E63 vs E55 Post Drag Race Perspective

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
hell, i posted info on how i got my e55 fixed after the reflash issue and hardly anyone even commented or cared.

I cant recall this one.Can you point me to the thread,Im interested in reading your dealings on it.Nevermind I found it.Was your car a special case or?

Can you find out what night is the least crowded out there for us to do some racing?

Last edited by Jrocket; 09-17-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:32 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by pterion
I am confused still. Is it your contension that all engines where 5.5l or 6.3l, N?A or supercharged, gas, desiel or powered by a hampster on a wheel, are identical?
Why is it that because the 55K dyno'ed well with 700 miles on it that this PROVES that a totally different 6.3L NA engine with a totally different trany does not need to be broken in. Does it not seem possible that a totally different engines might have different break-in requirements?

Can you explain this logic please?
PT
As far as I know AMG spends hours on the dyno with the engine prior to installing into the chassis. At the challenge the instructors essentially told me that break in is unnecessary. I can't imagine the 63 being any different.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The engine is broken in, the rest of the car isn't.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
The engine is broken in, the rest of the car isn't.
Bingo.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by BENZGal
This is hilarious to me! I did have the dyno's along with other people from this forum and none of you guys wanted to believe me. Now after the recent drags and dyno's you guys have come to the same conclusion? My tuner was able reset my ECU, but I am still missing 15hp. You hear guys on this board talking about Cory still working on their ECU. I can tell you that there are a handful of guys that Cory is still working on the ECU. Most of you guys are too shy or don't have the guts to come forward. I did talk to MBUSA.
.............werd!!!

Ted
Old 09-17-2006, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Whats your point? Your tuner can do what nobody else can? Shy,guts....what does that have to do with anything? You went too MB and got what in return? A car with no warranty? I thought you had a different scenario than all the others,now your saying you had the exact same problem that others are talking about but your the only person to get things taken care of?
Jrocket,
I in no way meant to offend you or anyone. My point is that this issue is not new. My tuner is not special and they did the same thing that the other tuners are doing to help us with this issue. Remember I am still missing 15hp so they didn't fix the whole problem, they just got the load limit removed. I still have my warranty after talking to MB, and they offered me a new ECU un flashed with my warranty. The phone call was very positive and I didn't have to give up anything for them to help me. I have thought about ordering the new ECU, but 15hp is really not that much after I install my final mods. The car is plenty fast.

I thought I did have a seperate issue because only a few were posting about it. I have read tons of posts from people saying they didn't know if they believed all the reflash stuff. Only after I offered to talk to people via PM about it, did I realise how big this problem is. I have talked to several people that have my same problem, but have decided not to post it. These boards can be so harsh sometimes and lets face it, some people don't have the guts to talk about stuff. I was just venting that it would have been nice to have a few of you on that call.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by GMW
So we should be looking for a higher mileage E63 rather than testing a whole bunch of them with 700 miles to 1,500 miles only, on the clock. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Right now we are all comparing well broken in E55s with NOT yet broken in E63s.
I couldn't agree more. I do have a really good plan to solve this problem, though... someone buy me one of the E63's that are sitting in some of the dealer's showrooms (I know there's at least a couple), and I'll gladly make the four or five required roundtrip drives to Vegas (each one from here will add around 850 miles to the clock). Within a couple weeks we'll have an E63 ready for proper testing.

You think I'm joking?
Old 09-17-2006, 11:05 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
barring ecu limitations, no amount of breaking in of any combustion engine is going to yield 50hp...period. once the rings are seated properly (within the first 100 miles, less than that if you do it right) you're not going to gain much in terms of quantifiable hp.
es la verdad
Old 09-17-2006, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by BENZGal
Jrocket,
I in no way meant to offend you or anyone. My point is that this issue is not new. My tuner is not special and they did the same thing that the other tuners are doing to help us with this issue. Remember I am still missing 15hp so they didn't fix the whole problem, they just got the load limit removed. I still have my warranty after talking to MB, and they offered me a new ECU un flashed with my warranty. The phone call was very positive and I didn't have to give up anything for them to help me. I have thought about ordering the new ECU, but 15hp is really not that much after I install my final mods. The car is plenty fast.

I thought I did have a seperate issue because only a few were posting about it. I have read tons of posts from people saying they didn't know if they believed all the reflash stuff. Only after I offered to talk to people via PM about it, did I realise how big this problem is. I have talked to several people that have my same problem, but have decided not to post it. These boards can be so harsh sometimes and lets face it, some people don't have the guts to talk about stuff. I was just venting that it would have been nice to have a few of you on that call.
I am not offended easily,none taken.I do apologize if my words came across harsh,they are only words and I can not display the tone in which they were typed.I was just asking off the top of my head is all.

On the ecu issue,I'm curious if they can remove the load limiters from all ecu's now or if it was just a lucky deal with yours? If they can,it would seem they could be extremely busy fixing this problem.I haven't heard any buzz about it anywhere?
Old 09-17-2006, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
On the ecu issue,I'm curious if they can remove the load limiters from all ecu's now or if it was just a lucky deal with yours? ?
I would love to hear the answer myself...
Old 09-18-2006, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Again, funny, when the E55 was just intro'd no one got 13's, lots of people got 12s, but now we have all kinds of excuses why the 63 is in the 13's. The big debate was when someone posted they went into the 11's. Now the debate is why its in the 13's. Doesn't make sense.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 AM
Almost a Member!

What bugs me the most is the lack of an official response from MB (or AMG) on this matter, since I'm sure they know that some E63 owners are having issues with their power output.

Same thing with my beef on the lack of paddles on the W221 S65 in the US in the other subforum. Still no response or official word. *sigh*
Old 09-18-2006, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by vader
I would love to hear the answer myself...
............ther doctor cannot cure a disease that does not exist. We got very little support and mostly ridicule when we talked about this ECU flash problem. Nice to see that people are now paying attention.

