W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** SLR Intercooler Project ***

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
"Anyone know what a stock E55 flows in cfm? A k2? A larger pulley? And at what psi, etc... can someone post a schematic (sp?) of the whole intercooler piping / system?"

Link to intercooler system schematic:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....36&postcount=7
Old 09-28-2006, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
Originally Posted by MACHC5
"Anyone know what a stock E55 flows in cfm? A k2? A larger pulley? And at what psi, etc... can someone post a schematic (sp?) of the whole intercooler piping / system?"

Link to intercooler system schematic:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....36&postcount=7
awesome, thanks...

next question... can we / has anyone put water wetter in this system? Sorry if its a dumb question, just curious...
Old 09-29-2006, 02:19 AM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
I'm interested if it will fit the CLS55. Renntech is currently offering SLR-type intercoolers (i.e. stage 6 for 55K), but cost with install is over $15k. No thanks. HP gains are very significant though.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:26 AM

05 E55
Originally Posted by ekovalsky
I'm interested if it will fit the CLS55. Renntech is currently offering SLR-type intercoolers (i.e. stage 6 for 55K), but cost with install is over $15k. No thanks. HP gains are very significant though.
that is fascinating... any link to this online?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:29 AM

06 E55 SOLD, 89 300 SE 375,000 miles
Originally Posted by Loren
that is fascinating... any link to this online?
Loren try this link.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../FREE/60428005
Old 09-29-2006, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL350

RENNtech offers an IC upgrade for your CLS for about $2900. I think it is a improved pump, hoses, lines, and heat exchanger.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:09 PM

06 E55 SOLD, 89 300 SE 375,000 miles
All This Turbo Talk

With all this turbo talk, Is the intercooler project dead in the water?
Old 09-29-2006, 11:23 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Nope.. All oars in the water at the same time.. Different people are working on different things.

Intercooler upgrade will be a requirement for TT Stage 2 so the solution needs to be found now.

Originally Posted by medici78
vrus, I'm assuming this would be taking priority over the TT idea, correct?
CL/E/SL.. Doesnt matter as long as they all end in 55..

Originally Posted by Bux
what if i have a CL55
Yup.. We need some innovative thinking and I think I may have found something. Believe it or not I've come across something which provides a 0 or close to 0 pressure loss and is compact and VERY efficient.

Originally Posted by Loren
ok, question from the back row... can't we get someone like Turbonetics or Spearco or some other place to merely improve our existing setup... or completely redesign it? I was told today it is entirely possible, so I want to see what you guys thought about it...

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/ic_liquidtoair.htm

really interesting, check out the "Liquid to Air Barrel Intercoolers". Don't know where we'd cram them, but what an addition they would be.

http://www.pwr.com.au/pwr/index.asp

???
Everything I work on I start off by trying to make it universal for all the 55 cars. The S/C & intercooler in ALL the 55 cars is identical so it will fit.

NO. We are going to need something to help cool this beast down when we are shoving 20psi of boost down its throat and trying to push 800rwhp to the ground.

Originally Posted by mbamg06e55
With all this turbo talk, Is the intercooler project dead in the water?
Old 09-30-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up More Boost......

G'day Guys,

Yep very interesting stuff here... I've been working on this project part time for a few weeks now. I was going to shut my mouth until it was actually finished because I though no one would be interested. Well I'm obviously wrong...

Research to date...

Apparently not all Air to water intercoolers are the same internally. So my initial thinking was to copy the SLR dimensions and whack it in... Presto! "No"... The actual core specifications vary substantially. Of course this all depends on application specifications.

To cut a long story short... I have found an expert in all aspects of fabrication and inter-cooling "Richard Anderson" who I call the guru... a highly analytical individual and knows "everything" on the subject.

Check out the link to his shop if you have a spare few hours to digest the contents: http://www.are.com.au/index.htm

Anyway after chatting with Richard for an hour or so with all the 55's wants and needs, he requested more info regarding the coolers so he can work out the best solution.

All the relevant info has been submitted including photos from the SLR donk setup in an E55 from Dubai, a shot of a bare unfinished SLR cooler and those awesome SLR donk shots from fellow member Siswati "You Champ!"

Unfortunately his shop is about 1120 miles away so I can't leave the car with him to speed things up. I'll be sending Richard a forced inlet manifold set so he can match the mounting points and CNC a set of boss plates or whatever his going to make to build IT up from there. I will finance & guinea pig all the R&D until the project is completed.

This may involve sending the coolers back and forth until they fit and work perfectly. Cosmetics will be second priority to function. Finishing will be with "Jet Hot Coatings" See link: http://www.jet-hot.com.au Any suggestions which coating to use?

I would highly appreciate any input you guys may have to help improve the project. After all a set may end up under your bonnet.

While I'm on this subject, who can source a cheep set of inlet manifolds... the ones from the head to the supercharger out manifold? All MB stealerships in Australia are legal crooks. It's cheeper for me to source all MB parts from abroad. I'm not a tight ****... just hate being ripped off!

Please keep in mind that the Ausi dollar is **** week against the USD. I don't know about the CA dollar or any where else... anyway at the end of the day it's going to cost you guys bugger all compared to the figures being throwing around.

