E63 Factory HP Claims Truthful?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by WayneE
With just 2 samples, it's tough to say that there is a widespread problem, but it certainly bears more investigation. What has MB said to you about the issue, getbitten?

Have you contacted an attorney? Looked into any contacts with the FTC (I assume they would be the one to hold MB to the fire for falsely advertising HP)?

I'll lay a GW down and say that if you push the issue, MB will just buyback the car. Any takers?
I'll take it. I say no buyback based on HP alone. No way. It is NOT a safety issue. Can the car be lemoned? Yes, if it is treated properly and documented well. NOT if the claim stems from advertised claims.

For the HP figures, you guys are all forgetting that MB's figures are simple marketing as were the E55 numbers. You can no more sue MB for under-rating than you can for OVER-rating. It is either a lie or not, which way is not significant. Using the E55 as an example actually strengthens MB's position. it shows that they have always been in the ballpark and that it has never mattered.

I guarantee you one thing. Somewhere, somehow an AMG E63 put down 507HP at the crank AND it is well documented. Setting an HP rating has certain criteria. While the intent of the regulations is to provide "rue" facts, the practice that is accepted to establish these numbers are simply intended to control and normalize. IF (and i guarantee MB did) MB followed the proper regulatory path, thne the 507hp is valid. It makes no difference how many of you guys run Dynos and complain.

My advise? Be realistic. Do you really think MB will take your car back and go ahead and release the TT they have hidden in the closet? Do you think MB will give you an extra $10K to mod back the 50HP? Then stop going down those paths. So what if you could prove that the E63 doesn't make 507 on a real day? So what? Worst case, MB would have to change their number to the corrected one. Your car will still be the same!
If you wish you had not gotten it, dump it for a loss, or begin the lemon procedure early.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 SL63 AMG, sliver
It seems like the E55 HP dyno numbers suggest that it has the same engine as the S55, SL55 etc. MB reported a lower HP number for marketing reasons, but they probably were installing the same engine with similar tunning.

Maybe the same thing has happened with the 63 on in the other direction. Maybe the CLK63 (that gets like 480hp I think) is closer to reality (which would be around 390rwhp) and they increased the number for the E63 marketing but in reality it is just the same engine.

The numbers make sense.

I have to agree that going to the dealer with 2 dyno examples is not going to do much. We need a lot more data. Even then they might not do anything about it.

PT
Old 09-18-2006, 11:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jangy
I'll take it. I say no buyback based on HP alone. No way. It is NOT a safety issue. Can the car be lemoned? Yes, if it is treated properly and documented well. NOT if the claim stems from advertised claims.

For the HP figures, you guys are all forgetting that MB's figures are simple marketing as were the E55 numbers. You can no more sue MB for under-rating than you can for OVER-rating. It is either a lie or not, which way is not significant. Using the E55 as an example actually strengthens MB's position. it shows that they have always been in the ballpark and that it has never mattered.

I guarantee you one thing. Somewhere, somehow an AMG E63 put down 507HP at the crank AND it is well documented. Setting an HP rating has certain criteria. While the intent of the regulations is to provide "rue" facts, the practice that is accepted to establish these numbers are simply intended to control and normalize. IF (and i guarantee MB did) MB followed the proper regulatory path, thne the 507hp is valid. It makes no difference how many of you guys run Dynos and complain.

My advise? Be realistic. Do you really think MB will take your car back and go ahead and release the TT they have hidden in the closet? Do you think MB will give you an extra $10K to mod back the 50HP? Then stop going down those paths. So what if you could prove that the E63 doesn't make 507 on a real day? So what? Worst case, MB would have to change their number to the corrected one. Your car will still be the same!
If you wish you had not gotten it, dump it for a loss, or begin the lemon procedure early.
This entire post is wrong.

SAE HP ratings are not just marketing tools. There is a reason that they were recently under scrutiny and standarized. You cannot just pull numbers out of your *** and sell based on those numbers.

Do you really think Ford and Mazda recalled their overated cars for safety?
No manufacturer does this to be nice...and it all started with customer dyno testing.

