Sponsored by:

Feed back on 03' E55...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMGs
Feed back on 03' E55...

How's it going guys? I've been lurker on this site for awhile now and finally decided to register and start asking questions since it's about that time I picked up an E55 for myself. Unfortunately my budget, as of right now, doesn't allow me to pick up a brand new sooo I was wondering if you guys had any feed back on the 03's. I know that alot of models have their fair share of bugs the first year it comes out, so should I stay away? Is there any difference between the years? Any input is very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:33 AM

I don't know if anyone has had this problem yet but I had to replace my Valve body in the transmission. The car would vibrate at 1500 to 1800RPMs. It acted like it needed to downshift or something. The problem has gone away after the replacement but I still have a resignating noise coming from the rear at low RPMs when the car is going up a hill. WOT there are no issues. Other than that, no complaints.

Gus//
Old 09-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
That is not a common problem (not to belittle it as tranny issues SUCK!!)

There is a difference between almost all model years. You may want to research my posts, to see that I am somewhat biased but I definitely recommend sucking it up and getting a newer model.
Here is my list of things to worry about by year. (MY OPINION)
'03 - EVERYTHING that is out of warranty
'04 - for early models, see above. For later models, only the comand electronics (which is a minor deal)
Both '03 and '04s MAY be prone to ECU flash issues IF modded.
'05 - early ones still had the comand issue (again not a biggy relatively speaking). BUT, they also had the steering rack from the CLS, which is 10% tighter and makes a nice difference.
'06 - early ones had the comand issues resolved. Late '06 (actually built in 06) have the full on CLS airmatic, etc to compliment the rack.

Keep in mind that MB phases parts in and out, so there no drop date for implementation of changes to vendor components. You can get that info from the VIN if it is something that you care about. I did care, as I wanted the best handling E55 I could get.

One positive note for the '03s. The older the model, the faster the car is the consensus. Prices have plummetted lately, so you may want to shop around before you decide.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:38 PM

I got an 03 about two weeks ago and I noticed right away that there was something wrong with the intercooler pump because of the loss of power after hammering on it several times in a row. I also had the front airmatic shock die on me as well. The car had 35k and I still have warranty. MB came and picked the car up with a flatbed within one hour, gave me a loaner, and had her back in two days. Runs like a champ now and couldn't be happier. The two things that happened to me are not 03 specific, they are pretty much the whole 55 line. I just suggest that if you want to save money like I did, find an 03 that still has warranty.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by David Joor
I got an 03 about two weeks ago and I noticed right away that there was something wrong with the intercooler pump because of the loss of power after hammering on it several times in a row. I also had the front airmatic shock die on me as well. The car had 35k and I still have warranty. MB came and picked the car up with a flatbed within one hour, gave me a loaner, and had her back in two days. Runs like a champ now and couldn't be happier. The two things that happened to me are not 03 specific, they are pretty much the whole 55 line. I just suggest that if you want to save money like I did, find an 03 that still has warranty.
Agreed. If you get an E55K, I would recommend one with a warranty, regardless of the year.

I would disagree with the '03 specific part, though. The intercooler pump, pulley clutch, SBC, etc. have all been upgraded on newer models ('05 and '06s mainly) for a reason. You would be amazed at how many part numbers are different.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Banned

German
So.... late 06 would be the best year to buy a E55K ?

Originally Posted by jangy

There is a difference between almost all model years. You may want to research my posts, to see that I am somewhat biased but I definitely recommend sucking it up and getting a newer model.
'04 - for early models, see above. For later models, only the comand electronics (which is a minor deal)
'05 - early ones still had the comand issue (again not a biggy relatively speaking). BUT, they also had the steering rack from the CLS, which is 10% tighter and makes a nice difference.
'06 - early ones had the comand issues resolved. Late '06 (actually built in 06) have the full on CLS airmatic, etc to compliment the rack.

Keep in mind that MB phases parts in and out, so there no drop date for implementation of changes to vendor components. You can get that info from the VIN if it is something that you care about. I did care, as I wanted the best handling E55 I could get.

One positive note for the '03s. The older the model, the faster the car is the consensus. Prices have plummetted lately, so you may want to shop around before you decide.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by //AMG KING
So.... late 06 would be the best year to buy a E55K ?

Basically.

Trending Topics

Old 09-26-2006, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with this...

thank GOD i have extended warranty warranty to 2010 and the CPO is good for 2008.

I don't mind the issues, as long as you get a nice loaner and it gets fixed.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I would have bought an 03 if it had the right options I wanted,but never found the right car.Find one that is CPOed and a good price,buy it!
Old 09-26-2006, 01:52 AM

AMGs
Any suggestions on where to find good priced CPO's? I live in Orange County, but am open to buying pretty much anywhere hahaa

Also thank you all for your feedback!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by DBrasco
Any suggestions on where to find good priced CPO's? I live in Orange County, but am open to buying pretty much anywhere hahaa

Also thank you all for your feedback!
Contact Vadim at MB Laguna Niguel. He will get you into the car you want for sure.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:23 PM

03 E55
FWIW, I have a loaded '03 and a not so loaded '04. The '04 has been to the shop many many more times....
Old 09-26-2006, 11:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Why not look on MBUSA site? They have inventory of used rides on there and it shows if CPO.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:41 AM

My E55 is also a salvage title!!! The origanal owner had it for 1009 miles and then decided to flip the car over and ride on the roof for a bit. Still the only issue has been the Valve body. It now has 23,000 miles on it. I want to do that APS pulley upgrade!!!

Gus//
Old 09-28-2006, 01:51 AM

AMGs
Exclamation

So does this mean that the 03's don't have the capabilty to drop as low as the 06's with a lowering module???