W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed Primary Cats and got SES lights !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Removed Primary Cats and got SES lights !!!

I am a bit upset but the BEAST just sounds "Insane" now...and I think it pulls even harder at high RPMs...

After driving the car 60-70 miles, I went to pertol station, filled some gas, started the engine and suddenly my eyes catch that "Check Engine" light...Not good but at least it doesnt affect car performance...

Now the questions for the experts here:

Both Kleemann and One company from AUS who produced my Headers said that if I move my Secondary O2 sensor behind Secondary CATs I shoudnt get this SES light

Later yesterdays I tried to adjust my E-mufflers (not happy with fit and finish)...and looked at how O2 sensors installed...

They are installed in the same location as they where behind Primary CATS but the at diffrenent anlges (otherwise they wont fit, not enought clearence) of like 60 degrees towards the motor, not like stock ones...which where 90 degree extacly...

Therefore I am thinking may be this is the PROBLEM, I thinking of moving them on the sides (before on top) and install them at 90 angle like they where before...???

Also we had to use new longer wirring and may be this can cause SES as will and longer wiries should have diff voltage ???

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 08-23-2006 at 04:33 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
...........if your primary CATs are removed in the AMGV8K cars, you will get a check engine light. In my experience no type of repositioning of the O2 sensors or placement of spacers or simulators makes this go away. Either you get headers that do not require removal of any emission components or you have to have the check engine light programmed off. If your car has recall software, you CANNOT have the check engine light programmed off.

Ted
Old 08-23-2006, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20+ to list......
E55 RUS,
Read my reply to your other post. I don't know which spacers Ted is referring to, but so far mines are working on the rear O2s. Matt from Powerchip is going to get me a permanent fix on the problem, something like what Cory from Kleeman is doing, by the way, thanks for pointing me to Cory, Ted. He's been great help, and I would have gone to him for the fix if Powerchip didn't reply yesterday.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
OK...will wait till Cory get back next Monday and see what he says....

Anyone else have any suggestion ???
Old 08-23-2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
...........if your primary CATs are removed in the AMGV8K cars, you will get a check engine light. In my experience no type of repositioning of the O2 sensors or placement of spacers or simulators makes this go away. Either you get headers that do not require removal of any emission components or you have to have the check engine light programmed off. If your car has recall software, you CANNOT have the check engine light programmed off.

Ted
Not quite true,i have k4,had the check engine light,had the recall software,had Kleemann turn it off.......drove almost 1000 mls,still no engine check light.
I suggest they give Kleemann a call.....they will help him.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by jamusa
Not quite true,i have k4,had the check engine light,had the recall software,had Kleemann turn it off.......drove almost 1000 mls,still no engine check light.
I suggest they give Kleemann a call.....they will help him.
..........perhaps I should clarify. Already went into it in another thread. I have G55 K4 that Cory from Kleemann turned off the check engine light even after the recall. I am aware of this and already recommended others to go to Kleemann. My point is that the car owner himself is unable to turn this off by spacers or by ECU tunning which was possible prior to the recall. To turn off the check engine light, the programming needs to be done via the cars OBD ports. What Cory does when your car is not there is to install your ECU into a similar car and then program away the check engine light and then remove your ECU and send it back to you.

..........regarding the spacers and simulators, they do fail. I had mine done and check engine light went away. I drove from Atlanta to Miami with no problems and on my way back the check engine light came back. We repositioned it etc, same result until Cory fixed it.

..........2MANYCARS, I hope you are clear on what you are getting from Speedtunning. The relevant point here is that since the recall, simply downloading a program into your ECU NO LONGER solves this problem. It is important for those like E55 RUSS getting headers to know this. Everyone thinks that those of us complaing about this recall are just crazy. This topic was already discussed before, way before E55 RUSS got his headers and now has exactly the same problem that we were complaining about. His problem could have been avoided.

Ted
Old 08-23-2006, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Ted,
Again, thanks for the heads up, really appreciated. That's why I haven't done the ECU recall even though the service advisor kept telling me it is necessary, which at one point, I really wanna pop something into his mouth and shut him up. Speedtuning? You mean Powerchip Group? I deal with them directly, no middle man involved.

