Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e63 paddles, horrible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 SL63 AMG, sliver
The paddles on my E63 appear to be made out of aluminum. They are not flimsy or flexible in the least.

I also have never accidently shifted by hitting the paddles, unlike the buttons on the steeting wheel on my friends C55 where I was accidently shifting all the time.

PT
Old 09-04-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Originally Posted by AMG_55
i went up to it just to check out the paddles.
what the **** was mb thinking. i pressed the top part of the paddle and the whole thing flexed so much it was insane. i could see them braking during spirited driving. it flexed (a lot) and only then did it actually make the click(press the button or activate, whatever you wanna call it)
all this quality is going back up talk is bull****
its even more flimsy than my buttons
Its seldom that I take issue with posts - I love the free flow of information, but I do feel that I need to straighten out this post

1. The paddles are aluminum - they are postioned well (more on that later) are very responsive and DO take strong handling with ease - I have driven 11 paddle shifting AMG's in the last 3 months - all of it was very spirited (racing) and most of that time was on race courses including Lime Rock where the terrible track surface makes it impossible to be smooth on just about anything, gear shifts included. Note that I have buttons on my 06 CLS 55 and I feel that the paddles are a definite improvment - this is just my opnion. I am not into cosmetic enhancements - but I do like functional enhancements and I definitely like the new paddles.

2. Location of paddles - I have driven paddle shifting Ferrari's on the road (never on a race course) and yes the location is fantastic - you always know where the paddles are and yup, they are good. However I feel that the paddles connected to the wheel (ala AMG and others) do an even better job of putting the paddles at your fingertips. In almost all driving situations your hands will seldom leave the 9 & 3 postions and the paddles will always be there - In all the racing laps, autocross events, and drifting excercises, I never up****ed or down****ed by mistake by brushing a paddle.

And I can tell you that the one thing I hate about the Porshce Tiptronic shifters is the shift buttons mounted on the front of the steering wheel - you will definitely do the odd upshift/downshift by accident any time you race on a tight autocross track where your hands are moving fast and crossing up (this is also especially true in drifiting excercises and its a real bummer as you will knock the buttons, and suddenly drop your engine out of the power band and instantly hook up, killing the drift - really annoying). Once again my opinion only.

Once again I appreciate the free flow of opnions and observations, but I concur with the poster above who requests that you try it before you knock it

Last edited by siswati; 09-04-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
if those paddles are aluminum then my clk is 24k gold
Old 09-04-2006, 09:23 PM

2009 SL63 AMG, sliver
Originally Posted by AMG_55
if those paddles are aluminum then my clk is 24k gold
Please post pics of your gold CLK.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:01 AM