If, end the end, it is only a handful of underpowered cars...then I believe a buy back could be offered or some other compensation. If it is a model wide problem, other steps could be taken.

In the end, the car is marketed to make 507 HP...it even posts on the sticker price. THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE BUYING.
It doesn't say..."if you are lucky, you will get 507 HP or maybe on a good day you will get 507 HP"...

HP is tangible and valuable in this instance. It is not a boast.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:40 PM

For instance...

Hyundai Motor Co. was busted after inflating the horsepower ratings of its U.S. vehicles by as much as 10 percent for more than a decade. The South Korea-based automaker agreed in 2004 to pay $30 million to settle a lawsuit filed on behalf of 858,000 owners.

In 2001, Nissan Motor Co. came under fire after overstating the acceleration of its Infiniti Q45 sedan. Ford Motor Co. admitted overstating the horsepower rating of its 1999 Mustang Cobra R, and Mazda Motor Corp. did the same with the 2001 Miata roadster. Buyers of both cars were offered compensation.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:45 PM

No offense, but I've not once asked anyone what to do about this. I know my options.
I want answers and one way or another I will get them. Having other 63 owners step up and dyno helps to figure out if this is a fluke or fraud.

That is what this thread is about. If I wanted, the dealer would take the car back. No big deal. I want the car, and I want to know where the stated HP is.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:55 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)

this is called false advertisement and they need to make the correction either thru via their brochere or make up the hp difference in the car. either way, mb needs to take action. marketing the e63 to a lower hp will destroy any sales for the e63. i'm guessing mb will make changes to increase hp (if proven).

Last edited by amgme; 09-18-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,085 Likes on 872 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Here is some interesting reading:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins...A01-283759.htm

The low power may be covered by Warranty of Merchantability of the UCC where as the manufacturer is selling a car based on the fact that it has a certain hp rating. If the car does not meet these claims, the situation may indicate that the car does not meet the warranty of merchantability and does not perform as promised or advertised:

http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/inde...&contentID=294

Express Warranties
Express warranties by the seller are created, provided they are a part of the basis of the bargain, by:

any affirmation of fact or promise made by the seller to the buyer relating to the goods (goods must conform to affirmation or promise).
any description of the goods (goods must conform to description).
any sample or model (goods must conform to sample or model).
It is not necessary that seller use formal words such as "warrant" or "guarantee." Nor is it necessary that seller intend to make a warranty. However, expression of the seller’s opinion or commendation of the goods does not constitute a warranty, nor does mere "puffing."

"Part of the Basis of the Bargain" is broadly interpreted. The term "bargain" encompasses the entire transaction and surrounding circumstances and specific evidence of reliance on a statement is unnecessary. The customer must usually only show that he read or heard and believed the statement, but other circumstances or contractual disclaimers can make it unreasonable for the buyer to believe that statements or promises were part of the basis of the bargain.

The statement need not be made by the actual retail seller, but can be the manufacturer’s statement or promise, or that of a third party that gets introduced into the bargaining process.

In early 1975, Congress enacted the Magnuson-Moss Warranty – Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, found at 15 U.S.C. §§2301-12. The Act applies to consumer product warranties – i.e., a consumer product being one "normally used for personal family or household purposes," and it has been implemented by FTC regulations found at 16 C.F.R. §701 et. seq.

Under the Act, effective July 5, 1975, every warranty in writing must fully and conspicuously disclose in simple and readily understood language the terms and conditions of such warranty, including whether the warranty is a full or limited warranty in accordance with the standards set forth in the Act. (SEE SECTION ON MAGNUSON-MOSS BELOW). To the extent of any conflict between the provisions of the Act and the Commercial Code, the Act controls under the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. constitution.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by getbitten
This entire post is wrong.

SAE HP ratings are not just marketing tools. There is a reason that they were recently under scrutiny and standarized. You cannot just pull numbers out of your *** and sell based on those numbers.

Do you really think Ford and Mazda recalled their overated cars for safety?
No manufacturer does this to be nice...and it all started with customer dyno testing.

