6.1L Hemi SRT8 Jeep

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by e55 baller
Will the SRT8 beat a Porsche Caynne Turbo (450hp) in the 0-60, 1/4? What about the 520hp Turbo-S Caynne. I can't performance data for ANY of these cars in the recent mags. Thanks.
I don't know about the Turbo S, but i think it's faster or just as fast as the Turbo.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:13 AM

14 'E550
Originally Posted by MiamiE55
I don't know about the Turbo S, but i think it's faster or just as fast as the Turbo.
Just ordered an 07 SRT8 (Steel Blue)....love the thing. A fifteen minute test drive was all I needed. As said though, if you're looking for a smooth ride (the truck tramlines) or lot's of cargo room look elsewhere. Don't forget the tranny is bulletproof in the SRT8, uses the AMG 5spd from what I gather.

Gas mileage really isn't much worse than what the 5.7liter gets.

On the Turbo S......post on the Jeep board. Don't take his 0-60 quotes as being pure fact obviously, its just what he happened to come up with.

A friend recently bought himself a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, for the tidy MSRP of over $120k, and I just took it out for a spin (by myself).

Let me cut to the chase.... the Turbo S has no chance against the Jeep SRT8 and you can safely attempt kills in the stop light races with no fear of losing.

He traded in his Cayenne Turbo, which you may recall I measured at 5.4s 0-60 (with brake-standing). The Cayenne Turbo could not even break under 6s with no brake standing. With the same device, on the same day, I measured 4.3s in my bone stock (but ridden real hard for all of its nearly 15k miles).

Well, the Turbo S definitely feels very much different to the Turbo. Believe it or not, but it "feels" much more like the SRT8. The previous Porsche felt a little wallowy to me compared to this one. The Turbo S handles unbelievably... better than the SRT8 in my most humble opinion. It is very smooth, very tight. It also feels much stronger than the Turbo. Throttle response is much more immediate, and it feels like there is much more torque at lower RPMs, as long as you are moving and have those turbos spooled up. However, from a dead stop, it has nothing on the SRT-8. From the "seat of the pants", I reckon it would be really tough to get this much under 5s in a 0-60 launch. Even when I brake-standed it, and spooled the turbos up, it didn't have the same kick as my Jeep. However, once it got going, it pulled like crazy, although never with the maximum acceleration of the SRT-8.

Last edited by Beltfed; 08-24-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Will the SRT8 beat a Porsche Caynne Turbo (450hp) in the 0-60, 1/4? What about the 520hp Turbo-S Caynne. I can't performance data for ANY of these cars in the recent mags. Thanks.
the numbers i remember show the turbo being 8/10 of a second slower in the 1/4mile and nearly the same 0-60. don't know about the turbo-s. either way, the cayanne is a PIG at 3 tons.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
With the same device, on the same day, I measured 4.3s in my bone stock (but ridden real hard for all of its nearly 15k miles).
That guy is full of *****.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Banned

w210 E55
My friend took me for a spin in his.....damn that thing launches hard! Never really raced him yet in my W210 E55....
Old 08-24-2006, 01:10 PM

14 'E550
Originally Posted by MiamiE55
That guy is full of *****.

I don't think he's full of ****, just don't think he's calculating correctly.

C&D got 4.5sec to 60.

Whatever it is, the SRT is very quick.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by WayneE
If you need AWD to drive in the wet, you should go to a driving school.
Yeah, I'll bear that in mind.

To think all these years I thought AWD was advantageous in wet weather, what was I thinking? Race your more powerful E against a well-driven RS6 on rain-soaked track and try keeping up, Superman. Psssh.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by transferred
Yeah, I'll bear that in mind.

To think all these years I thought AWD was advantageous in wet weather, what was I thinking? Race your more powerful E against a well-driven RS6 on rain-soaked track and try keeping up, Superman. Psssh.

Totally unrelated to the discussion.

In the context of this conversation, your comment regarding the Magnum vs. Jeep (both SRT-8 versions), you panned the Magnum for being a RWD car and inferred that it was an inferior road car because it lacked AWD for wet driving. You said...

