Sponsored by:

Help With Mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold
Help With Mods

Hey everyone, sorry to beat a dead horse, but i need some help. I already did a search and found some good info, but not exactly what i'm looking for.

I want to mod my car a little. So far I am in line to get one of the carbon airboxes that Vrus is making. I also recently started thinking about getting some headers.The EVOsport ones look like the best choice for me since i'm in cali, and dont want to mess with the cats. I don't want to add any boost yet, so no pulley. I also don't want to mess with the ECU yet if I don't need to. My main question is this:

Do I need to re-tune the ECU if I just change the headers.

Vrus has told me that I dont need to, while EVOsport has told me twice that I will need to because it will run lean, and they even told me that i'd need to do the pulley and ECU first.

Has anyone done just the headers, and dyno'd it to make sure that the A/F ratio is safe?

Thanks in advance.

Ara
Old 08-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Since your car is still stock, first things first get a dyno done so you have a baseline.

Second, go ahead and dyno after you get the headers. If you think you're running lean, then get the ECU so you can adjust your timings (is that the right term guys?) to modify your air/fuel mixture so you're not running lean or rich.

From what I understand, Evosport should have all the ability to flash your chip in house. If you do find that you're running rich or lean, you can always get a Powerchip right then and there.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Ara,

Like I told you via PM.. I ran the headers on my car with stock programming... Dont know why the Evo guys are telling you that.. You dont need ECU to be done.. You *SHOULD* do ECU if you want to take full advantage of the headers because the headers drop the boost 1 or 2lbs and because of the freer flowing nature of them you can increase timing and bump fuel a bit.

But, it is not a necessity.. Car runs perfectly fine & safe with just headers and not tune..

Here is my stock dyno and my dyno with just headers...

Stock: 411rwhp, 476rwtq
Headers: 442rwhp, 496rwtq

Old 08-10-2006, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
That's what I would suggest too. (pre mod dyno)

Just curious why you don't wanna mess with ECU. The throttle response is just great with ECU. It is a pain to keep asking dealer not to flash it, but if you did headers and ECU, you would LOVE IT!!!

Do make sure you get pre dyno done though.

Just not sure what the difference is like with just headers. Has anyone on the forum even done that?? If it was up to me, I would go ECU before headers, but to each his own.

Mod away my AMG brotha!

**edit**HA. Victor and I posted and near the same time.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
That's what I would suggest too. (pre mod dyno)

Just curious why you don't wanna mess with ECU. The throttle response is just great with ECU. It is a pain to keep asking dealer not to flash it, but if you did headers and ECU, you would LOVE IT!!!

Do make sure you get pre dyno done though.

Just not sure what the difference is like with just headers. Has anyone on the forum even done that?? If it was up to me, I would go ECU before headers, but to each his own.

Mod away my AMG brotha!

**edit**HA. Victor and I posted and near the same time.
Puh-leeze, you guys were ten minutes apart
Old 08-10-2006, 03:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold
Thanks for the responses guys. I want to have the car dyno'd before and after. I am just unsure if I am going to have EVOsport do the work, or if i'll have somebody else install the headers. It would be ideal to have them do the baseline run, the install and then dyno it again after the install. Hey Victor, who should I talk to at EVO?