More, please.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by SleeperX
Here you go!
More to come.
Very nice set up frank!, Well can't wait to compare with the Meth this sunday...
Old 06-04-2007, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Here you go!
More to come.
Looks good.

Please keep us posted.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
How restrictive do you guys think this would be in the air intake tubes? It is cooled with CO2 in order to chill the air going into the IC. I am told that it could drop ambient temperatures as much as 30 degrees F.
Attached Thumbnails IC heat exchanger-p2130084.jpg.jpg  
Old 06-08-2007, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
How restrictive do you guys think this would be in the air intake tubes? It is cooled with CO2 in order to chill the air going into the IC. I am told that it could drop ambient temperatures as much as 30 degrees F.
got a pic of the inside?
Old 06-09-2007, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
The 19 chambers that you see on the right go all the way through to the other side. So in essence, what you are looking at is the same as what the inside looks like.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Since it would be installed pre-'charger, I don't think it would help as much as a better heat exchanger or a post-'charger cooling solution. Adiabatic heating would erase most of your gains.

Put that in-line in the liquid cooling circuit and you should see something !!!
Old 06-30-2007, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Time to bring this thread back to life. As a refresher, I installed a CRY02 intercooler sprayer and I added a CRYO2 fuel bar into my coolant line. The fuel bar is filled with CO2 which is suppose to cool the coolant prior to entering the intercooler. Well, I tested the set up with my new data logger and the results were barely noticeable. No drop in coolant temperature and no drop in IATs. Back to the drawing board. Now I am faced with a dilemma. Do I remove the entire system or do I make a few changes.

First change, add a CRYo2 light bulb as picture below. This bulb will sit in my intake tube and is suppose to drop the air temperature as much as 50 degrees.

Second adjustment is to remove the CRYo2 fuel bar and replace it with a cryofuzion water chiller. THe cryofuzion water chiller picture below is designed to cooler water and coolant. It is a foot long and has 19 holes on the inside as picture below.

So the million dollar question is, do I remove the system or make the above mentioned adjustments.
Attached Thumbnails IC heat exchanger-dei-080119_w.jpg   IC heat exchanger-race2.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2007, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
SleeperX,

I applaud you for your effort,but I dont think any of that stuff will produce any gains worth the effort put out.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the cryofuzion system looks like it has more potential but how long would a bottle of co2 last with that system??? i wouldn't think very long which could make it more inconvenient.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
the cryofuzion system looks like it has more potential but how long would a bottle of co2 last with that system??? i wouldn't think very long which could make it more inconvenient.
Not very long. 10-15 sprays and it is empty. Very inconvient. Not to mention that accusations that I am running NOS.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Not very long. 10-15 sprays and it is empty. Very inconvient. Not to mention that accusations that I am running NOS.
Plus those items look to be very air restrictive.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Plus those items look to be very air restrictive.
The intake air bulb is a little air restrictive but the other parts are used to cool the coolant. I dont think they would be all that restrictive but I do think/ hope it could cool the coolant right before it goes into the intercooler.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
The intake air bulb is a little air restrictive but the other parts are used to cool the coolant. I dont think they would be all that restrictive but I do think/ hope it could cool the coolant right before it goes into the intercooler.
This is my opinion only,but the unit would have to have so much surface area to actually cool the coolant before it gets to the IC that the unit itself would be huge.At some point you would have to get the coolant to slow way down and let the heat get taken out of it,that the cryo exchanger is now huge and not beneficial.Plus the amount of Co2 that will be needed.

Bigger IC is the main thing needed.AMG knows this,thus the huge IC's on the SLR.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Time to bring this thread back to life. As a refresher, I installed a CRY02 intercooler sprayer and I added a CRYO2 fuel bar into my coolant line. The fuel bar is filled with CO2 which is suppose to cool the coolant prior to entering the intercooler. Well, I tested the set up with my new data logger and the results were barely noticeable. No drop in coolant temperature and no drop in IATs. Back to the drawing board. Now I am faced with a dilemma. Do I remove the entire system or do I make a few changes.

First change, add a CRYo2 light bulb as picture below. This bulb will sit in my intake tube and is suppose to drop the air temperature as much as 50 degrees.

Second adjustment is to remove the CRYo2 fuel bar and replace it with a cryofuzion water chiller. THe cryofuzion water chiller picture below is designed to cooler water and coolant. It is a foot long and has 19 holes on the inside as picture below.

So the million dollar question is, do I remove the system or make the above mentioned adjustments.
.............I am somewhat familiar with this. The company that makes crufuzion call it the interfreezer. It was designed as cold air intake system. This does not mean that one cannot use it to cool the coolant. Not sure how to make the hoses fit because the diameter of the cryfuzion chillers are large since they were designed for air intake tubes.

http://www.cryofuzion.com./products.htm#Interfreezer

Ted
Old 07-01-2007, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.............I am somewhat familiar with this. The company that makes crufuzion call it the interfreezer. It was designed as cold air intake system. This does not mean that one cannot use it to cool the coolant. Not sure how to make the hoses fit because the diameter of the cryfuzion chillers are large since they were designed for air intake tubes.

http://www.cryofuzion.com./products.htm#Interfreezer

Ted
Ted,
These guys actaully make an interfreezer specifically for water/coolant. It is over a foot long and about 3.5 inches in width.
http://www.cryofuzion.com./gallery.htm
Take a look at the description under the 2003 Mercury Marauder (Supercharged).
Old 07-01-2007, 01:29 PM

03 E55 K2, 98 Dodge Ram2500 diesel/propane, M3 race car, BMW X3
I just bought an E55 that has the Cryocool kit installed. It has a ring that sprays the intercooler radiator and also the airbulbs in the intake tubes. I was concerned that they would be restrictive but according to Cryocool they cause less than 1% decreased airflow.

