Sponsored by:

Does Anyone Feel Cheated By Mbz?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
contrary to your misconception, ecu upgrades are not the point. a huge part of the problem is that owners of BONE STOCK vehicles now have a significant decrease in power/performance.
Has ANYONE posted pre- and post-reflash dyno results to PROVE this yet? I haven't seen any -have I missed them? If so, please direct me to them. So far, all I have heard is the complaining - let's see the proof!
Old 08-08-2006, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by oblax4
Has ANYONE posted pre- and post-reflash dyno results to PROVE this yet? I haven't seen any -have I missed them? If so, please direct me to them. So far, all I have heard is the complaining - let's see the proof!
if owners would have known to dyno before a recall you'd have your graphs. although most of the information available is subjective, that gives no one the right to discount it. as far as objective data, more will come...but i think the FACT that many e55's can't spin the tires with esp off anymore is objective enough. however, if it isn't, the fact that tuners have discovered the new load limits hidden in the new ecu software should be MORE than objective enough.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:09 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Now THAT, is something to get pissed about. I'd feel more "cheated" about the ECU reflashes that all you 55k owners are getting slapped with so Mercedes can make a car with a mediocre improvement in power/speed look like its had a major improvement in power/speed. I'm surprised you guys arent storming the effing gates regarding that one.
the re-flash doesn't effect all 55k cars regarding performance.it had no reduction in performance on mine.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Hammer Down
After reading that the 2007 SL55 comes with 510hp and 531ftlbs of torque!
I feel like they have cheated all of the 55 owners the last 4yrs. WTF!

Does anyone know what the MAJOR differences are between that motor and ours??????
Just had one in my shop- There are quite a few differences:

80mm throttle body
different ECU file
different front bumper
front brakes get floating rotors, slightly larger, and 6 piston calipers rather than 8.
rear rotors are also floating units.

Other than that, there are no other differences that I noticed. The car dyno'd about 30 HP higher than older SL55's I've run. Crank and superhcarger pulleys are the same as '03-'06 cars.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:26 AM

'10 E63 AMG
although most of the information available is subjective, that gives no one the right to discount it.
What, are you kidding me?! Of course it does! That's the whole idea behind "science". Do you accept anecdotal data for fact just because someone "says" its true, or do you question the validity of the means by which he/she arrived at the results that are being reported? C'mon!

the fact that tuners have discovered the new load limits hidden in the new ecu software should be MORE than objective enough.
Again, this must be a post I missed. Please direct me to where these tuners have reported and described these "hidden" codes. Are new codes actually "hidden" in the software (suggesting a conspiracy to deceive by MB), or are the codes simply "included" in the software as part of the update?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Again, this must be a post I missed. Please direct me to where these tuners have reported and described these "hidden" codes. Are new codes actually "hidden" in the software (suggesting a conspiracy to deceive by MB), or are the codes simply "included" in the software as part of the update?

It's not so much that the load limits are new, or hidden (they have ALWAYS been there, since the introduction of the M113 engine), rather the maps have changed locations in the EPROM file. For that matter, they may not even be stored in the EPROM file anymore. There is no such thing as a "conspiracy to deceive by MB" when you're referring to aftermarket tuners. If anything, they want to make it more difficult for aftermarket tuners to upgrade the car. Mercedes-Benz has ZERO obligation to inform tuners of changes they make to ECU's, and (unless I'm interpreting your post incorrectly) it's absurd to suggest they have any responsibility to aftermarket tuners. Just my .02
Old 08-09-2006, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Cory, did you look at one with the Performance Package?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Cory,

I'm a little confused. I had the MB recall completed and then sent my ECU off to you. So my question is, when you updated my K2 program via the SL55 that was in the shop did you first load my old ECU program? If not, does my updated ECU still contain some of the changes that MB made to load limits.

PS The car is running very strong.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:25 AM

'10 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by CoryU
There is no such thing as a "conspiracy to deceive by MB" when you're referring to aftermarket tuners.
Of course there isn't - I wasn't suggesting there was. I was pointing out that there is nothing being "hidden"!

Originally Posted by CoryU
and (unless I'm interpreting your post incorrectly) it's absurd to suggest they have any responsibility to aftermarket tuners.
Me?! I never suggested anything of the sort!

Thanks for explaining the code thing, though - I'm really not that literate when it comes to computer programming.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
What, are you kidding me?! Of course it does! That's the whole idea behind "science". Do you accept anecdotal data for fact just because someone "says" its true, or do you question the validity of the means by which he/she arrived at the results that are being reported? C'mon!
c'mon yourself...we're not in your high school science class here. enough people have reported similar problems for a logical person to at least accept the premise that something could be different. come take my car for a spin and you'll quickly change your mind about how much credit you give this "anecdotal data".

the load limits appear to have been moved to an inaccessible area of the ecu. you've been on this forum long enough...DO A SEARCH. but really, since you seem to have a problem believing what has been discussed here for quite a while now, do your own research and contact some of the tuners yourself.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Rock
Cory,

I'm a little confused. I had the MB recall completed and then sent my ECU off to you. So my question is, when you updated my K2 program via the SL55 that was in the shop did you first load my old ECU program? If not, does my updated ECU still contain some of the changes that MB made to load limits.

PS The car is running very strong.
Hi Rock. I actually loaded your original K2 software that was in the car when it left our place (with a few little changes). I used the SL55 to "code out" the secondary O2 sensor signal with my DAS machine. There's not much I can do with DAS to take care of load limitations, at least I haven't found anything yet. The only way to tell if your load limits are active is to take the car to the dealer and have them read out the fault codes in the ECU. A load lmitation code will not set a CEL, as it doesn't have anything to do with the emission systems, but the ECU will indeed store it. The code will read "The Load Limitations are Active"- or somthing along those lines. We're still working on this as it's proving to be a bit more difficult than anticipated. It may very well be stored on the EEPROM chip now.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Kev04C320
Cory, did you look at one with the Performance Package?
No, the car that I had in the shop didn't have the 030 package. I thought it did because of the brakes, but the speed limiter was still set at 155, which means it doesn't have the 030, plus it didn't have the AMG LSD.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Of course there isn't - I wasn't suggesting there was. I was pointing out that there is nothing being "hidden"!

Me?! I never suggested anything of the sort!

Thanks for explaining the code thing, though - I'm really not that literate when it comes to computer programming.
OK, OK, no need to get defensive. I obviously mis-interpreted your post.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
.........the point about the recall ECU fiasco is not that MB has an obligation to inform tuners on how to modify the ECU. The point is that the owner of a modified car or soon to be modified car has the RIGHT to do the modification. You have the right to modify your car till the engine blows up if you choose. MB also has the right to refuse relevant warranty work on such a car. MB has no right to take an already modified car that does not belong to MB.........car belongs to the customer.....MB has no right to take such a car and alter its software in such a manner that the car fails to operate properly. I am suprised that North American forum members are having trouble with the concept of property rights. Microsoft has no right to modify your computer without your knowledge or agreement once you have already purchased the computer. Could you imagine microsoft hacking into your computer and altering it in such a way that the program you installed last month is no longer operable? Even the windows updates hat are done automatically are only done if you set up your computer to accept the upgrades automatically. Otherwise you will have to agree to each individual update.

...........yes cars have been dynoed pre and post recall. The result is a loss in HP, but mostly a loss in torque. These have been posted. Mine lost 15HP and 57Lbft of torque at the WHEEL!!

Ted
Old 08-10-2006, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Class action lawsuit anyone?