Test drives E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
Your problem is that you're going to Mercedes-Benz of Beverly Hills. I don't know if you've had good experiences there or not but all I get from them are rediculous rouge charges, a smug attitude and the cold shoulder whenever I try to ask a question that is at all technical in nature.

That being said, it was at MBBH that I test drove the 63 today and when the saleswoman said "You drive so conservatively, usually I drive these cars as fast as I can," I took that as an invitation to really see what the 63 could do. Given, I doubt she would let me drag with someone but I was doing some serious 0-80mph pulls in that thing and she was all smiles. Knowing those MBBH jackasses I'm surprised she wasn't kind enough to report me to the Police after I left.

P.S. Is that a Koenigsegg in your avatar?
LOL, in my dreams....How did you like the 63?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really thought it was great. After hearing what the other members had to say I was expecting it to feel like a 55 with the supercharger shut off. I thought it felt very strong and pulled very consistantly. Nice and responsive and very smooth. No delays at all. Nice brakes too.

Edit: The shift paddles are also VERY sturdy. Completely 100% aluminum and give a nice solid clack when a shift is made. Not flimsy at all whatsoever as some other members have posted. I tried to bend them and I couldn't.

Last edited by zdkdeeier493; 09-10-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ditto on the paddles. They felt just as sturdy as my old M3 and M5. No cheap at all.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
paddles

yeah I picked up a GL450 today (going tomorrow to take it home) and I sat in a CLK63. The paddles were not flimsly at all.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:30 PM
MBH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55 Delivered 01/07/05
Originally Posted by dragonAMG
+1 Same here. Everyone at my company buys their MB's from one specific salesman. I have personally purchased 3 cars from him. If I want to take the E63 out for a spin, he'll have no problem throwing me the keys. Just because you don't command that type of respect at your MB dealer, don't assume nobody else does.
Respect has nothing to do with it. All dealers in the USA have an insurance policy. Most of these policies state that in no way can someone pull a car off the lot and let anyone drive it withOUT a salesman or any employee from the dealer who is covered under the policy. I would love to meet with underwriter of your dealer and see whats in their policy. Most be some heck of a policy or the insurance company has no idea what the dealer is doing until someone has an accident.

My dealer Ray Catena is the second largest Mercedes dealership in the USA. There is only one dealer in CA that sells more cars than them and no way can you walk into this dealership and take a car home for the heck of it. No way can you walk in and test drive any car without someone from the dealer in the car with you at all times.

Last edited by MBH; 09-11-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:39 PM
MBH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55 Delivered 01/07/05
Originally Posted by enzom
Actually, a Porsche salesman from Bergen County let me take 2 911's out for test drives by myself in 1996. I was 25 years old. He let me take them home and out on the highway for an hour each. I did not buy a 911 then, but if I decide that I am going to pull the trigger, I am going to find this former salesperson (he later became the g.m. for another Porsche dealer) and buy it from him if his price is close to the best deal I can get elsewhere.
Maybe 10 years ago, but try it now. Insurance policies have changed over the past 10+ years. I purchased 2 new cars from Ray Catena in Edison, one was a E55 the other a 997S. I had to test drive both cars with a salesman in the car at all times. This was in 2005 not long ago. I have no problems testing a car with a salesman as long as I can test it and feel how it drives.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Every dealership I've ever been to has allowed me and my father to drive around there cars with no salesman in it. We took a Bentley Continental GT out for an hour without a salesman in it. My dad even pulled over and let me drive it (I was 16 at the time). We've gone to a dealership in Manhattan (Manhattan Motorsports or something) and they offered to give us the keys to a Lambo Gallardo but my dad didn't feel like driving it around the city. Its not a big deal for a salesman to give you the keys, as long as they know your a serious potential buyer.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Almost a Member!

'07 e63
when thinking about test drives....

I think of this video clip. Unbelievable!

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/wmv/testdrive.wmv

Last edited by pilot e63; 09-11-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by jangy
It is Hoehn in Carlsbad. I took a new S550 home for the weekend, an ML500 (when just out), plenty of used SL65 and 55s, etc. I also took both my '05 and '06 E55s before I bought them.

Keep in mind that I average a new MB every year, so they know me pretty well by now. I also bring them plenty of sales, especially AMGs so they do take care of me. I'm sure i am not the only one they treat that way, but they very much push the "family" deal. My wife is simply not a car shopper, so the only way to have her check em out is to let me take one home.
Same here. Wife was interested in ML500 but isn't into car shopping. Went to the dealer got the keys and drove it home where she used it for a few hours. When buying the E55 test drove alone. Was in there one day just hanging out and my salesguy asked if I wanted to go drive an SL65. He knew I wasn't interested in buying anything but he gave me the keys.

They wouldn't throw me the SLR though!!

didn't know the p dealership so the salesguy went with me. They did take a car right off the floor for me to drive. I drove for 45 minutes and then the salesguy drove for another 45. He absolutely beat the **** out of the car LOL!! Best sales job I've ever seen. He didn't have to say a word - just drove it the way it was build to be driven!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:45 PM

2009 SL63 AMG, sliver
Originally Posted by pilot e63
I think of this video clip. Unbelievable!

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/wmv/testdrive.wmv
Salesman got what he deserved by letting a guy with no drivers license and a buddy with a camera test drive a car...

PT
Old 09-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by MBH
Respect has nothing to do with it. All dealers in the USA have an insurance policy. Most of these policies state that in no way can someone pull a car off the lot and let anyone drive it withOUT a salesman or any employee from the dealer who is covered under the policy. I would love to meet with underwriter of your dealer and see whats in their policy. Most be some heck of a policy or the insurance company has no idea what the dealer is doing until someone has an accident.

My dealer Ray Catena is the second largest Mercedes dealership in the USA. There is only one dealer in CA that sells more cars than them and no way can you walk into this dealership and take a car home for the heck of it. No way can you walk in and test drive any car without someone from the dealer in the car with you at all times.
J-E-L-L-O?