Drag addendum and ECU issues evaluated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E 55 Black
Drag addendum and ECU issues evaluated

Hey guys,

All this talk about drags in Cali got me all excited. I have been a long time viewer, but felt I needed to get in on the action.

A buddy of mine has a '99 c5 'vette and avter he had a "ride" in the beast, wanted to do a little head to head comparison. Last night at US 131 Raceway Park, they had a "test and tune" and we decided to run.

As an aside, after having my service "C" done with all the recall stuff, My butt dyno was telling me I had lost significant front end power (not being able to smoke tires all the way to third and sometimes not able to do it at all from launch ). Reading the issues post flash, I was less than optimistic as to how the beast would run, as well as being a first timer at drag racing.

Let me tell you guys something. Last night was Friggin' awesome!!! While I did not get a chance to go head to head with my buddy, I did get to run against an '05 C6 'Vette (not z06), an '05 Viper, and an '05 Dodge Charger R/T with a license plate that said "1BAD4DR".

I am a stock machine running the OEM Conti's Track conditions were great! Temps were in the upper 60's most of the night with unknown humidity. The track itself was like flypaper! I did a total of 6 runs with about a 1/3 tank of gas, tranny settings on sport,traction control on and suspension on comfort. Tire pressures were left at 35 to 36. My R/t's were all relatively Sh**ty - ranging from .67 to .9 something. My 60' were all relatively the same at about 1.90 to 1.94, with no wheelspin of the line and the traction control light never coming on all through launch. Technique was power brake to 1100 - 1200 RPM's and mash the pedal on the third amber. E/T's were all 12.4 to low 12.5's with top MPH's at or just under 113. I smoked all three of the above cars by multiple car lengths...it was never a contest. To the viper's credit, however, he was never really able to get off the line without smoking the tires. The best I saw him run was a 12.9. I will try to post my time slips later today ( after the UM - ND game! )

My observations after running are as follows. While there was a significant change in the way the car pulls through 1st and second, the end result is what I expected the car to run. Obviously with the trap speeds seen in Cali, both the track and conditions were Horrendous!!!!! I feel bad for you guys!!! I'm sure you all had an absolute riot, though and I think we got some great comparisons for future reference. I guess we will have to wait until Monday to see the East Coasters' numbers. Can't wait!!!
Old 09-16-2006, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Wolverine55
My 60' were all relatively the same at about 1.90 to 1.94, with no wheelspin of the line and the traction control light never coming on all through launch. Technique was power brake to 1100 - 1200 RPM's and mash the pedal on the third amber. E/T's were all 12.4 to low 12.5's with top MPH's at or just under 113.
That sounds like a good hooked up pass.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2020 G550
WOW.
That makes me proud to be an E55 owner
Good Job!
Old 09-17-2006, 03:04 PM

Great times I know you said you ran in S mode but did you try M mode? I thought the M mode shifts faster then S, I'm I wrong?

I'm planning on running on Sept 30 and trying to get all the info I can. One problem at my track is the water box, there is no way to go around it you must drive over it. I guess I can smoke them dry
Old 09-17-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
You have to shift in M mode (manual).
Old 09-17-2006, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolverine55
Hey guys,

All this talk about drags in Cali got me all excited. I have been a long time viewer, but felt I needed to get in on the action.

A buddy of mine has a '99 c5 'vette and avter he had a "ride" in the beast, wanted to do a little head to head comparison. Last night at US 131 Raceway Park, they had a "test and tune" and we decided to run.

As an aside, after having my service "C" done with all the recall stuff, My butt dyno was telling me I had lost significant front end power (not being able to smoke tires all the way to third and sometimes not able to do it at all from launch ). Reading the issues post flash, I was less than optimistic as to how the beast would run, as well as being a first timer at drag racing.

Let me tell you guys something. Last night was Friggin' awesome!!! While I did not get a chance to go head to head with my buddy, I did get to run against an '05 C6 'Vette (not z06), an '05 Viper, and an '05 Dodge Charger R/T with a license plate that said "1BAD4DR".

I am a stock machine running the OEM Conti's Track conditions were great! Temps were in the upper 60's most of the night with unknown humidity. The track itself was like flypaper! I did a total of 6 runs with about a 1/3 tank of gas, tranny settings on sport,traction control on and suspension on comfort. Tire pressures were left at 35 to 36. My R/t's were all relatively Sh**ty - ranging from .67 to .9 something. My 60' were all relatively the same at about 1.90 to 1.94, with no wheelspin of the line and the traction control light never coming on all through launch. Technique was power brake to 1100 - 1200 RPM's and mash the pedal on the third amber. E/T's were all 12.4 to low 12.5's with top MPH's at or just under 113. I smoked all three of the above cars by multiple car lengths...it was never a contest. To the viper's credit, however, he was never really able to get off the line without smoking the tires. The best I saw him run was a 12.9. I will try to post my time slips later today ( after the UM - ND game! )

My observations after running are as follows. While there was a significant change in the way the car pulls through 1st and second, the end result is what I expected the car to run. Obviously with the trap speeds seen in Cali, both the track and conditions were Horrendous!!!!! I feel bad for you guys!!! I'm sure you all had an absolute riot, though and I think we got some great comparisons for future reference. I guess we will have to wait until Monday to see the East Coasters' numbers. Can't wait!!!
great write up...

You experienced what a usual E55 will do on a good track... hardly any slip and the TC will not bog down the engine.

Our experience this past friday, the E55's and K2 were bogging down in first and spun on second as well..
Old 09-17-2006, 05:40 PM

'05 E 55 Black
I did not run in M mode. AMG does state allegedly 30% faster response from C to S, But I'm not sure of the increase in the shift speed from S to M. In my day to day driving, it doesn't seem to be noticeable with the latter two modes.

Trending Topics

Old 09-17-2006, 05:46 PM

'05 E 55 Black
TopGun,

Great experience you guys had. I watched some of the videos...frustrating conditions, but still a riot! I had the camcorder out as well. My dad got me lining up for my first run and.....the batteries went dead. Backup battery as well. Grrr. Oh well, next time...