Originally Posted by newton22
Fast wagons > fast SUVs.

Originally Posted by transferred
Not in the wet- unless awd- and I wouldn't fancy parking one on a muddy field .
Comparing the Jeep SRT-8 and Magnum SRT-8 as offroad or track vehicles is preposterous. They are road vehicles, pure and simple. Either vehicle would do just as poorly on wet grass as a rocky trail or snow.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Received 507 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Loren,

Sweet addition!!!!! I love that thing. I was sooooo close to picking one of those up a couple of weeks ago but I broke down and listened to my wife and got her a girly Lexus IS350.

I had a BADASSS black one all picked out for her but I guess she just wasn't feelin it like I was.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by WayneE
Totally unrelated to the discussion.

In the context of this conversation, your comment regarding the Magnum vs. Jeep (both SRT-8 versions), you panned the Magnum for being a RWD car and inferred that it was an inferior road car because it lacked AWD for wet driving. You said...

Comparing the Jeep SRT-8 and Magnum SRT-8 as offroad or track vehicles is preposterous. They are road vehicles, pure and simple. Either vehicle would do just as poorly on wet grass as a rocky trail or snow.
"Totally unrelated to the discussion" would be your insinuation I cannot drive in the wet without AWD simply because i said that awd is an advantage in adverse weather conditions. I certainly don't remember panning the Magnum. On that note though, it is my understanding (though I am not sure) that the SRT 8 Magnum is RWD. Therefore the Jeep would most likely fare better on wet grass. I also think the Jeep SRT8 is a great SUV option and priced very well.
That is all, I have no desire to get in an argument with a total stranger across the internet, I was just posting my point of view.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:22 PM
MBH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55 Delivered 01/07/05
Originally Posted by Beltfed
Just ordered an 07 SRT8 (Steel Blue)....love the thing. A fifteen minute test drive was all I needed. As said though, if you're looking for a smooth ride (the truck tramlines) or lot's of cargo room look elsewhere. Don't forget the tranny is bulletproof in the SRT8, uses the AMG 5spd from what I gather.

I have owned my Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.7 Liter Hemi for about 2 years. It totally SUCKS on Gas. I am getting at best 14MPG. Your new SRT 8 will get at best 8-10MPG if you drive normal. Since gas is now over $3/gallon, you can bet on making very good friends with your local gas station. I can't wait to get ride of my Hemi Jeep next year infavor of the new Diesel Grand Cherokee with the new Mercedes benz Bluetech diesel.

Here's a pic of the gas guzzling beast with my E55 on the lift in my warehouse/toyhouse.
Attached Thumbnails 6.1L Hemi SRT8 Jeep-jeep-shop.jpg  

Last edited by MBH; 08-24-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:36 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by MBH
I have owned my Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.7 Liter Hemi for just about 2 years. It totally SUCKS on Gas. I am getting at best 14MPG. Your new SRT 8 will get at best 8-10MPG if you drive normal. Since gas is now over $3/gallon, you can bet on making very good friends with your local gas station. I can't wait to get ride of my Hemi Jeep next year infavor of the new Diesel Grand Cherokee with the new Mercedes benz Bluetech diesel.

Some of us aren't really concerned about gas prices. I don't drive great distances, and cars are purely sport and errands for me. Hell, my office is the house next door to me.

So, my buying decisions are not based on gas prices or consumption. I can understand why this is dfferent for others... and as noted, its why we have a E320 CDI for long comfortable gas-conscious trips.

Loren
Old 08-24-2006, 03:37 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by Beltfed

On the Turbo S......post on the Jeep board. Don't take his 0-60 quotes as being pure fact obviously, its just what he happened to come up with.
Yeah, I'm afraid to look at the steel blue... I LOVE blue... but the inferno red is addicting too... do you have a pic of the steel blue?

Loren
Old 08-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Loren
"barely has more power"? Are you kidding me? Have you driven an SRT8 Jeep? You won't even remember what your 5.7 engine felt like after driving it... its night and day.

