Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power delivery feels like a 4 cylinder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power delivery feels like a 4 cylinder

I just got a 2003 E55 today and have not had time to really read every thread yet but I am having a big problem. Sometimes the car goes and sometimes the car feels like it is running on 4 cylinders or something. I will have it in sport or manual at 2nd gear and 4 thousand rpms with ESP off; when I mash the pedal it makes engine sound but just doesn't go anywhere. But then 2 minutes later when I try it again it is all power. It almost feels as if timing is being completely retarded. Now the only thing is, the dealership filled it up from a 1/4 tank for me and maybe he put in 87 octane and the ECU is cranking down the timing. Maybe paranoid but sometimes when I goto jump on it I hear what sounds like a ping/knock but then it goes away as it climbs.

Anyone have any ideas if this is just a common low grade gas problem or something I am missing all together. I am so excited minus this little tid bit. I mean, my brothers RS6 is pulling me and I can't have it.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
your ecu is most likely shutting down the s/c because of high intake air temps which could be a few different things. your car needs to see the dealer.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mikey's right. Get that thing in asap. Mine did it too (and still does sometimes) and its the most obnoxious thing ever. Its also quite unsafe because as you get used to the way the car drives, if you try to make a quick lane change or pass somebody or something, the results could be disasterous if you are at 20% power.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the info you two. This is very disappointing to say the least, especially if the problem still slightly exists after you had it fixed. It still has some warranty so I will just be out of my new car for a few days I guess. When the power is there it feels great, I am coming from a 530rwhp Z06 so the luxury is such a nice change but don't hiccups like this again.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Still want to flame me about the '03s?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:08 AM

So now I am getting the feeling that this is common? Has anyone with the high intake temperatures actually get a permenant fix?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
Originally Posted by David Joor
I just got a 2003 E55 today and have not had time to really read every thread yet but I am having a big problem. Sometimes the car goes and sometimes the car feels like it is running on 4 cylinders or something. I will have it in sport or manual at 2nd gear and 4 thousand rpms with ESP off; when I mash the pedal it makes engine sound but just doesn't go anywhere. But then 2 minutes later when I try it again it is all power. It almost feels as if timing is being completely retarded. Now the only thing is, the dealership filled it up from a 1/4 tank for me and maybe he put in 87 octane and the ECU is cranking down the timing. Maybe paranoid but sometimes when I goto jump on it I hear what sounds like a ping/knock but then it goes away as it climbs.

Anyone have any ideas if this is just a common low grade gas problem or something I am missing all together. I am so excited minus this little tid bit. I mean, my brothers RS6 is pulling me and I can't have it.
Intercooler pump is bad!! Happened to me in my 03 CL55. Tell your service adviser what is happening and let him know you think your intercooler pump went bad. Once it is replaced your car will rock again. This is a very very common problem with the 55's across the board. Mercedes AMG builds a great car and puts in a lousy cooling system. Go figure?

Trending Topics

Old 09-13-2006, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by jangy
Still want to flame me about the '03s?
Sure,whats your take on the 03's? A friend of mine has one and im betting it runs better than my 05.In fact at the track it already did.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'01 E55
It could be a lot of things considering the amount components involved in engine power managment and throttle actuation.

Without a DTC read-out or road-test my first guess would be throttle actuator since you said it appears to be completely random and intermittant. But then you mentioned a noise from the engine so it's possible it could be mechanical. Definitely have looked at ASAP. Keep us informed.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So now I am getting the feeling that this is common? Has anyone with the high intake temperatures actually get a permenant fix?
i think france pretty much nailed it as the ic pump is the most common culprit. have it replaced under warranty (probably in and out the same day if you have a good dealer) and you shouldn't have any more problems.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:27 AM

I live in Houston and assume the huge dealership here is really nice, at least it looks it. I was driving it very spirited and it would make sense that it would be temperature related because when I drive normally and don't try to go light to light it is always on tap. However I got this car to drive it like it was designed

I will keep an update on what I find out and the results.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Too bad your so far away or i could check the DTC's for you.Im thinking SC shut off for what ever reason it is.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Sure,whats your take on the 03's? A friend of mine has one and im betting it runs better than my 05.In fact at the track it already did.

I've always agreed that the '03s are faster (engine wise). If you have an '05 and he uses you at the strip, that is one thing. If it is a road course track, then you suck as the '05 and up ahave newer suspension (mostly steering rack). LOL. Just messing.

