*** New Intake Manifolds ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
*** New Intake Manifolds ***

Another little project that I am working on...

I ordered a new set of AMG intake manifolds for our cars. I am sending them down to get Extrude Honed in Grand Rapids, MI.

When they get back from the Extrude Hone process, I will be sending them to my new friends at the ceramic coating company to get the 2,000F polished ceramic coating put on them (just like the exhaust system I built).

The extra airflow through the manifolds due to the extrude hone process coupled with the heat coating inside & out should help to improve airflow. Combining that with the Evosport phenolic spacers, I am hoping to see a good improvement in efficiency and flow.

The manifolds are on their way from Germany.. If this works well, I will use my current manifolds as cores and prepare a set for anyone else that wants in.. Then take your cores and go on to the next person and so on...

This should be an interesting project...
Old 09-06-2006, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
You are a maniac and a soldier sir.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks?? I think???

I know there is a compliment in there somewhere so thank you.

Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
You are a maniac and a soldier sir.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
It was definitely a compliment, you seem to be the one guy on this board who's doing more R&D on the E55 than Renntech and Kleemann combined and you're determined to make as much power as possible out of the car. Not to mention you're going ***** out with a motor that, if broken would be the price of a civic to replace.

I hope you reach that 700 mark soon.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
YESSSSS, finally benz guys modding their cars like they should! Great work and conitnue to push the limits!
Old 09-06-2006, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Victor i think even if you get 750hp you will never stop, then you would put a jet engines on the sides, next project would be fly your e55 around the world ETC
Old 09-06-2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by vrus
I ordered a new set of AMG intake manifolds for our cars. I am sending them down to get Extrude Honed in Grand Rapids, MI.
I've not seen the inside of the intake manifolds. Can I infer from your post that they have individual runners for each cylinder and are not just open plenums?

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2006, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i'm not familiar with the intake paths but wouldn't ceramic coating the inside of the intake manifold inhibit the proper mixing of fuel and air? ceramic coating will tend to smooth the surface which may not be a good thing.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:29 PM

Vrus?

is the intake the same as the SLR one? Or does the intercoolers make it different?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by chiromikey
i'm not familiar with the intake paths but wouldn't ceramic coating the inside of the intake manifold inhibit the proper mixing of fuel and air? ceramic coating will tend to smooth the surface which may not be a good thing.
What you're referring to is true for a wet system (e.g., carburator or TBI). For a dry system that only flows air, smoother is better.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks!

I have faith in the AMG crew for building a good engine.. I just try to choose my mods carefully to make sure I dont screw up what they created.

Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
It was definitely a compliment, you seem to be the one guy on this board who's doing more R&D on the E55 than Renntech and Kleemann combined and you're determined to make as much power as possible out of the car. Not to mention you're going ***** out with a motor that, if broken would be the price of a civic to replace.

I hope you reach that 700 mark soon.
Thanks! I wont stop until I hit 700hp.

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
YESSSSS, finally benz guys modding their cars like they should! Great work and conitnue to push the limits!
Hahaha.. I think once I reach 700hp I will be happy.. For how long I will be happy I am not sure..

Originally Posted by BoBcanada
Victor i think even if you get 750hp you will never stop, then you would put a jet engines on the sides, next project would be fly your e55 around the world ETC
No.. The inside of the intake manifolds do not have separate runners. It's just an open plenum. I know that the main benefit of the extrude hone would be for individual runners to smooth out the air flow BUT, I know it can't hurt, and having the walls being rough just causes turbulence so I am going to try it anyways.

The extrude hone will probably yield little to no increase in power, but, I dont want to leave any stones unturned so to speak.

Originally Posted by Grumpy666
I've not seen the inside of the intake manifolds. Can I infer from your post that they have individual runners for each cylinder and are not just open plenums?
The manifolds deliver the air post-compressor to the heads. It is a dry plenum. No fuel is mixed until it reaches the combustion chambers in the heads.

Ceramic coating the manifolds will ensure that the radiant heat from the engine block and compartment dont affect the air stream to the heads.

Originally Posted by chiromikey
Nope. Completely different. The SLR intake manifolds are built into the intercoolers which seem to have the coating already on them. I believe that black colour they have is actually a heat coating rather than an anodized paint.

Originally Posted by Mad TKD
Vrus?

is the intake the same as the SLR one? Or does the intercoolers make it different?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Kind of off topic, but did you port and polish the supercharger or intake manifolds yet? I'm a little confused about which part you're going to have extrude honed. Why not just port and polish it, then ceramic coat it. Is it the surge tanks, the two magnesium pieces on either side of the supercharger that have the ///AMG lettering?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:11 AM
MNG

Audi's, a whole bunch of them
i believe the parts that we are talking about getting honed are the parts that say AMG on each side of the S/C
Old 09-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Correct!

The insides of the manifolds have rough cast finish. I dont think the Extrude Hone will make a big difference if any, but, I know it can't hurt. I want the airflow as smooth as possible..

The ceramic coating will be a killer finish... Cant wait until they are done.

Originally Posted by MNG
i believe the parts that we are talking about getting honed are the parts that say AMG on each side of the S/C
Old 09-07-2006, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I would think getting the heads gas flowed would yield much better gains ...

I would not bother getting the internals of the intake manifold smoothed out -I would just ceramic-coat them as they are.... any thots ?

EDIT: on second thots would not having the ceram coating keep the heat trapped in the chamber rather than radiating out of the manifold ... not sure whats heating what the manifold heating the ambient air or the ambient air heating the manifold... ????

Last edited by stevebez; 09-07-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Heads are being worked on Steve..

For the amount of money it costs to do the extrude hone, for me, it's piece of mind knowing its done and I dont have to worry if that part of the engine can be improved. They quoted me $250 so I am willing to experiment for that.. If the quote ends up being higher, I may skip it..

Originally Posted by stevebez
I would think getting the heads gas flowed would yield much better gains ...

I would not bother getting the internals of the intake manifold smoothed out -I would just ceramic-coat them as they are.... any thots ?

EDIT: on second thots would not having the ceram coating keep the heat trapped in the chamber rather than radiating out of the manifold ... not sure whats heating what the manifold heating the ambient air or the ambient air heating the manifold... ????
Old 09-07-2006, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by vrus
Heads are being worked on Steve..
U R DA MAN !!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
You are the man, yes, but you also have too much free time. lolz
Old 09-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks!

Originally Posted by stevebez
U R DA MAN !!!!
hehehe.. Actually I have NO free time.. LOL.. I run a fulltime business which operates 24x7 believe it or not (I am on call for all my clients) and I do the car stuff on the side.

Originally Posted by 2MANYCARS
You are the man, yes, but you also have too much free time. lolz
Old 10-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Intake manifolds are still down at ExtrudeHone.. they were having difficulty getting the manifolds to stay put in their jig.. they kept lifting when they tried to push the media through it so they are modifying the jig right now.. Hopefully this wont take too much longer.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:18 PM
PDC

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SL65 ///AMG - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 2005 E55; 2002 ML55; 2001 CLK55; 1992 BMW 850i; 1991 M5
ExtrudeHone

Hey guys, I Extrude-Honed the intake manifolds on my 92 BMW 850 (V-12). Bimmer tuner DINAN offered extrude-honed intakes for about $2500 a set and Extrude-Hone in PA did mine for about a grand. The insides of the runners felt as smooth as glass when finished. DINAN claims about a 20hp gain on their test car for this service, mostly above 4k RPMS. I will say, my 8 felt like it had a bit more life between 3500-5500 after the process. I know, it's an apples to oranges comparison, but I have tried it with favorable results on a naturally aspirated motor.