If all goes well of course and pending other options available at the time, you can purchase the final kit at "cost" directly from A.R.E or we can most likely do a gang bang purchase to further reduce costs. I'm more than happy to coordinate. Please advise when ready.

Quote Victor: "Stock inter-cooler system is very inefficient. We lose 4 psi of boost through the intercoolers.. Stock S/C pumps 11.6psi.. Our motor only sees 6.6psi - 7.6psi of that"

Is that with or with out the pulley upgrade?

Get my drift...

Here is a list of mods that will be done over the next few months:

Pulley wrap kit.
Installation of Victors T/B kit.
of course the Inter-cooler upgrade.
SLR cams (Pending further investigation)
May port and open the exhaust pending final top end report.

I think that will do for now... So what do you reckon fellers?
Old 09-30-2006, 04:47 PM

03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up Other interesting products

Almost forgot... Check out "Curved oil cooler" and the "Dry Ice Cooler"

The ice cooler is on the request list...

Link: http://www.are.com.au/index.htm

Cheers...
Old 09-30-2006, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by vrus
- Stock intercooler system is very inefficient. We lose 4 psi of boost through the intercoolers.. Stock S/C pumps 11.6psi.. Our motor only sees 6.6psi - 7.6psi of that.

- The SLR system only has 1psi of pressure loss. This means the minute you bolt this thing on, you will see +3psi of boost and will get 50hp - 70hp (this information has come from several reliable sources who can confirm what I am saying).
Victor, I missed this the first time i read the thread. I don't think the information they gave you is correct. The factory map sensor is located on the outlet neck of the ic core. It's actually reads just ahead of the iat sensor. My map sensor would read 14 to 15 psi before the headers and 12 to 13 after the headers. So our engines are seeing more then 6.6 or 7.6 pounds of boost.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:57 PM

03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by rflow306
Victor, I missed this the first time i read the thread. I don't think the information they gave you is correct. The factory map sensor is located on the outlet neck of the ic core. It's actually reads just ahead of the iat sensor. My map sensor would read 14 to 15 psi before the headers and 12 to 13 after the headers. So our engines are seeing more then 6.6 or 7.6 pounds of boost.
Just curious, was this information gathered whilst the engine was under full load? At what RPM?

My understanding is that the stock inter-cooler pressure resistance is exponential to RPM...? This may explain the above reading at low RPM.

So what would be the reasoning be behind SLR type coolers compared to stock?

"They" are the motor engineers from AMG according to previous posts...?

Can anyone verify the above?

Last edited by Finny; 09-30-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Finny
Just curious, was this information gathered whilst the engine was under full load? At what RPM?

My understanding is that the stock inter-cooler pressure resistance is exponential to RPM...? This may explain the above reading at low RPM.

So what would be the reasoning be behind SLR type coolers compared to stock?

"They" are the motor engineers from AMG according to previous posts...?

Can anyone verify the above?
Finny this was at wot. The boost numbers mentioned above were with the asp pulley. In stock form the car would make 10-12 pounds of boost.

One of the biggest advantages of the slr type inter-coolers is the increase in core size. They are superior in controlling IAT's than our stock set-up with out a doubt. I just don't see the stock e55 core restricting 3-4 pounds of boost. I'm posting an actual boost graph from a dyno run below. These readings are from the data-logger.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hey Finny,

Sounds like you are making some progress and the guys at ARE seem to have some great products.. Spent some time going through their website yesterday.

I'll post any info I find on the Intercooler project into this thread and you do the same.. This way we can keep eachother updated on what is happening.. Maybe we can combine the best of all the research into the final product.

I already ordered a second set of Intake Manifolds and they are currently at ExtrudeHone.. When I get them back I am going to get them heat coated.. Once I put them on my car I can pull my intake manifolds off and sell you those if you want. The intake manifolds were a special order from Germany.. $360 for the left side and $460 for the right side (dont ask me why they charge more for the right side.. I was puzzled also).. Email me and we can work out a price for my manifolds and I'll ship them to you.

Originally Posted by Finny
G'day Guys,

Yep very interesting stuff here... I've been working on this project part time for a few weeks now. I was going to shut my mouth until it was actually finished because I though no one would be interested. Well I'm obviously wrong...

Research to date...

Apparently not all Air to water intercoolers are the same internally. So my initial thinking was to copy the SLR dimensions and whack it in... Presto! "No"... The actual core specifications vary substantially. Of course this all depends on application specifications.

To cut a long story short... I have found an expert in all aspects of fabrication and inter-cooling "Richard Anderson" who I call the guru... a highly analytical individual and knows "everything" on the subject.

Check out the link to his shop if you have a spare few hours to digest the contents: http://www.are.com.au/index.htm

Anyway after chatting with Richard for an hour or so with all the 55's wants and needs, he requested more info regarding the coolers so he can work out the best solution.

All the relevant info has been submitted including photos from the SLR donk setup in an E55 from Dubai, a shot of a bare unfinished SLR cooler and those awesome SLR donk shots from fellow member Siswati "You Champ!"