If, end the end, it is only a handful of underpowered cars...then I believe a buy back could be offered or some other compensation. If it is a model wide problem, other steps could be taken.

In the end, the car is marketed to make 507 HP...it even posts on the sticker price. THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE BUYING.
It doesn't say..."if you are lucky, you will get 507 HP or maybe on a good day you will get 507 HP"...

HP is tangible and valuable in this instance. It is not a boast.
Well said,I agree.Hopefully enough 63's will get together too help each other find some answers.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:46 AM

'10 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by getbitten
The South Korea-based automaker agreed in 2004 to pay $30 million to settle a lawsuit filed on behalf of 858,000 owners.
That's about 35 bucks per participant. Not much of a settlement - maybe buy you a pair of wiper blades.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:02 AM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
this is off topic but someone in the clk63 forum posted some times for the clk63. dunno if it's from a publication or .... but the times doesn't look good. mb states 0-60 in 4.6s. the poster listed 5.3s for the 0-100
Old 09-19-2006, 01:14 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
When it comes to manufacturer claims, to purposely overstate HP is extremely risky to say the least... and understating is even worse as you bring in the insurance company liability factor since HP is one of the actuary metrics they use to set rates. That said...

Has anyone for even a moment considered that the dyno-jet readings are wrong?

I mean... are we to believe that a particular dyno... in say Miami, Florida... is calibrated to the exact standards as one in Long Beach, California ? Or even just north in Orlando? I mean... who validates these machines? And when they test the cars for their customers, are all readings being measured at the same temperature, same altitude, with the same fuel? No, no, and no.

I'm not saying that MB isn't over stating HP, but someone please present something remotely resembling a scientific test.

~ Ian
Old 09-19-2006, 04:17 AM

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts
I do think that all of the forum are attacking MB for the 63 not giving out the power that everyone would expect from an AMG. Still no one have given the car a chance to break in properlly we are all forgetting that. we tested the car against an M5 and i didn't put up the video cuz the E63 got beaten big time!
we tested with the same car after putting on few K's and it held up neck to neck with the M5, and the M5's here are european Spec. Launch controlle starts at 4000rpm they are FAST. we took the car to the dealer and explained the lack of power that is not suppose to be with the E63 and they said that a new software is developed by AMG for the E63 and will be updating the cars!!

like what happened with the SL55 in 2003 when they upgraded them from 476hp or so to 500hp

so i can't understand why all are attacking and we all know that AMG has never let us down!
Old 09-19-2006, 05:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 CLS55, 07 997TT, 07 ML63, 10 X6M, 11 Alpina B7, 12 997TTS, 13 G63, 13 MP4-12C
Interesting debate, but may I suggest testing the car by going to a drag strip instead of a DynoJet? You'll get a more accurate guage of HP on the strip than the Dyno.

Trap speed in the 1/4mile is a more accurate guage of HP ratings than a rotating drum. Here is the link to my post to the other thread in the CLS forum:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....89&postcount=4

An E63 weights about 4050lb as rated from the factory. Factoring in the driver and let's say the total weight is 4200lb. If you trap speed is above 105mph, the car is producing at least 380 rwhp. If you go over 110mph the car is making over 430 rwhp.

Here is a couple links to online calculators for you all to do your own calculations:

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/dyno.htm

For those who want the actual dragracers' formula, it's :

rwhp = weight x (velocity/234)3 <-- that's cubed
Old 09-19-2006, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Interesting debate, but may I suggest testing the car by going to a drag strip instead of a DynoJet? You'll get a more accurate guage of HP on the strip than the Dyno.

Trap speed in the 1/4mile is a more accurate guage of HP ratings than a rotating drum. Here is the link to my post to the other thread in the CLS forum:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....89&postcount=4

An E63 weights about 4050lb as rated from the factory. Factoring in the driver and let's say the total weight is 4200lb. If you trap speed is above 105mph, the car is producing at least 380 rwhp. If you go over 110mph the car is making over 430 rwhp.