As a matter of fact, Matt from Powerchip called me earlier today that a new and updated software is avaliable, he also told me thay have found the control module for the O2s, which they are able to play around with them. I am sending them my ECU next Monday and I should know how everything is by Wednesday once everything is put back together.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by 2MANYCARS
Ted,
Again, thanks for the heads up, really appreciated. That's why I haven't done the ECU recall even though the service advisor kept telling me it is necessary, which at one point, I really wanna pop something into his mouth and shut him up. Speedtuning? You mean Powerchip Group? I deal with them directly, no middle man involved.

As a matter of fact, Matt from Powerchip called me earlier today that a new and updated software is avaliable, he also told me thay have found the control module for the O2s, which they are able to play around with them. I am sending them my ECU next Monday and I should know how everything is by Wednesday once everything is put back together.
..........I think I understand what you are saying. If your car has not had the recall work done, then your check engine light problem is relatively easier to fix. Normal ECU tunning from a reputable tuner should take care of it. After the recall, that same process no longer works. Sorry I meant Powerchip.

Ted
Old 08-24-2006, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..........I think I understand what you are saying. If your car has not had the recall work done, then your check engine light problem is relatively easier to fix. Normal ECU tunning from a reputable tuner should take care of it. After the recall, that same process no longer works. Sorry I meant Powerchip.

Ted
Just so I am clear on this, does the reprogramming simply fool the computer into ignoring the messages from the 02 sensors? The reason I ask is because I thought I read somewhere that someone suggested that it just deactivates the warning message for all purposes. In other words, if the message is "tuned away" by Kleeman, will it still activate for an unrelated fault?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
What Ted and Cory said on Kleeman's behalf is that they can get rid of the rear O2 sensors' codes if your ECU hadn't been flashed by MB's recall. I've also read something here that Kleeman is also able to reflash your "recall flashed" ECU back to where it was before the recall work was done. Can someone please jump in on this and confirm what I said above is true?
Old 08-24-2006, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by enzom
Just so I am clear on this, does the reprogramming simply fool the computer into ignoring the messages from the 02 sensors? The reason I ask is because I thought I read somewhere that someone suggested that it just deactivates the warning message for all purposes. In other words, if the message is "tuned away" by Kleeman, will it still activate for an unrelated fault?

Thanks.
I heard that Check Engine light can be programmed out by a dealer but forever, if anything goes wrong, you wont get check engine...Not too sure if this true...
Old 08-24-2006, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by 2MANYCARS
What Ted and Cory said on Kleeman's behalf is that they can get rid of the rear O2 sensors' codes if your ECU hadn't been flashed by MB's recall. I've also read something here that Kleeman is also able to reflash your "recall flashed" ECU back to where it was before the recall work was done. Can someone please jump in on this and confirm what I said above is true?
..........yes, but don't count it as a solution. This can only be done if you happen to be a Kleemann customer and Kleemann has saved a copy of your software before the recall. Installing a generic AMGV8K software is not a solution because there are actually various versions of the software even for cars of the same year, make and model.

Ted
Old 08-25-2006, 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Here is the way my O2 sensors located behind Primary CATS...

My the way they installed causes CEL lights

I am thinking of installing them at 90 but not sure if they should be more IN or OUT
Attached Thumbnails Removed Primary Cats and got SES lights !!!-re-exposure-resize-eisemann-exhaust-o2-sensors-002.jpg   Removed Primary Cats and got SES lights !!!-re-exposure-resize-eisemann-exhaust-o2-sensors-003.jpg   Removed Primary Cats and got SES lights !!!-re-exposure-resize-eisemann-exhaust-o2-sensors-008.jpg   Removed Primary Cats and got SES lights !!!-re-exposure-resize-eisemann-exhaust-o2-sensors-009.jpg  
Old 08-28-2006, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Any suggestions
Old 08-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Maybe they are not getting hot enough? Angle could help, but you may also need to move them.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Cory said they are installed properly...

Did diagnistics and its said left hand O2 sensors behind Cat is not functioning,,,

May be it got damamged, anyways shop who did all installation is replacing it...will see...
Old 08-29-2006, 02:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
Cory said they are installed properly...

Did diagnistics and its said left hand O2 sensors behind Cat is not functioning,,,

May be it got damamged, anyways shop who did all installation is replacing it...will see...
Haha, that is quite common. I have seen many get toasted! It is a tough battle to get enough heat on them and yet not cook them.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by jangy
Haha, that is quite common. I have seen many get toasted! It is a tough battle to get enough heat on them and yet not cook them.
Dealer actually said it must be an installation fault...other one installed same way and works fine....