W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car has developed a severe "wiggle" under load.... Toe links FAILED??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Car has developed a severe "wiggle" under load.... Toe links FAILED??

Last night I went to "kick it down" around a slow moving vehicle on the 405 freeway and when I did, the back of the car shifted left then right as the rear axel went from unloaded to loaded. When I lifted off the gas, the car again wiggled left and then right. It also wiggles when it shifts firmly or at redline. I have had wheels almost fall off for stupid reasons and it kind of felt like the rear driver’s wheel was about to go its own way!

I called my shop foreman at home and asked him if it was safe to drive being that the car was literally wiggling a foot or two every time I put it under load. He said it sounds like the rear toe links have failed allowing the car to have pronounced changes in toe as you load and unload the axle. He just said drive home slowly and if it starts making sounds and wiggling horribly call a tow truck.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I think this is the same issue that surfaces when you have a modified vehicle with large wheels and times (combined with huge amounts of power -- Kleemann and RENNtech cars). I know RENNtech has made new toe links that have no bushings and which do not flex in an effort to keep the axle from wiggling under load.

Being that my car is 100% stock, I don’t think it should be "wiggling" and I don’t think that it should be wiggling when going 80 on the freeway. 2 gearshifts or 3rd gear for that matter should not cause so much load as to make a stock car wiggle.

I never got on it from a stand still being that I feared causing serious damage.

I will take the car down Monday but wanted to get any info before going in.

This will be the 4 time this month taking the car to the shop! Sure wish it could stay around for a weekend and actually work!! So it goes!

Thanks for the info... Have a good weekend!!!!

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 08-12-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
If it moves the same direction every time, then it's either a toe-link or a halfshaft. If it's going both directions, then no telling.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
ya its the same every time...

thanks GTA
Old 08-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Bushings?

At any rate, I'd recommend the toe links if you really want to resolve it AND get on it. You don't need to be modified to tweak the rear toe, since it has plenty of power stock. If you floor it lots, it is a common thing to wear out.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Be careful if your rear Toe Links failed. As you have experienced this leads to some not so nice vicious trajectory jaunts and you don't want to end up in the side of a hill.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by awiner
Be careful if your rear Toe Links failed. As you have experienced this leads to some not so nice vicious trajectory jaunts and you don't want to end up in the side of a hill.
HAHA! It won't be the first time he's seen a hillside up close this year!
Old 08-13-2006, 08:33 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Toe Links??

I' maybe way off . But I'm thinking Motor mounts. I've had them break / delaminate and it will throw the car all over the place. but then again what do I know.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I got what half shafts do, but can someone explain what toe links do and where I can slide under and check mine out.Sounds scary.Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2006, 09:35 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

toe links?

there is a bar that goes from the rear 1/2 shaft bearing hsg Top side. Next to the dust shield. Goes forward and to the center . is attached to the subframe with a bolt that has a excentric / oblong washer build on it. It is used to set the rear wheel toe-in. I'll look for a picture then post it Ever since I lowered my car I can'nt get my fat head under it to take a picture

Attached Images Borrowed
Attached Thumbnails Car has developed a severe "wiggle" under load.... Toe links FAILED??-a2001f6867b570mbs-1-.jpg  

Last edited by PTE; 08-13-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
WOW..thanks again!!

That was great!
Old 08-13-2006, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
Excellent...I was going to ask to see a pic of this setup...since I don't know squat about it....thanks for the pic !!
Old 08-13-2006, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
A "Heads-up" on how to stop the rear wiggles.
Call RENNTech and order the 32 211 14 42 Toe Link kit.
I have a kit on my 93' 500E and now the car goes & brakes straight as an arrow.