I just bought an OBD II scanner with real time data and can monitor the intake temp. I need to get the bottle filled and then I will post some data on the intake temps following a spray of the CO2. I can do a manual spray as well have the full throttle activation if the system is turned on. So, I was going to try constant load ... say 65mph on cruise, get a baseline temp and then see if you could see the temp go down after a 5 second spray... which is what you get when you go to full throttle with the system turned on.

Overall, this seems like a pretty limited setup for road use. Might be good for the strip but can't really see filling the bottle every couple weeks unless the effect was pretty fantastic.

I will keep you posted once I have some data... probably the end of this week.

Mark.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Ted,
These guys actaully make an interfreezer specifically for water/coolant. It is over a foot long and about 3.5 inches in width.
http://www.cryofuzion.com./gallery.htm
Take a look at the description under the 2003 Mercury Marauder (Supercharged).
..........I see it now. Thanks. Do you know if it is safe for the C02 tank itself to be in the engine bay instead of somewhere in the trunk. I don't think it is a problem from an engine hazard stand point because Co2 itself is a fire retardant. C02 itself can negatively affect engine performance, but in this case it is encased in a sealed cylinder. what will be nice is a recirculating CO2 system, so you don't have to change cylinders often.

Ted
Old 07-01-2007, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mkeeton
I just bought an E55 that has the Cryocool kit installed. It has a ring that sprays the intercooler radiator and also the airbulbs in the intake tubes. I was concerned that they would be restrictive but according to Cryocool they cause less than 1% decreased airflow.

I just bought an OBD II scanner with real time data and can monitor the intake temp. I need to get the bottle filled and then I will post some data on the intake temps following a spray of the CO2. I can do a manual spray as well have the full throttle activation if the system is turned on. So, I was going to try constant load ... say 65mph on cruise, get a baseline temp and then see if you could see the temp go down after a 5 second spray... which is what you get when you go to full throttle with the system turned on.

Overall, this seems like a pretty limited setup for road use. Might be good for the strip but can't really see filling the bottle every couple weeks unless the effect was pretty fantastic.

I will keep you posted once I have some data... probably the end of this week.

Mark.
i believe the spray bars will benefit air-to-air intercoolers much more than they will our air-to-water heat exchangers so i'm looking forward to your results.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:40 PM

03 E55 K2, 98 Dodge Ram2500 diesel/propane, M3 race car, BMW X3
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i believe the spray bars will benefit air-to-air intercoolers much more than they will our air-to-water heat exchangers so i'm looking forward to your results.
Interested myself to see what this system does. Found this disturbing link on the cryofuzion site: http://www.cryofuzion.com./spraybar.htm

They seem to indicate that vented CO2 is going to get into the intake and drop the power which would pretty much negate any gains from the cooling. Still, it will be interesting to see if there is any intake temp drop.

Will post some data once I have done some reproducible runs.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interested myself to see what this system does. Found this disturbing link on the cryofuzion site: http://www.cryofuzion.com./spraybar.htm

They seem to indicate that vented CO2 is going to get into the intake and drop the power which would pretty much negate any gains from the cooling. Still, it will be interesting to see if there is any intake temp drop.

yes but keep in mind most of the applications for this are running cai systems with huge open mouths under and slightly behind (and to the side of) the i/c. our sytem has two tiny inlets above and slightly forward of the i/c so it may not be much of a problem. i'm still not conviced it would work as well on air-to-water heat exchangers but it would be good to find out.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..........I see it now. Thanks. Do you know if it is safe for the C02 tank itself to be in the engine bay instead of somewhere in the trunk.
Ted
It might not be prudent to install a pressurized cylinder in an area that may (heaven forbid) be involved in an impact - a steel or aluminum missile is the last thing needed during an accident, IMO.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55

They spray bars can be used, but only when you are moving. It will harm performance. I can guarantee this from my old personal experience. I have witnessed it on dyno tests as well as the track. On the dyno the hp recovers pretty quickly but you can see a drop in hp each time you spray.On the track, I sprayed before I launched (3x) and I ran something like a 15 seconds at 95mph. Car wouldnt go anywhere until I reached the 1/4 mile mark.

I CANT EMPHASIZE ENOUGH. DO NOT SPRAY UNLESS YOU ARE DOING ABOUT 60MPH.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
It might not be prudent to install a pressurized cylinder in an area that may (heaven forbid) be involved in an impact - a steel or aluminum missile is the last thing needed during an accident, IMO.
..........you've got a point.

.........as far as spraying CO2, I agree totally with sleeperX. Co2 is an anti oxidant. and a flame retardant. You will loose performance.

........The beauty of our cars is that they are daily drivers that outperform dedicated weekend warriors. The more I think about this CO2 freezing and spraying, the more I wonder if the basic appeal of the car will be lost.

Ted
Old 07-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Spray nitrous instead of C02. That way if it gets in the intake track you get a nice bonus, lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IC heat exchanger