Ted
Old 09-18-2006, 07:21 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
The new engine is differenct.

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
............not really. The e55's were dynoed and tracked right after delivery and the results were different from what is currently being observed for the E63. I do get your point about proper break-in. However, except if the E63 has a factory installed load limiter ala M5, no ammount of break-in is goint to get you from 380RWHP to 415RHP which is what the stock E55's were making before the recall.

...........what is not getting much press is that post re-call, the stock E55's are also dynoing 370-380RWHP. Here is a link to one. https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/163136-dyno-d-my-beast.html

Ted
I don't know about how much of an increase the breakin will do but from my experience on the S550 (221) vs the S500 (220) There was a big difference. From seat of the pants and the tyre squealing. 40-50 hp increase would seam possible. It was like driving a small output V8 and as far as I remember when my Dad got the S500 (220) the difference after 5-7,000 miles was a small improvement not like on the S550 where its like a light pressure turbo was added. I believe there is a limiter on the gearbox or engine or both. That's why I believe the E63's will be getting faster in a bit.

Every new car has a slight but noticeable improvement once broken in but I never felt such a jump like I did in the S550 that's why I bring it up. Heck even my C280 felt quite a bit better after 5,000 miles. The only similarity with these two and the E63 is that they all have the new 4 valve variable-tech engines and the new 7-speed gearboxes. I guess we'll have to wait for someone with more than 5,000 miles on the clock to conclude on this issue.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E63S,
Originally Posted by GMW
I don't know about how much of an increase the breakin will do but from my experience on the S550 (221) vs the S500 (220) There was a big difference. From seat of the pants and the tyre squealing. 40-50 hp increase would seam possible. It was like driving a small output V8 and as far as I remember when my Dad got the S500 (220) the difference after 5-7,000 miles was a small improvement not like on the S550 where its like a light pressure turbo was added. I believe there is a limiter on the gearbox or engine or both. That's why I believe the E63's will be getting faster in a bit.

Every new car has a slight but noticeable improvement once broken in but I never felt such a jump like I did in the S550 that's why I bring it up. Heck even my C280 felt quite a bit better after 5,000 miles. The only similarity with these two and the E63 is that they all have the new 4 valve variable-tech engines and the new 7-speed gearboxes. I guess we'll have to wait for someone with more than 5,000 miles on the clock to conclude on this issue.

Thanks for the scientific analysis, but for future reference that dyno that you think you have built into your *** isnt exactly a calibrated tool.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not offended easily,none taken.I do apologize if my words came across harsh,they are only words and I can not display the tone in which they were typed.I was just asking off the top of my head is all.

On the ecu issue,I'm curious if they can remove the load limiters from all ecu's now or if it was just a lucky deal with yours? If they can,it would seem they could be extremely busy fixing this problem.I haven't heard any buzz about it anywhere?
Sorry I'm bad!!!

I meant to say...removed load limit issue. They reflashed my car with another MB and then put the powerchip back on. My tuner has been able to help every customer this way. Cory is doing the same thing, but for some strange reason some of his clients cars are not accepting a previous version ECU flash. I feel super bad for those people! Cory knows his stuff so I am sure a fix is right around the corner. My tuner is also working on a fix.

Before they got my car flashed back to a previous version, I bought and ported Vrus TB, and installed it only to throw a check engine light as soon as it hit the load limit. My dyno showed a loss of about 70hp after the recall. It's funny I saw that guys thread asking where his 70hp went? LOL Just so that you all know, 65-75hp has become the average number.

My phone call with MBUSA helped me understand how complex this problem really is. I was feeling really bad for myself until I decided to get a quote last week to convert my car to a 6.0L. "F" the ECU.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

............ther doctor cannot cure a disease that does not exist. We got very little support and mostly ridicule when we talked about this ECU flash problem. Nice to see that people are now paying attention.

Ted

Werd!!
Old 09-18-2006, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55

Ted
Well Ted, thanks to you posting this info online a while back and pte informing me about the obdII blocks, I was able to avoid the entire problem.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:14 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by SmokinV10
Thanks for the scientific analysis, but for future reference that dyno that you think you have built into your *** isnt exactly a calibrated tool.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:27 PM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Originally Posted by SmokinV10
That was funny! What an intelligent observation!
Old 09-18-2006, 03:40 PM

2004 E55
...........what is not getting much press is that post re-call, the stock E55's are also dynoing 370-380RWHP. Here is a link to one. https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163136

Ted
I agree 100% with this. I had my Recall ECU done, but Kleemann was able to write over the re-call and put down some respectable #'s on the dyno.(K2)
Otherwise - I would have been "screamin"!! at the serv rep.
I think the whole recall is BS and they're trying to get the 55's to be no faster than the 63's!! Just my .02
Old 01-15-2007, 10:05 AM

hehe

Originally Posted by NY_SG
Listen the guy raced E63 and E55 same day same track over and over again the numbers tell. Therefore case close.

Mercedes should put AWD on their cars put a good traction program and wider wheels. I am sure all their cars will fly LOL.
Then it would be an Audi... =-0

(Audi just needs to make more RS's... problem solved)

... Based on these concerns, would any of you still buy the E63? I mean there is a bit more then just the supposed power increases, like ventilated seats and uh... umm... ...well, would you? For a full loaded price of say $96?

I was looking to get an E63, order in July or so and then wait and Euro delivery, but I don't want to have this little thing in the back of my mind telling me all I bought was a fancier badge and a flashy new look while my *** is being cooled in the hot sun. Would someone say that this is enough to convince you not to make the move?

Last edited by RichVA; 01-15-2007 at 10:14 AM.