The '03s are just plagued with issues. When running, they are great....but.
Theres the cooling, ECU takes, and the dreaded SC clutch to worry about amongst a slew of other DTBs.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212

It is quite common, indeed. BUT, also well known by the techs and can be worked out completely (almost). the only lingering issues are with some current mods. If you stay stock, it can all be worked out. Hope you still have warranty left. If so, let them do their thing. Find a responsive dealer.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:55 AM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
I will have it in sport or manual at 2nd gear and 4 thousand rpms with ESP off; when I mash the pedal it makes engine sound but just doesn't go anywhere. But then 2 minutes later when I try it again it is all power.
It's probably the heat soak/intercooler pump thing as the others have mentioned.

But another item that's possible that I had issues with is, believe it or not, my CL55 with a weak battery. I'm going to guess that like my CL55, you still have the original battery(ies) from 2003. Systems are similar to yours, plus the following indicators -

1. You may have a sporadic ESP warning.
2. If you blip the throttle in neutral, it may zing up to 4000 RPM and then hold there.
3. The supercharger may actually stay engaged even though you are not on the throttle (sidebar - this got me thinking that we could figure out a way to keep the SC engaged all the time).
4. You will not have a check engine light on.

I was out in the middle of nowhere when this happened to me, and I guess I am "lucky" that I've owned enough Motronic cars to guess and get this right the first time. The four indicators I mention kinda' go along with Glassjaw's comment on power management/electronic throttle control (ETC). For whatever reason, what the ECU thinks is the juice getting through the ETC isn't what is happening.

So, if they start giving you the run-around and can't get it fixed see if they will change out the battery(ies) for you.

Last edited by mclarenm8d; 09-13-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by jangy
I've always agreed that the '03s are faster (engine wise). If you have an '05 and he uses you at the strip, that is one thing. If it is a road course track, then you suck as the '05 and up ahave newer suspension (mostly steering rack). LOL. Just messing.

The '03s are just plagued with issues. When running, they are great....but.
Theres the cooling, ECU takes, and the dreaded SC clutch to worry about amongst a slew of other DTBs.
Quit kicking me with those Flinstone toes,Im fragile!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
two words, lol! Intercooler- Pump!, My car died on Wide open throtle, while racing a damn porsche in the Highway, man that was frustrating...It felt like I had a corolla, this happens when the supercharger coolant is too high, the computer shuts off the supercharger so it does not get dburned out, when the temperature stabilizes itself it turns it right back on. I took my car to the dealer and they put a brand new one under factory, my car kicks ***, and does not die, I could leave it WOT for a minute or two, no defects.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:58 AM

2003 E55 K1
I have a 2003 and experienced similar problems after ECU reflash. Intermittent nature of your problem suggests problem is ECU. I would bet not intake temp. Have it checked out. I ended up getting new ECU, belts and pulley.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:22 AM

I took it to the dealer this morning and was very pleased with the service. I told my rep what was happening and the first words were, is it a 55. I asked if he had experience with this issue and he confirmed he has had a few come in and it will all be covered under warranty. I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow so I can get a loaner car.

This morning the car is fine, as long as I am not going light to light, but what fun is that? I will keep you all informed and thanks so much for the insight.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:02 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by france2112
Intercooler pump is bad!! Happened to me in my 03 CL55. Tell your service adviser what is happening and let him know you think your intercooler pump went bad. Once it is replaced your car will rock again. This is a very very common problem with the 55's across the board. Mercedes AMG builds a great car and puts in a lousy cooling system. Go figure?
Great looking SL600 but lose the Autohaus license frame...

Where are you in S Fl? I'm in east Boca.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:35 PM

Great news, got the car back and it was the intercooler pump. Got to race the RS6 again tonight about 6 times. I got him every run. He had one run where I spun and his power-brake was perfect and he got almost 2 cars on me, by the middle of 3rd I was going by him like he was standing still. The other runs he would get his rear wheel by my door but by the time I shifted 2nd I was in front of him. I am still learning how to launch this torque monster but was getting very consistant by the last 4 runs and the results were always the same, RS6 in the mirror.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Great news, got the car back and it was the intercooler pump. Got to race the RS6 again tonight about 6 times. I got him every run. He had one run where I spun and his power-brake was perfect and he got almost 2 cars on me, by the middle of 3rd I was going by him like he was standing still. The other runs he would get his rear wheel by my door but by the time I shifted 2nd I was in front of him. I am still learning how to launch this torque monster but was getting very consistant by the last 4 runs and the results were always the same, RS6 in the mirror.
for those of us that have had the ic pump go bad the diagnosis was a no-brainer. unfortunately it does happen often. glad to see you can now consistently beat up on the competition.