Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maserati Quattroporte

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
The QP's tranny definately takes some getting used to. The first time I drove one I hated it too. After a while though, you learn how to drive it. Once you understand how it works and you start working WITH it instead of fighting it, it's really very nice.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
I agree with Marcus Frost to some extent. The transmission is downright terrible in city driving. However, the QP is very fun once you get used to it.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by cte430
Rafal, it's interesting that you think the E55 feels nimble compared to the Q when Evo had the Q faster than the M5 around the track and we all know the E55 vs. M5 handling question.
Too me it just felt "BIG", but it's all subjective. Some cars are quick around the track despite their bulk.
I hated the gearbox,so I may have been biased and put off the rest of the car. Many motor journos felt the same way. That is why Maserati has finally switched to the fully auto 6speed ZF, I think, in it's latest model.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rafal
Too me it just felt "BIG", but it's all subjective. Some cars are quick around the track despite their bulk.
That is why Maserati has finally switched to the fully auto 6speed ZF, I think, in it's latest model.
It feels smaller the harder you drive it. Make no mistake, it is not a sportscar, just as the E55 is not a sportscar. They are fast (and fastest, respectively) sedans with great handling characteristics.

As for the 6 speed, there are 2 QP models coming out next year. One with 450 HP which will keep the cambiocorsa transmission (which will also be revised for faster shifting) and the ZF 6 speed auto for the non-sport model and all those who can't figure out how to use a F1 style transmission.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
The Sport GT model supposedly has an improved shift program. The Quattroporte is dead sexy. WAY sexier than the E55. Also, everythign I have read says the handling is superb for a 4-door luxury car. While I love the E55, there is no doubt I would pick the QP over it if given the choice. But, considering a QP is much more expensive and has larger dimensions, its kind of an apples to oranges comparison.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by OPEC
and the ZF 6 speed auto for the non-sport model and all those who can't figure out how to use a F1 style transmission.
I'm not trying to get into an arguement here, but if you are somehow insinuating that I don't know how to operate an F1 style transmission, you couldn't be more wrong. I've driven SMGs from just about every manufacturer that offers one today. BMW, Lambo, Ferrari, Mas, etc. I know how to work an F1, and in a 360 Challenge Stradale, I can understand jerky shifts and a racecar feel. In a $100k luxury sedan, I do not want to have the tranny shifting like a Stradale while I'm carrying 3 business associates to lunch. The MAS tranny is rubbish, and I know I'm not even close to the first person who thinks so. Many well-respected magazines have shared the same sentiments.

-m
Old 08-23-2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
I'm not trying to get into an arguement here, but if you are somehow insinuating that I don't know how to operate an F1 style transmission, you couldn't be more wrong.
-m
I'm not looking to get into an argument. No hard feelings, Marcus. Maybe I should have said people's expectations of an F1 style transmission were too high. There's a lurch because it has a clutch, not a torque converter. Maserati was working with Audi's DSG to fix this but they couldn't keep it together with higher torque engines and the agreement ended when Maserati was broken from Ferrari. I wasn't expecting smooth shifts when I bought the car. The biggest problem with the QP is that it doesn't quite know what it is. It is not a luxury car in the class of the main 3 because it requires too much driver involvement to be driven like a luxury car and it cannot be driven smoothly. They've got the balance and handling down, but it needs more horsepower. I bought mine because the car demands driver involvement and I love it.

By the way, this one thread has had more action than the Maserati boards in their entirety.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:15 PM

E55
I love the QP but wouldn't get one because of the terrible dealer here in Houston. Very snobby when I went to look and I hear that some people drive right in for service and others wait days for an oil change. They also sell Ferraris and I heard that you could be "black balled" if you don't sell your Ferrari back to them at trade in......
Old 08-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If I remember right there was a revised tranny for the QP. Too many people complained about the F1 tranny (because it really did suck, ever try to cruise in that car? not elegent at all).

corgiamn - what's wrong with Ferrari of Houston? The guys there have been great to me and they know I'm not going to be a car anytime soon. I figure it's been a while since I took these so I should be allowed to post them now.

We almost got a QP until we drove it slowly. It's great on the edge (or as much of an edge you can be on in a four door sedan) but as a normal daily driver it fails. (Remember, this was the old transmission, I can swear that I've read somewhere that it has a new tranmission or at least software as was mentioned above).

Old 08-25-2006, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
If I remember right there was a revised tranny for the QP. Too many people complained about the F1 tranny (because it really did suck, ever try to cruise in that car? not elegent at all).

corgiamn - what's wrong with Ferrari of Houston? The guys there have been great to me and they know I'm not going to be a car anytime soon. I figure it's been a while since I took these so I should be allowed to post them now.

We almost got a QP until we drove it slowly. It's great on the edge (or as much of an edge you can be on in a four door sedan) but as a normal daily driver it fails. (Remember, this was the old transmission, I can swear that I've read somewhere that it has a new tranmission or at least software as was mentioned above).

Lol, the guy (salesman?) with the Ferrari shirt looks like he's saying, "Pssst, just get a Ferrari instead."
Old 08-25-2006, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
LOL, he does!