Unfortunately his shop is about 1120 miles away so I can't leave the car with him to speed things up. I'll be sending Richard a forced inlet manifold set so he can match the mounting points and CNC a set of boss plates or whatever his going to make to build IT up from there. I will finance & guinea pig all the R&D until the project is completed.

This may involve sending the coolers back and forth until they fit and work perfectly. Cosmetics will be second priority to function. Finishing will be with "Jet Hot Coatings" See link: http://www.jet-hot.com.au Any suggestions which coating to use?

I would highly appreciate any input you guys may have to help improve the project. After all a set may end up under your bonnet.

While I'm on this subject, who can source a cheep set of inlet manifolds... the ones from the head to the supercharger out manifold? All MB stealerships in Australia are legal crooks. It's cheeper for me to source all MB parts from abroad. I'm not a tight ****... just hate being ripped off!

Please keep in mind that the Ausi dollar is **** week against the USD. I don't know about the CA dollar or any where else... anyway at the end of the day it's going to cost you guys bugger all compared to the figures being throwing around.

If all goes well of course and pending other options available at the time, you can purchase the final kit at "cost" directly from A.R.E or we can most likely do a gang bang purchase to further reduce costs. I'm more than happy to coordinate. Please advise when ready.

Quote Victor: "Stock inter-cooler system is very inefficient. We lose 4 psi of boost through the intercoolers.. Stock S/C pumps 11.6psi.. Our motor only sees 6.6psi - 7.6psi of that"

Is that with or with out the pulley upgrade?

Get my drift...

Here is a list of mods that will be done over the next few months:

Pulley wrap kit.
Installation of Victors T/B kit.
of course the Inter-cooler upgrade.
SLR cams (Pending further investigation)
May port and open the exhaust pending final top end report.

I think that will do for now... So what do you reckon fellers?
Old 10-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Albert,

The MAP sensor reads post compressor and post intercooler. The IAT sensor is on the outlet side of the intercooler neck. I know that both Kleemann & Evosport have mentioned this same boost loss information. The only way to verify this 100% is to put a sensor just before & just after the intercooler and take measurements.

I have not tested it myself but I assumed the information I was getting is correct.

I am not sure how you are seeing 12psi after the headers..

Originally Posted by rflow306

Old 10-01-2006, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by vrus
Albert,

The MAP sensor reads post compressor and post intercooler. The IAT sensor is on the outlet side of the intercooler neck. I know that both Kleemann & Evosport have mentioned this same boost loss information. The only way to verify this 100% is to put a sensor just before & just after the intercooler and take measurements.

I have not tested it myself but I assumed the information I was getting is correct.

I am not sure how you are seeing 12psi after the headers..
Yeah, I have heard evo talk about the pressure drop. So that would mean the blower is putting out 14 to 15 pounds pre inter-cooler in stock form.

With just the asp pulley the boost would typically spike above 15 pounds and average 14 pounds during a run. After the header and primary cat removal the boost would spike to 13.5 and average around 12.

As far as the inter-cooler goes my plan is to install a large reservoir in the trunk with full circulation. That way for track days i can add ice. The more people we have trying different things the better.

PS: Did you call on friday ?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:48 PM
SPONSOR

i don't know if you guys are still working on this, but in the current issue of Modified Luxury and Exotics, there is a Renntech SL55 that has custom SLR-style intercoolers done by Dyno-Comp in Scottsdale, Arizona...

it may be a more cost effective option if you guys are still wanting to do this upgrade...just food for thought...
Old 01-05-2007, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
i don't know if you guys are still working on this, but in the current issue of Modified Luxury and Exotics, there is a Renntech SL55 that has custom SLR-style intercoolers done by Dyno-Comp in Scottsdale, Arizona...

it may be a more cost effective option if you guys are still wanting to do this upgrade...just food for thought...
what magazine is that bro? do you have a link or something? thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
what magazine is that bro? do you have a link or something? thanks
http://www.modifiedle.com/
Old 01-05-2007, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
That thing costs an arm and a leg plus your first new born though. We're talking about 16K of dough per a previous thread.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
That is Ray Durham's SL 55 , first SL to have the Renntech SLR intercooler setup. He also owns a Renntech ART GTR CLS 55.

These are couple of close up pictures.

Thank you Ray!
Attached Thumbnails *** SLR Intercooler Project ***-hood_01.jpg   *** SLR Intercooler Project ***-hood_02.jpg   *** SLR Intercooler Project ***-hood_03.jpg  
Old 01-05-2007, 05:25 PM

that hood scoop is hideous. They need to go back to the drawing board on that thing
Old 01-05-2007, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
WTF is that? A bird's beak!?

[edit] just noticed that on MLE that the car does not have that black CF bird's beak piece [/edit]

Last edited by Kev04C320; 01-05-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
WTF is that? A bird's beak!?
I don't know... it kind of reminds me of something most women have...
Old 01-05-2007, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Originally Posted by MACHC5
I don't know... it kind of reminds me something most women have...
You probably have more visual imagination than I do

Can't really figure out what you're talking about?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** SLR Intercooler Project ***