PIRELLI or YOKOHAMA for 20's!! HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 04:11 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIRELLI or YOKOHAMA for 20's!! HELP PLEASE

hey everyone,

looks like i'm in the market to pick up a nice set of 20's for the beast!!! as far as i know the only brands available are Pirelli and Yokohama that makes the sizes i'm looking for.

245/30 Fronts
285/25 Rears

Pirelli PZero Nero or Yokohama ADVAN Sport

i wanted to see from any owners that have 20's on what brand are you using and what would be closest to the PS2's. i would rather choose noise over performance with these sizes.

last but not least, anyone that has 20's have the shimmy issue at all. i know its pretty common with the 55s and just wanted to see if it only happens with the stock 18's.

thanks everyone....

p.s. decided to go with the AVUS MO-2's (black center with the chrome lip) my car is silver, so hopefully it will look okay..
Old 08-09-2006, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is Sick as Fu*k
Originally Posted by vuquach
hey everyone,

looks like i'm in the market to pick up a nice set of 20's for the beast!!! as far as i know the only brands available are Pirelli and Yokohama that makes the sizes i'm looking for.

245/30 Fronts
285/25 Rears

i wanted to see from any owners that have 20's on what brand are you using and what would be closest to the PS2's. i would rather choose noise over performance with these sizes.

last but not least, anyone that has 20's have the shimmy issue at all. i know its pretty common with the 55s and just wanted to see if it only happens with the stock 18's.

thanks everyone....

p.s. decided to go with the AVUS MO-2's (black center with the chrome lip) my car is silver, so hopefully it will look okay..

SHIMMY ISSUE, WHATS THAT???
Old 08-09-2006, 05:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
Thumbs up Pirelli's or Yokohamas

Hi Vuquach,

I recommend you going with the Yokohama Advan Sport tires instead of the Pirelli Neros due to the traction is superior. The only negative is that the Advan Sports are rated at 180 treadware which is not much at all. But if you're looking for treadware then go with the Pirelli Neros. There is also the new Falken FK-452 tires but they don't have a release date for the 245/30-20 and the 285/25-20 yet. I might be able to grab you a set of the Continental Contact 2 before they're gone. They are gonna be replaced by the Contact 3 tires. Call me or PM me if you have any further questions or concerns.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
YOKOHAMA !!! Sticks even better the PS2...
Old 08-09-2006, 08:28 AM

pirreli is a softer tyre and will give u less noise and more mileage.

yoko a little better traction only
Old 08-09-2006, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by M5 RUS
YOKOHAMA !!! Sticks even better the PS2...
Really??? Because my Yokohama Advan Sports are all over the road?!?!
Old 08-09-2006, 10:58 AM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by vuquach
hey everyone,

245/30 Fronts
285/25 Rears

thanks everyone....

the shimmy issue happens w/my pirelli pzero nero in 20".once the car has sat for a few days it's noticeable but after 20 minutes of driving they are fine.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Almost a Member!

hi everyone thanks for all of the suggestions.

looks like so far this is a 50/50 topic with the brands. i can either go with the yok's with better traction but less tread or stick with peri's with lower road noise but may have to deal with the shimmy.

hmmmm... i guess i can always flip a coin....

i would definitely love to hear from any other owners that have the tires on now to see your results and likes/dislikes.

i will definitely post pictures once everything is put and ready to roll..

thanks