Here is a couple links to online calculators for you all to do your own calculations:

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/dyno.htm

For those who want the actual dragracers' formula, it's :

rwhp = weight x (velocity/234)3 <-- that's cubed

One problem, some claim that formula is engine-hp while some sites claim it's rwhp. There have been several cool and calm threads on the matter.

I will admit though that if it equals crank hp, the numbers make more sense. If you interpret the formula as actual hp and weight to run set trap speed then you automatically assume rwhp.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:09 PM

Angry

425 HP...for God's sake

Horsepower @ wheels: 376.60
Torque @ wheels: 367.30

http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Charg...slip-9469.html

Based on the E-class...less reported HP and similar weight.
Notice the RWHP numbers...look familiar?
The Charger SRT-8 actually shows a less than 15% drivetrain loss of power.

And it ran nearly identical times at the track at 1/4 Mile ET: 12.809
1/4 Mile MPH: 109.432...actually a bit better than Derek's run.

This is what I feel is more accurate as to what the E63 is making.

Numbers just don't lie...
Old 09-19-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 CLS55, 07 997TT, 07 ML63, 10 X6M, 11 Alpina B7, 12 997TTS, 13 G63, 13 MP4-12C
Originally Posted by rflow306
One problem, some claim that formula is engine-hp while some sites claim it's rwhp. There have been several cool and calm threads on the matter.

I will admit though that if it equals crank hp, the numbers make more sense. If you interpret the formula as actual hp and weight to run set trap speed then you automatically assume rwhp.

The hp from the formula is the actual hp needed to push the car to said speed at 1/4mile. It's the hp that actually hits the ground, hence rwhp.

If you take the hp rating as one produced at the crank, then it means driveline have zero loses or the numbers will not add up. I know that debate, it's always a wildly discussed subject at engineering school.

The 63 motor was developed for the future as the 55 Kompressor engine is not going to make it pass future regulations, it was never promised to be a home run over the 55. The Kompressor is worth about 150hp on the 55, the 63 makes up that much with only 0.8 liter extra displacement. Quite a feat if you ask me and it is a gem of an engine just like the 55.

It was reported that the 63 motor is electronically limited in it's torque output to protect the 7-speed gear box, as it still makes too much torque for the gear box to handle. If that is true it WILL affect the trapspeed and time for 1/4mile and the driveline lose will be greater than 15% that everyone assumes because of the electronic limit.

Just about the only way certain to find out if the 63 motor is making what MB claims it's making is to take it out and put it on a dyno and run the SAE test, I am sure lawyers will find a way to recover the cost of doing so from MB if it really does make less than MB claims.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
The hp from the formula is the actual hp needed to push the car to said speed at 1/4mile. It's the hp that actually hits the ground, hence rwhp.

If you take the hp rating as one produced at the crank, then it means driveline have zero loses or the numbers will not add up. I know that debate, it's always a wildly discussed subject at engineering school.

The 63 motor was developed for the future as the 55 Kompressor engine is not going to make it pass future regulations, it was never promised to be a home run over the 55. The Kompressor is worth about 150hp on the 55, the 63 makes up that much with only 0.8 liter extra displacement. Quite a feat if you ask me and it is a gem of an engine just like the 55.

It was reported that the 63 motor is electronically limited in it's torque output to protect the 7-speed gear box, as it still makes too much torque for the gear box to handle. If that is true it WILL affect the trapspeed and time for 1/4mile and the driveline lose will be greater than 15% that everyone assumes because of the electronic limit.

Just about the only way certain to find out if the 63 motor is making what MB claims it's making is to take it out and put it on a dyno and run the SAE test, I am sure lawyers will find a way to recover the cost of doing so from MB if it really does make less than MB claims.
........why are we treating the E63 as if it were something special? Why does one have to yank its engine from the car in order to dyno it. Why don't we do the same thing we have been doing to other cars by getting a rear wheel dynometer testing. We are making excuses for the E63 as if the E63 is the slow kid in the classromm that needs special education classes. Enough!! The indication so far is that the E63 has less Hp than factory claims. This may turn out to be false, but it must be decided using the same criteria that was used for all other cars before it.........rear wheel dyno. Same wy we evaluated the E55, the Z06, the M5 etc. Even a sophisticated car like the SLR has had to prove itself with a rear wheel dyno. What use is it to anyone if the E63 makes one million HP at the engine and zero HP at the rear wheel?