Jangy, I don't know what you're smoking, but a NINETY horsepower difference in identical cars is the difference between R movies and X rated movies. Why not get a frickin' E500 instead of an E55? They have the same power difference, right? Go drive an SRT8 and then revisit your power statement. Better yet, trade your E55 in for an E500 since they are so close in power... you can get those in 4 wheel drive too, unlike an E55...

the AWD system in the SRT8 is actually really strong... they purposely did not put in 4x4 because, as noted many times, its not supposed to be an offroad vehicle... like any 2 wheel drive suv, or any ML 55... that's just not what its supposed to do. Onroad... and doing so very fast... while offering SUV type amenities is what it attempts to accomplish. I just love the thing.

And a commander is once again in a different category... the escalade / GL category. And a commander doesn't break any offroad records either. I'll take my lifted H2 over any Jeep offroad any day of the week...

So, it comes down to what you want in your car. 4 doors sedans with 500hp appease a very special and unique crowd... those who want passenger room and performance. The SRT8 is no more ridiculous than an E55... and actually offers more space, fold down seating, and AWD... for half the cost.

By the way, I drove it long range on the freeway today... average mpg was 16.8 with cruise control set at 70 for 30 miles... not that bad, actually, all things considered...

Loren
Loren:
I only smoke the sticky icky, so I hope that helps. I wasn't attacking your purchase in any way and actually never read your post on having one. You make many points, so i will address each separately. Yes, I have driven an SRT-8 (all of them in fact). I am a Jeep nut, so this is not a subject that is new to me. I absolutely give you the 90hp increase, but I'd ask that you do note that my Commander has 375 lb-ft of torque, while the SRT-8 has 420 lb-ft of torque. Not exactly the same as the E500 to E55 comparison, but point taken. Also, my Commander is heavily modded, so that changes a few things. The part about the H2 being better offroad than any Jeep only brings to question the quality of your smokes. we don't need to start that debate. All I can say is that I have plenty of pictures of ME pulling GMCs and Fords out of situations and have yet to be helped by one of them. You do know that the H2 is simply a Chevy with a hummer body, right? Lastly, let's be clear. The SRT-8 is NOT AWD it has the Quadra-Trac® Active On-Demand 4WD System, while the 5.7L Hemi GC has the Quadra Drive II.

The only point I was making was this. I simply did not see what market this would compete in. If you are a hardcore offroader, you have to go with the 5.7, since it gets the best OEM 4X4 system out. If you are a road racer guy, then why not a whole slew of either Sedans or SUVs that have the 400hp? I understand you like it and that is great. I also think that the $50 price point is a great one for all the SRT-8s. But that is it. I've never been one to own a truck that i do not use as a truck.

Sorry again for hurting your feelings. I love Jeeps. All of the, including the SRT-8 and didn't mean to attack you of all people.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:58 PM
MBH

2005 E55 Delivered 01/07/05
Some of us aren't really concerned about gas prices. I don't drive great distances, and cars are purely sport and errands for me. Hell, my office is the house next door to me.

So, my buying decisions are not based on gas prices or consumption. I can understand why this is dfferent for others... and as noted, its why we have a E320 CDI for long comfortable gas-conscious trips.

Loren
Loren,

I understand, I bought my Grand Cherokee 2 years ago to get to work and go through the snow in the winter months. I also have an E55 and a new 997S. I will NEVER take those cars out in the snow months thats why I have the Jeep. Both my E55 and my 997S get 2-4MPG better than my Jeep!!!! Since gas has gotten so out of control I am looking into a Diesel Jeep with MB motor next year or as soon as it comes out.

Best of luck with your new SRT-8, I'm sure it's awesome!!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Almost a Member!

05 E55 AMG
We needed a new vehicle for the wife and I wasn't going to get something that would be annoying to drive so at first we concentrated on the Jeep SRT-8. It's quicker than the 300C/Charger/Magnum SRT-8 by an appreciable amount. Took one on a test drive and I liked everything except the tiny interior. That was a deal breaker. The drivers seating area is cramped/tight, the back seat is not very wide, and the rear cargo area is pretty small. Ended up getting a loaded Magnum SRT-8 and we have ALOT of room with it. It gets a little better gas mileage around town too (15-ish).