Originally Posted by PTE
there is a bar that goes from the rear 1/2 shaft bearing hsg Top side. Next to the dust shield. Goes forward and to the center . is attached to the subframe with a bolt that has a excentric / oblong washer build on it. It is used to set the rear wheel toe-in. I'll look for a picture then post it Ever since I lowered my car I can'nt get my fat head under it to take a picture

Attached Images Borrowed
Old 08-13-2006, 12:07 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toe Links

Glad this helps. You would have to be a really BAD BOY to tear out any rear supension link arms. !!! I've had mine out on the floor. When I installed the Qauife TBD , I also put in Speedybnz camber bars. > lowered the car with Kleemann springs. This rear subframe assy is very well (Overbuilt)
Happy Motoring ___PTE___
Old 08-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I have not seen the actual toe link metal fail, but I have seen the bushings go to hell. then the thing bangs around until something fails. That is when all hell breaks loose.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by jangy
I have not seen the actual toe link metal fail, but I have seen the bushings go to hell. then the thing bangs around until something fails. That is when all hell breaks loose.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the info guys!

I hope you are right with this as its an easy item to fix. I will let everyone know what my shop foreman says tomorrow morning when I limp the car down there.

I think GTA is right in what he said and from the feel of it I think i should be the toe link. I know they are an issue for these cars.

I wont get into a moaning session here but this is what happens when MB makes a 500 hp car with no suspension upgrades over a car with a whimpy 260 hp V6 other than shock rates. Do you think the M5 has the same links as a 530i? I dont think so.... GO BENZ

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 08-13-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Actually, the rear suspension is one thing I will give BMW anyway. The toe on them stays neutral throughout the compression, unlike our Benzes that twist as they compress. As far as your other statement, the toe link issue is more of a TQ issue than HP. Trust me, BMWs have no resolution either, other than to not have the TQ. It is the twist of the power that causes it and it is EXTEREMLY common in most high TQ cars. Could Benz have done a better job? Yes. But, OEM bushings always suck. Dunno why. Good ones aren't even that expensive.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:07 PM

05 E55
curious ... what size tires do you have... did you recently change them?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Loren
curious ... what size tires do you have... did you recently change them?
I am 100% stock and have 80% worn rear PS2's. Stock wheels stock sizes.

I ran into one of your employees at the top of Stunt and Schuren a while back... I think he said he has a C230k.... he must have been the one who made the vid of you racing the stock E55 on the 101 in woodland hills.

Will post more info after I get to work tomorrow. By then I will have had it up in the air with my shop foreman.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Actually, the rear suspension is one thing I will give BMW anyway. The toe on them stays neutral throughout the compression, unlike our Benzes that twist as they compress. As far as your other statement, the toe link issue is more of a TQ issue than HP. Trust me, BMWs have no resolution either, other than to not have the TQ. It is the twist of the power that causes it and it is EXTEREMLY common in most high TQ cars. Could Benz have done a better job? Yes. But, OEM bushings always suck. Dunno why. Good ones aren't even that expensive.
What I am getting at however is that BMW has different suspension links, busings, subframes, mounting points, hubs etc for their M cars while MB just uses the same parts along the whole line.

So an M5's suspension is designed to take the load of the stiffer springs, added power, higher cornering loads etc while the MB is just a gussied up E350 AirMatic edition. This is what AMG needs to change. I think next generation AMG cars will address this since the current system of design is not cutting it!
Old 08-14-2006, 12:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
What I am getting at however is that BMW has different suspension links, busings, subframes, mounting points, hubs etc for their M cars while MB just uses the same parts along the whole line.

So an M5's suspension is designed to take the load of the stiffer springs, added power, higher cornering loads etc while the MB is just a gussied up E350 AirMatic edition. This is what AMG needs to change. I think next generation AMG cars will address this since the current system of design is not cutting it!
I know what you mean. I just think that many manufacturers, MB, BMW, and even P-Cars included have watered their cars down. Keep in mind that the original M3 even had a modified body (shorter wheelbase), came only in a stick, and had no cabrio. Now, an M3 is truly a supped up 330ic as is the M5. As far as MB goes, I don't think they will be going back to the cars of character. Notice that every bodystyle now has an AMG version. The only hope left for people like us is for them to start offering performance packages (ala 030) on a performance car!!
Old 08-14-2006, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
I know what you mean. I just think that many manufacturers, MB, BMW, and even P-Cars included have watered their cars down. Keep in mind that the original M3 even had a modified body (shorter wheelbase), came only in a stick, and had no cabrio. Now, an M3 is truly a supped up 330ic as is the M5. As far as MB goes, I don't think they will be going back to the cars of character. Notice that every bodystyle now has an AMG version. The only hope left for people like us is for them to start offering performance packages (ala 030) on a performance car!!

