as vin specific. I found that odd, especially since many of the parts were not "upgraded" or improved, but definitely different.

My only advise to people that have NOt yet had the flash is to dyno up front and after for some proof. If not, MB will have a hard time swallowing the fact that our cars don't feel as "raw". The older models that say they can't even spin the tires is different, since that can be shown. However, I was told today that MB has noticed the phenomenon as well, but that it goes away after some time (which is also what a few members here have seen).

In all I wonder if there aren't numerous things going on and we may be confusing them by lumping them together. Heck, I'm still not sure my '06 is as fast as my '05 was. Problem is, I have nothing to demand on MB for that. The car is still pretty fast. And even if their program made the power curve smoother, that isn't against their claims.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:47 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Originally Posted by vader
C32...any insight as to what area the reflash is attempting to stop tuners from manipulating ? Fuel,timing, boost, RPM , etc ? When you modify your car after warranty the re-flash and anti manipulation codes will still be there right ? What will you do then ?
The flash is also done via the internet and the dealer/tech has no real info as to what the reflash contains exactly, ask any tech and he will tell you he has no idea whats on it.
Take the term "load limit" for whatever that means, also C32 is correct, the reflash can fall under "federal emissions" law and thus there is nothing we can do about it if push comes to shove.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:35 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
That statement was taken out of context and the reason I decided to delete my posts. My issue is rare and only effects a handful of people that have aftermarket software and mods post reflash, including not being able to reload the original software. Most people in my case can get their original software and it's fine.

I am not going to go into my phone call again, but since I can't delete your post with my small section of text I will explain just a litte. I am only talking about giving up a warranty on the modified engine parts. To me it's a no brainer because dealerships are not tuners and I don't want them to touch my modified parts. This is not an issue for any of you and nothing for you guys to worry about. The only issue is for people right this very second in time trying to load aftermarket software post reflash. All the tuners will figure it out and then that issue will be resolved. What is going on with my car is really rare. I already have a couple of solutions so everything will be just fine for me. I am not going to post anymore about this.

I don't want to get everyone all worked up about the ECU because it's not an issue for 99.9% of you.

Jangy,
I must have mistyped that and that is why I need to keep my mouth shut about this. You missed a part that I deleted that said these cars are plenty fast. I have no complaints about the power of the car post reflash.

I am super sorry guys for beating a friggin dead horse or involving you on a issue that only effects my car. I feel like I am part of an HPS thread right now. LOL My car will be fine and all your cars will be fine and the world will go on. LOL
Sounds like Benzgal lost her ballz on the issue. Looks like most of us are still screwed.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Vetluver
Sounds like Benzgal lost her ballz on the issue. Looks like most of us are still screwed.
i'm not sure why you would say that but i am sure that it won't help the situation any.

many of us are taking steps toward a solution and if your car has the problem you should be too. at this point no one should be totally relying on others for a fix and you certainly shouldn't be criticizing benzgal cause she's made more headway than any of us that are working on this.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Nice

I am still taking care of business for myself and a few others and not posting it to protect my self legally. If any of you would like to know what I am doing the door to my PM box is always open. Trust me I will get my software back!

Besides, I like being a girly girl and last time I checked I was ball less. I do wear three inch heals on most days and can use them for a weapon. Does that count? LOL
Old 08-14-2006, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
I am relieved to hear that you are ball less...... !!!!!
Old 08-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
She hasn't lost anything.. She is just playing it smart and taking it slowly.

Also, matters like this are best left to private negotiation rather than public.. You never know who reads these threads.

Let her do her thing.. I am sure she will pass along whatever info she has in a private matter to anyone that needs it.. (ie.. PM or email works great).

I've talked to her over the phone and she has a good head on her shoulders.. She knows what she is doing.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:25 AM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Originally Posted by vrus

I've talked to her over the phone and she has a good head on her shoulders..
Did she sound hot? jk
Old 08-14-2006, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Originally Posted by vrus
Also, matters like this are best left to private negotiation rather than public.. You never know who reads these threads.

Great idea and good sense too....these boards are like Mrs Kravitz....and if you don't remember who Mrs Kravitz is...I can't help you
Old 08-14-2006, 06:09 PM

Great idea and good sense too....these boards are like Mrs Kravitz....and if you don't remember who Mrs Kravitz is...I can't help you
Man, you really are old.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Something told me YOU would know who that was Grump !!!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:00 PM

Something told me YOU would know who that was Grump !!!
Yeah, I can't remember much of what happened last week, but 40 years ago is no problem. Actually, I remember both Mrs Kravitz.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by x-tian-230k
My car is completely stock down to the air filters.
Stock cars should have the same power it had before the Re- flash.
Have your car scan for codes; make sure they scan all modules and reset the electronic accelerator adaptation Values, I would take it back to the dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Had my re-flash done and.....