It's a blast. It was a little weak when I picked it up from the dealer but its alot faster now that it has 2000+ miles.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:52 PM

14 'E550
Originally Posted by MBH
I have owned my Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.7 Liter Hemi for about 2 years. It totally SUCKS on Gas. I am getting at best 14MPG. Your new SRT 8 will get at best 8-10MPG if you drive normal.
Most owners who post are getting between 11-15mpg on average with the SRT.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:57 PM

14 'E550
Yeah, I'm afraid to look at the steel blue... I LOVE blue... but the inferno red is addicting too... do you have a pic of the steel blue?
Unfortunately, colors are limited with the SRT.....and Inferno was only offered in 06 for the SRT.

For 07, there is Red Rock Crystal Pearlcoat....which is absolutely hideous.

These are old pre-production SRT8 photos and happen to be steel blue. Looks light in the sun and dark when not (as seen in person on a standard GC and Commander Limited). Definitely an understated color.

Last edited by Beltfed; 08-24-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
No way...blue...cool. I was told only red, black, and silver....I guess that is for '06? I didn't realize the 5speed was AMG...not bad.

<<Just ordered an 07 SRT8 (Steel Blue)....love the thing.

A fifteen minute test drive was all I needed. As said though, if you're looking for a smooth ride (the truck tramlines) or lot's of cargo room look elsewhere. Don't forget the tranny is bulletproof in the SRT8, uses the AMG 5spd from what I gather.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:25 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by jangy
Loren:
I only smoke the sticky icky, so I hope that helps. I wasn't attacking your purchase in any way and actually never read your post on having one. You make many points, so i will address each separately. Yes, I have driven an SRT-8 (all of them in fact). I am a Jeep nut, so this is not a subject that is new to me. I absolutely give you the 90hp increase, but I'd ask that you do note that my Commander has 375 lb-ft of torque, while the SRT-8 has 420 lb-ft of torque. Not exactly the same as the E500 to E55 comparison, but point taken. Also, my Commander is heavily modded, so that changes a few things. The part about the H2 being better offroad than any Jeep only brings to question the quality of your smokes. we don't need to start that debate. All I can say is that I have plenty of pictures of ME pulling GMCs and Fords out of situations and have yet to be helped by one of them. You do know that the H2 is simply a Chevy with a hummer body, right? Lastly, let's be clear. The SRT-8 is NOT AWD it has the Quadra-Trac® Active On-Demand 4WD System, while the 5.7L Hemi GC has the Quadra Drive II.

The only point I was making was this. I simply did not see what market this would compete in. If you are a hardcore offroader, you have to go with the 5.7, since it gets the best OEM 4X4 system out. If you are a road racer guy, then why not a whole slew of either Sedans or SUVs that have the 400hp? I understand you like it and that is great. I also think that the $50 price point is a great one for all the SRT-8s. But that is it. I've never been one to own a truck that i do not use as a truck.

Sorry again for hurting your feelings. I love Jeeps. All of the, including the SRT-8 and didn't mean to attack you of all people.
ahww, you didn't hurted my fwelings... I still luvs da Jangster...

That's funny, I only smoke the icky sticky... haha.

Jeep says its AWD... you can call it anything you like. I do know its a bear off the line, and contrary to the commercials, you can't light up the tires one bit with traction control off. But again, I didn't get it for offroad ability... awd for rainy weather when the wife is driving is appealing, that's it. I actually just sold the Hummer... and yes, I'm aware of what its genetic history is about... and got a RoadTrek 190 4x4 RV... I love that thing too! Its no rock crawler, but its a Quigley conversion with independent front suspension, a mild 4" lift, and its a frickin' RV!!!!!
http://www.fmca.com/fmc2006/junmag/coachfeature.asp

I used to be very much into offroading... but grew tired of it. The rancho lift on the hummer... supercharged no less... was cool. I could go places few other 4x4s could. It was fun. Check it out on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43913

I generally hate Hummers... but mine was a lesson in understated beauty and non-pimping. Which is why it sold in just two days via buy it now... a 4 year old H2 for $47k, not bad. With a baby on the way, I needed something more camper like (we go a lot) with 4x4 (mountain cabin in the snow)... and the Roadtrek fit the bill. It is amazing, really.

