Sponsored by:

Running at Milan Dragway tonight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E63
Running at Milan Dragway tonight

Hello all! I don't post too much here but read regularly. I've had my '03 E55 for over a year now and tonight will be the first time I've had an opportunity to take it to the track. To top it all off, it has been 19 years since I've run a car down a track so I'm thoroughly excited. Tough to sit at my desk knowing I'm going this afternoon. Lots of great info on this forum, but I also enjoy reading those of us just posting about how much we love our cars, so I thought I'd put one up. Mine has 16,000 miles and is bone stock. If I don't embarass myself too badly, I'll post my times here and at dragtimes. I have a huge smile on my face every time I go for a ride and I'm hoping that I'll be looking like "the Joker" about 5:00 tonight! My car's never been flashed, so I'm hoping for a low 12. I'll let everyone know how I do! Thanks to all.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
I haven't run my car yet either but I haven't had it long. I have read a lot on the forum from old posts. In case you haven't, I have seen 22 lbs of pressure in rear tires reccommended for street tires. Some people also run in dyno mode, others just leave the traction control on. You might do a search as there is quite a bit of info on the forum on launch technique which can help your times. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:19 PM

grocery getter
Ugh. ohhh.... here comes the rain.

Next time you go let me know and I will go out there with you....maybe we can get a meet together for late October?
Old 09-29-2006, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Good luck tonight. Everyone stomps it from adrenaline first run so don't worry, but after that try to work on that launch technique of quickly pressing down to full throttle without stomping it and you'll destroy them up there.

Happens everytime, people will snicker when you pull up to the line, then circle your car and begin to worship after the run. It's a blast.

Some things to experiment with if you want.

Tire pressure. Try in the 20's rear, like 25.

Derek FSU swears by leaving (or beginning the whole process) on the last yellow and for the E55 it works like a charm. You think you are gonna red light but I cut a killer light with it. If you red light, who cares....red lights only count in bracket racing and bragging rights. Does not affect time at all.

KEEP IT COOL. Pop the hood when possible and let the aluminum get some air. It helps a tick.

You can mess with ESP but honestly some of the fastest times on stockers we have is just leaving it alone, work on your launch and let AMG work it's magic.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:52 PM

2014 GL 350 on order
AMG Crazy: wish you would have told me earlier as I would have joined you in a minute! My beast is at Motorwerks til next week getting my V1 etching done and still trying to have the fine folks at Kleemann attempting to get my 'Classic K2' power back (as in pre-air pump recall).
Give me another chance and maybe we can get the whole southeastern MI AMG crowd together for a "test n' tune" nite at Milan before they close for the winter-Joker
Old 09-30-2006, 09:37 AM

2008 E63
Well guys, I was not disappointed! Believe it or not I got my best run on my very first stab. ESP on - a little feather and go! 12.31 @ 114! After that I tried ESP off. Bogged the first one 12.55. Did well the second one 12.38. After that all 12.50's with wheelspin and one 13.07 smoky all the way through first. The timeslip guy kept asking me "is that thing really stock?"

I'll be putting the timeslip on dragtimes.com. I may go again before the season is out, so I'll let you guys know if I'm going.

The problem now is I have the bug. Now it will never end. I have every intention of calling Cory next week and starting the discussion about what I can do before sending the car to them next fall. All of this started with me arguing with my brother and brother-in-law about how unimpressed I was with the Z06!!! Now I won't stop until I can crush one.

Let the modding begin!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Incredible times!!! Just incredible!!!

Outstanding job! You still got it.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:10 AM

2008 E63
Thanks Jak,

I forgot to mention that on the 12.31 run I had a 1.87 60'! That shocked me on the Conti-rocks! I've spent the morning trying to figure out what I'm going to do for tires next spring.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:33 AM

06 Merc E55, 996TT
We should have a meet and track day im free except for the weekends... Id love to meet you guys! I take my car to motorwerks too! small world.. We should organize a track day before they close... let me know fellas im in!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:10 PM

2014 GL 350 on order
Michigan AMG Owners: a group event sounds great! AMGCrazy, those times were xtrodinary! For comparison here are my most recent times at Milan with the pertinent details: S mode, esp off, comfort setting on suspension, half tank of fuel, BFG DR at 16 psi hot, front tires at 45 psi, weak burnout in the box. 1.80 60', 12.1 at 114 trapspeed. Although that doesn't sound bad I must mention that she has K2 Kleemann setup with LSD. IMHO this reflects how the recent ECU issues are very pertinent regarding loss of power. AMGCrazy I was turning times like you were prior to that air pump recall. I had 12.3 times on stock tires with 118 trapspeed immediately after my K@ setup in January 2006.
This is why Cory has my ECU for the 3rd time trying to regain the missing 40 to 50 hp. Current theory is that load limiting code in the trans software is the demon. He also has a members 2006 CLS%% in his Colorado shop as well. Keep your fingers crossed-JOker
Old 09-30-2006, 03:09 PM

06 Merc E55, 996TT
when does milan close??? We should def get set a date before they close!