Sponsored by:

Dead battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
Dead battery

I just got the 2005 E55 on Saturday and today the battery is completely dead, or seems so. Nothing works and when key is inserted nothing lights(Keyless Go) and key will not turn. I've tried both keys.

It looks like I need another key that I don't have to open the trunk. Is my only option now to have it towed to the dealer?
Old 09-11-2006, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
You've got free roadside assistance and you are under warranty. Call them up and they will be in your driveway in no time with a free battery. If that doesn't work you will get free towing to the dealer.

The key fob has a metal key that will open the trunk. Look up at the trunk release for the lock.

Congrats on the car!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:17 AM

CL65
I found the key buried in the keyless key and have the trunk open. Since there are 2 batteries, shouldn't something light up when the key is inserted. Why would both batteries be dead.

I did something different when I left the car last night. I left a CD in the single disk changer and the radio was still playing when I left the car. I though this might be normal and that it would shut itself off once I got out of range with the key , but I decided to turn the radio power off anyway just in case.

Should I just jump the car anyway even without the front battery working or am I likely to have other issues?
Old 09-11-2006, 09:27 AM

CL65
Thanks for the tip. Never occurred to me to call RA. I called and they said a technician would return my call in about 15 minutes.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
You should be all set by now. I don't think the two batteries are interconnected and I'm not sure which one does what. With all the electronics on the cars, you either have enough juice to start the car or not and with no warning when it's not going to happen.

The dealer probably charged the battery on the lot to get to you and it just couldn't hold the charge for more than a day. Things will get better.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:50 PM

CL65
They brought me out another battery and installed it this morning. They also did all the resetting for the windows, Panoroof etc. This is a nice service, I wish I could extend it.
I've got over 2-1/2 years left so I'm set for a while.

I don't think the old battery was bad, I think it was something I did. I was in my garage in the car last night trying to learn how to set up some of the systems and I had started with Keyless Go. I think I had the door open when I turned off the car with the shifter, and when I left the car the radio stayed on. I now know that this is not supposed to happen. At the time I was thinking that it would shut itself off once I got out of range. Also I found out that the key I was using either has a low battery or is not working right as it would not activate the door locks. I had to get the other key this morning because the keyless go would not work after the new battery was in. I kept getting the message about the key not being authorized until I switched to the other key.

After reading about other people having trouble with the keyless go, I think there are probably certain sequences of things you should not do when using KG. I must have performed one of those last night. From now on I will use the KG to start and stop the car only when I am inside with the doors closed. If I'm going to play with the radio of computer without going anywhere I'm going to put the key in the ignition.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
So where is this 2nd "accessory" battery anyway ??
Old 09-11-2006, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by vader
So where is this 2nd "accessory" battery anyway ??
Vader it's located underneath the ac square filter box on the passenger side firewall. It's barely visible through the cracks.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
Ahhh...the box with the label on it that says "Battery In Trunk"...makes perfect sense ! Thanks Rflow !
Old 09-11-2006, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by vader
Ahhh...the box with the label on it that says "Battery In Trunk"...makes perfect sense ! Thanks Rflow !
German engineering at its finest.