So, my serious offroad days are gone... mild excursions in an RV on a beach or snow, maybe. Big block fast and nutty days... still here and strong... and the SRT8 is one funny *** attention getter when you launch. Sure, there are tons of sedans... we looked at the 300 and charger / magnum versions... all were very cool too! The Magnum can't be beat for space... the 300 is a nice old W210 and had a telescopic steering wheel (wish the charger & jeep had that). My friend got a black charger to beat the crap out of.

And just when I was thinking used W210 E55 or new 300c srt8... my wifey says "wait... its easier to change diapers in an SUV in the back that a sedan... my back will get sore bending over to pick up the baby out of the car seat day in and out... and the SUV puts the baby chest level for easy exit and entry!". And she was right. An SUV saves backs, is a bit more practical. So, thus the compromise... and the SRT8 satisfied my nutty urge to have fun in any car I drive... and she loves it too. She's driving it right now. Its funny watching her take off in it... she always comes home with a huge smile on her face and says she loves it (she didn't like the Commander's size, and was so so with the ford explorer and trailblazer SS). And she loves the deep inferno red. So, that's the bottom line. She loves it and I think its fun. Everyone finds their reason for doing things.

Loren

Last edited by FlyByNight; 08-24-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:32 PM

14 'E550
No way...blue...cool. I was told only red, black, and silver....I guess that is for '06? I didn't realize the 5speed was AMG...not bad.
Yeah, Steel Blue is a late 06 intro on standard models (just not the SRT).

From wkjeeps.com...07 additions/changes

* Production starts September 1, 2006
* 6.1L Hemi, WA580 AutoStick transmission (same drivetrain as 2006)
* Upgraded interior appearance including soft-touch instrument panel with premium carbon fiber leather instrument panel hood, control knobs with chrome rings, premium shifter bezel, color-keyed cup holder, and Boston Acoustics badges (when properly equipped)
* Active turn signals (“ 3-blink lane change”)
* Audio - Next gen premium Kicker surround audio system w/subwoofer (late availability)
* Fuel tank size increased from 20.5 to 21.1
* ParkView Rear camera system option (packaged with REC nav radio)
* Remote Start (included with SRT Option Package I)
* Side air bags (standard on all models)
* Tip Start (prevents double starts)
* New color: Steel Blue Metallic Clear Coat
* New color: Red Rock Crystal Pearl Coat (Replaces Inferno Red)
Old 08-24-2006, 05:41 PM

An Affalterbach Beast & Others
WOW, I had forgotten about these trucks, they seem to be pretty cool, without a doubt the coolest Jeep ever, you guys enjoy those things!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
And a commander is once again in a different category... the escalade / GL category. And a commander doesn't break any offroad records either. I'll take my lifted H2 over any Jeep offroad any day of the week...
I hate to break it out to ya, but a Jeep Wrangler is more capable off-road than the H2. The H2 is built on the modified Chevy Suburban chassis.

The H1 is a different story.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
HAHAHA!! I love that RV. I was thinking about getting an F350 and making it into an RV of sorts, but got the commander instead. Yes, the rear is perfect for diaper changes as i have found out.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:04 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by newton22
I hate to break it out to ya, but a Jeep Wrangler is more capable off-road than the H2. The H2 is built on the modified Chevy Suburban chassis.

The H1 is a different story.
NOoooo... really? You mean BMWs are better than Mercedes? Come on man... you know this is a matter of opinion like any other debate, so let's just keep that outta here. I have towed my friends wrangler more than once, so let everyone have their opinion.

heavily modified chassis... heavily...

Loren

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6.1L Hemi SRT8 Jeep