Sponsored by:

*** Brake Failure ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
hahaha.. It's all muscle buddy!! All muscle!

Will scan invoice when I get home tonight.. Got the call that the pump is in, and they installed my PTE 160 thermostat at the same time.. A peace offering I guess..

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Fatass. :p

Glad to know that you're safe!

Can you post your invoice when you get it back? I want to run it by my dealer to see if they can check the corresponding parts replaced for any unusual wear. I do a lot of traffic driving and I don't want this to happen to me. :o
Yup.. If there were cars around, I would have acted even further in trying to stop the car and would have used the parking brake.. Since it was an open road with no cars in front, I tried to stop it with the brakes and engine to see how well it worked.. I wasn't in a panic state or anything.. I was under control the whole time..

Originally Posted by GTR Power
Next time (if there is such an event) use the parking brake to assist- and if there is any unusual wear on that system due to that use get it warranteed under the SBC failure (next best option during emergency).
Old 09-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks! So it has happened to you too??

Damn.. I wonder how many people on this board have experienced it?

You & I both have 03 cars.. Wonder what the others are driving??

Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Glad to hear you are alright buddy...It's happened to me on certain occasions and it's funny how they say...oh I'm sorry, we sure do hope it won't happen again...not funny when your on the freeway driving and the car starts yelling at you saying the brakes are out...
Old 09-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I vaguely remember Mrs Wolf having this issue as well?
Old 09-07-2006, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by stevebez

This SBC issue being left "alone" by MB to "go away" is simply ludicrous. They obviously done the math of recall all SBC vs payouts due to accidents from this (god forbid!)
BINGO!!! you better believe they've done the math.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 SL55
Breaks?

My SL 500 had 260 miles and a brake failure in December 2002. Now it's 2006 and other owners are still experiencing similar failures. So far my 2005 SL 55 hasn't had the problem but I suspect it will just be a matter of time. A $120,000 automobile with 500 horsepower that was designed manufactured and sold to the uninformed public for four consecutive years that is demonstrably prone to completely unpredictable near total brake failure should be a cause for action, ...class of course. Sign me up. Anyone willing to take this on feel free to contact me at ja1031@aol.com
Old 09-08-2006, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
This problem is widespread ...

Guys this problem has happened all over the world - a few times in South Africa I can confirm. Some guys were given new cars ... and they kept quiet. Some would not take another car - not sure how it was resolved.

The only defense MB can have here is if they have since remedied the problem satisfactorily.

This clearly is not the case if we are still seeing failures. The recalls they have done have been insufficient. The back up system is non existent, as has been demonstrated by many forum members here. Furthermore they explicitly say there is a back up ... really where T F is it please?

W T F are they thinking? Its just going to go away on its own?

Furthermore if there are any late model units failing then, in my opinion, it is gross negligence and they are opening themselves up for a massive liability action ... This is one reason I am keeping my car 100% stock I dont want to give them any excuse if this thing goes pop.

This is a F time bomb guys.....
Old 09-08-2006, 04:18 AM

I drive a E55T, SLK55 and 65 Mustang Conv.
Originally Posted by jangy
I vaguely remember Mrs Wolf having this issue as well?
NO, this has never happened to us, but it scares the hell outta of Kim. Wolf x-posting as Lady Wolf
Old 09-08-2006, 06:42 AM

05 E55, R33 GTR, R33 GTS-t
my thoughts... firstly again good to see you had the sitch undercontrol and no accident resulted.

secondly, im not gonna start assuming its all a big MB stuff-up regarding the "backup" system at least until rflow disconnects his SBC and tries for himself! perhaps vrus's lack of backup breaking was a one off??

and thirdly yes id like to hear more about what exactly was uprated/upgraded in the later models.. mine is a late 05 so im hoping im at less risk. although someone mentioned some 06 SL owners possibly having some probs.

Its crazy, the more fancy schmancy and techno our cars become, the more we become helpless in situations!! gone are the days of simple systems like carbies and cables operating everything, enter the age of cars that are actually driving US more than we actually drive them!!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

rflow did his test and he said there was zero backup system pedal goes to the floor and there is nothing... even if you pump it. The handbrake helped somewhat - and was way more effective than the brakes ....

It may not be widespread but the potential catastrophe that could result if one car at wrong place at wrong time is just insane and boggles all sense of rationality.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BTW the Maybach has 2 SBC systems with an 8 circuit setup - in case one SBC system fails ... if there was a proper back up why would the Maybach require 2 SBC systems ?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I really cant understand this whole situation either. The dealers are very calm and dont seem to get too excited over the incident. Its almost like they know its happened before and it's no big deal. NO BIG DEAL?????

When I told my service advisor about it and he just made a normal response like "sure. just bring it down. we'll check it out".. It's like he could of been talking about me complaining about my windows not working or something.. I had to stop and say, "You realize I could have been killed..".. The response was something like... "Nah.. At least you have backup brakes to stop the car".

I almost felt like saying, "I'll tell you what.. Strap yourself into my car.. Get onto the highway and bring her up to 120km/h and then stomp on the gas to trigger the ESP and make the brakes fail... Try stopping the car and then come back and talk to me."... After the small heart-attack he would of had in the driver's seat, I am sure some things would change....

Actually, maybe I should get Dr. Z to come down here, get in my car and do the same experiment with him driving... You think that would wake up MB???
Old 09-08-2006, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by vrus
I really cant understand this whole situation either. The dealers are very calm and dont seem to get too excited over the incident. Its almost like they know its happened before and it's no big deal. NO BIG DEAL?????

