'03 E55 Estate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E55 Estate

Hi all,

1st post here :-)

Picked up my new to me, '03 E55 on Friday, having spent some time here reading up on posts which were generally encouraging and very helpful - thanks to all.

'Fraid I can't post pics easily (I'm from the Stoneage...) but it's finished in Obesion? black with black interior and seemingly standard UK spec, no sunroof, but has got keyless go which is a boon.

One of the reasons I chose the car was because, as reasonably quick cars go, it is the definitive Q-car which doesn't SHOUT "I've a need for speed, now GET OUT OF MY WAY".

My last quick car was a standard 911 (993TT), the E55 feels at least as quick in a straight line from 80-140mph, which really surprised me, but a sports/sporting car it certainly ain't, and is frustratingly floored.

The engine is a riot, but the steering at higher speeds (nil feel, too light and wobbles slightly) brakes (nil feel, but at least they do work well) and lack of traction (impossible to put the power down thu' 2 rear wheels) very, very quickly betray the fact that this fast Mercedes is derived from a family car with little real sports/racing car experience that has trickled down to the E55 which is a shame, because the suspension seems sorted, and I expected better.

I haven't driven the E63 yet, but I can now well understand why traction and not just the largest torque figure is such an issue with this amount of torque/bhp and the lack of 4 wheel drive. Incidentally Merc/amg will de-restrict the car to max 186mph, for fourty pieces of silver...

Nontheless, as a package (for my needs, being a pot-bellied, grey & balding middle aged family man with an extremely speed sensitive wife who acts as a co-pilot on even the shortest trip... and a 10 year old) this "family estate car" was a good choice - you can't have everything - or can you?

Enjoy

4real