But even the current M3 and M5 use unique parts over the stock non M version. The M3 has totally different parts that are stamped with the M logo. Springs and shocks from an E46 M3 wont bolt onto a 330i but the springs and shocks on a C55 will bolt right onto your 30k C230. Same goes for just about everything else in those M Car suspensions.

While M cars have been dulled down a bit, MB cars with the AMG letters are becoming main stream, boring, and almost to plain.

You can buy a C230 that looks like a C55 for the most part (exact same as a C32), you can buy a body kit to make the SL look like a 65.... where is the special thrill of the AMG?

Ok I will stop before people start getting on my back. But you know where I am coming from and can say im right
Old 08-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
But even the current M3 and M5 use unique parts over the stock non M version. The M3 has totally different parts that are stamped with the M logo. Springs and shocks from an E46 M3 wont bolt onto a 330i but the springs and shocks on a C55 will bolt right onto your 30k C230. Same goes for just about everything else in those M Car suspensions.

While M cars have been dulled down a bit, MB cars with the AMG letters are becoming main stream, boring, and almost to plain.

You can buy a C230 that looks like a C55 for the most part (exact same as a C32), you can buy a body kit to make the SL look like a 65.... where is the special thrill of the AMG?

Ok I will stop before people start getting on my back. But you know where I am coming from and can say im right
HAHA. yes, I'll agree with you on that. I feel for ya Bro. Get the new toe links so you can love the beast again. It may share suspension parts, but where else you gonna get a 5.5 liter supercharged engine? At least the engine is still AMG. Actually, my shocks do say AMG on them, not that I disagree.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
HAHA. yes, I'll agree with you on that. I feel for ya Bro. Get the new toe links so you can love the beast again. It may share suspension parts, but where else you gonna get a 5.5 liter supercharged engine? At least the engine is still AMG. Actually, my shocks do say AMG on them, not that I disagree.

Yes shocks are AMG spec thats true. And the bar is bigger in the front I think. But that is where the unique suspension parts end! The rest is same old stuff. So we got a spring and shock upgade for 25k!

But yes the motor is a sweet lump and I wont disagree. Massive torque and good stoplight fun!
Old 08-14-2006, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone

AMG's and M cars both suffer the same issues of homogeneousness. Unless someone knows a lot about cars, they can't tell my M5 from a 530 until they're reading my badges. Then there's the new BMW FACTORY kit that makes everyone's 530/545/550/whatever look like an M5. Some guy in a Golf GTI tried to race me the other day and when we got to a light he was laughing his a$$ off. The guy pulled down his window and said "I didn't even know that was an M5!" Sucks for us I guess. Honestly though we could all be driving Yellow Z06's and Vipers, but I enjoy being under the pigs' radar.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:44 PM

05 E55
I am 100% stock and have 80% worn rear PS2's. Stock wheels stock sizes.

I ran into one of your employees at the top of Stunt and Schuren a while back... I think he said he has a C230k.... he must have been the one who made the vid of you racing the stock E55 on the 101 in woodland hills.

Will post more info after I get to work tomorrow. By then I will have had it up in the air with my shop foreman.
haha, yeah, that's Michael... he's a good guy.

Interested to hear what happens with this... I'm so used to that wiggle with tires that are a little too large... I thought maybe you had the same. Obviously this is more severe and serious...

Loren

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car has developed a severe "wiggle" under load.... Toe links FAILED??