When I told my service advisor about it and he just made a normal response like "sure. just bring it down. we'll check it out".. It's like he could of been talking about me complaining about my windows not working or something.. I had to stop and say, "You realize I could have been killed..".. The response was something like... "Nah.. At least you have backup brakes to stop the car".

I almost felt like saying, "I'll tell you what.. Strap yourself into my car.. Get onto the highway and bring her up to 120km/h and then stomp on the gas to trigger the ESP and make the brakes fail... Try stopping the car and then come back and talk to me."... After the small heart-attack he would of had in the driver's seat, I am sure some things would change....

Actually, maybe I should get Dr. Z to come down here, get in my car and do the same experiment with him driving... You think that would wake up MB???
Victor, don't mean to laugh but I cracked up at your SA's comment: "sure, just bring it down". I guess nothing surprises them anymore.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Yup.. That's exactly what I was thinking too..

Originally Posted by cte430
Victor, don't mean to laugh but I cracked up at your SA's comment: "sure, just bring it down". I guess nothing surprises them anymore.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Victor,
Glad you are ok buddy! That sounds really scary! It is always something with these cars huh? Damn Germans! J/K I can say that because I am German. I think my year is different and they did an upgrade from what the dealer told me. Anyone know?
Old 09-08-2006, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
How about "hand brake" Or emergency brake? If you press it slowly i guess it would work a bit.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks Angela.

My car is actually still down at the dealer.. Stranded for the weekend..

Get this.. The replacement pump they ordered for me.. They installed it and were trying to bleed the system, and then discovered..... wait for it..... that the replacement pump is DEFFECTIVE TOO!!!

Gee.. That really makes me feel warm and fuzzy.. My brand new replacement pump was deffective... GREAT!

I got them to at least take back the 300C boat.. Now I have a real slick, C230 to run around in.. YIPPIE..... ARRGHHHH...

Originally Posted by BENZGal
Victor,
Glad you are ok buddy! That sounds really scary! It is always something with these cars huh? Damn Germans! J/K I can say that because I am German. I think my year is different and they did an upgrade from what the dealer told me. Anyone know?
Do you really think its a good idea to slam the emergency brake with your FOOT while you are driving on the highway? Push too hard and it locks the tires.. Push too little and it does nothing.. See the problem..

If you are going perfectly straight.. that might be fine, but if you press too hard you will lock up your tires and have no steering control.. I would only use it in an extreme situation.

Originally Posted by BoBcanada
How about "hand brake" Or emergency brake? If you press it slowly i guess it would work a bit.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 SL55
Been There

My brake problem of 2002 was just like yours. Six weeks in the shop before it was repaired. Ed Hicks Mercedes of Corpus Christi Texas did the work, Bruce was the Tech and you can reach these guys at 361 854 1955. If you read the reference to my old post below I think you will see some similarities regarding "defective pumps" I have never heard about a recall for the failure of the brake system but I think the situation should be addressed. Last night I was thinking that if enough people get wind of this obviously defect prone system the resale value of my 2005 SL55 (same system) may be close to scrap value. Ever read "Unsafe at any Speed" by Ralph Nader? That book killed the Chevrolet Corvair forever. How about "493 Horsepower and No Brakes"?
Old 09-09-2006, 01:29 AM

Don't have a Mercedes right now...
There supposed to be a recall on this issue:

http://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/safety-recall-7.shtml

Thay also claim that the driver should have enougn back up to stop the car which seems to be false from what we hear.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_n15677193

How much better can these brakes be over the traditional ones? I had the chance to drive a couple of C32's and the breaks felt really odd, I guess they were SBC. I am very happy with the brakes of my C43.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
I wonder if sooner or later they will issue a recall to replace SBC with a normal system? What would be involved to convert to conventional brakes?
Old 09-09-2006, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Finny
Mmmm.... I had the same kind of feeling lately... Do you think mine should be checked at as well?

1ds-mkii

Anyway, if you plow into the rear of someone's car who would be at fault? MB or driver?
Old 09-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I wish I had the answers... Once I get my car back I'll do some checking and I'll ask some questions around the dealership and see what the story is.

ja1031: Thanks for the info. If they dont get my car done by Monday I'll make contact with the people you mentioned.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by kchristos
There supposed to be a recall on this issue:

http://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/safety-recall-7.shtml

Thay also claim that the driver should have enougn back up to stop the car which seems to be false from what we hear.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_n15677193

How much better can these brakes be over the traditional ones? I had the chance to drive a couple of C32's and the breaks felt really odd, I guess they were SBC. I am very happy with the brakes of my C43.
The C32's and other W203 do not have SBC Only W211 and higher models.
The stock C32 brakes are a piece of *****. Terrible brake fade. And they're still using those brakes on the C55. That is why I sold them and bought Alcons.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I just got my car back yesterday afternoon and the brakes feel pretty good. I am still a little uneasy driving it quickly, so we'll see if that goes away after a while.

I didnt get the paperwork from them while I was there so once I receive it I will scan and post so you can see what they changed.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by vrus
I didnt get the paperwork from them while I was there so once I receive it I will scan and post so you can see what they changed.
Please! I would be very interested in seeing the scans. Thx.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:14 PM

2003 E55 K1
Sounds like you experienced an electrical failure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *** Brake Failure ***