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 09-19-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
What use is it to the buyer if the car makes one million HP at the engine and zero HP at the rear wheel?

Ted
Your right,it would have no use at all.BUT if sombody really wanted to prove to themselves or MB for that matter,then an engine dyno will have to be done.Trying to prove a case to MB using rwhp figures wont be as effective as having true engine figures.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:15 PM

I drive a E55T, SLK55 and 65 Mustang Conv.
I am not sure if this will help but it cannot hurt. When my 2005 E55T had about 500 miles on it Rentech dyno'd it and I believe it got 372 RHP & 412 torq. I am going by memory on this but Wolf remembered the same numbers. I cannot tell you what type of machine was used as they never gave us a copy of the dyno.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:27 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Smile I do not think this is attacking

Originally Posted by dbasons55
I do think that all of the forum are attacking MB for the 63 not giving out the power that everyone would expect from an AMG. Still no one have given the car a chance to break in properlly we are all forgetting that. we tested the car against an M5 and i didn't put up the video cuz the E63 got beaten big time!
we tested with the same car after putting on few K's and it held up neck to neck with the M5, and the M5's here are european Spec. Launch controlle starts at 4000rpm they are FAST. we took the car to the dealer and explained the lack of power that is not suppose to be with the E63 and they said that a new software is developed by AMG for the E63 and will be updating the cars!!

like what happened with the SL55 in 2003 when they upgraded them from 476hp or so to 500hp

so i can't understand why all are attacking and we all know that AMG has never let us down!
dbasons55: I do not think people are attacking AMG or MB, they (E63 Buyers) just want answers to "the missing horsepower" mystery. A proper break in period will not yield another 50 HP! They Deserve answers based on dyno's and claimed HP at the E63's debut!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:33 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Talking I think this is the "Missing HP Mystery" answer

Whoopsy: I think you have hit the nail on the head here. We just need AMG to fess up & admit it!
Old 09-19-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
torque

so you think that if you break in the 7 speed gently ... then magically after a few thousand miles it will be able to handle the torque?
Old 09-19-2006, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by SLK55R
so you think that if you break in the 7 speed gently ... then magically after a few thousand miles it will be able to handle the torque?
The 63's dont make any tq,so it should be just fine.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E63S,
Originally Posted by IanSL55
When it comes to manufacturer claims, to purposely overstate HP is extremely risky to say the least... and understating is even worse as you bring in the insurance company liability factor since HP is one of the actuary metrics they use to set rates. That said...

Has anyone for even a moment considered that the dyno-jet readings are wrong?

I mean... are we to believe that a particular dyno... in say Miami, Florida... is calibrated to the exact standards as one in Long Beach, California ? Or even just north in Orlando? I mean... who validates these machines? And when they test the cars for their customers, are all readings being measured at the same temperature, same altitude, with the same fuel? No, no, and no.

I'm not saying that MB isn't over stating HP, but someone please present something remotely resembling a scientific test.

~ Ian
I know the dynojet where Getbitten got his E63 dyno tested. That dynojet has been used on countless other cars with accurate and consistent readings. In fact, that dynojet is used primarily on highly modified dodge vipers. I would say that Viper owners may be some of the most "horsepower conscious" group that exists in the gearhead world. If any discrepancy existed on that machine, people would have been crying foul a long time ago
Old 09-19-2006, 08:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E63S,

Wrong. If MBZ limits the torque they are also limiting the horsepower as horsepower is just a function of torque and RPM. Basically, if your assumption is true, and they are limiting torque below the advertised figures they are not delivering the product as advertised or promised. Just how the hell do you people draw your conclusions?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63 Factory HP Claims Truthful?