W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 03 E55 with no warranty, Too Risky?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Considering a 55K motor costs as much as they were asking for the car, you made the right choice.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
If warranty is so important and there is a risk of voiding the motor and drivetrain warranty with mods, then why are at least half the people on this board modding their cars?
Old 11-06-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
I think you can do much better than that.

A few weeks ago I traded in my E320 CDI on a '04 E55. I bought it from a MB dealership with an extended CPO warranty for 100,000 miles and good until sometime in 2011.

Here's the breakdown (not 100%, since I'm not looking at the papers)

'04 E55 w/39,000 miles Loaded except Distronic & Keyless go
remainder of factory warranty (May '08) + 1yr CPO warranty

$49,000

Additional 2 yrs MB warranty (not aftermarket) appx. $4,500

So, I'm in a car 1 yr newer, with 29,000 miles less and a MB warranty for another 3.5 years for 11k more. I'm pretty happy with the deal. As far as the cars being maintenance nightmares... not really, but anything with forced induction is susceptible higher than normal wear, not to mention typically more aggressive driving habits than normal.

It's largely the fact that if you do anything with a MB dealer that isn't covered under warranty, they gouge you like no other. It's just the nature of European luxury cars; hell oil changes run $200+, what do you think they'll bang you for on a supercharger?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Do NOT buy any AMG (or Mercedes for that matter) without warranty

Over the last 3 years, my local Mercedes dealership charged Mercedes Benz over $40,000 dollars of repairs on my brother's CL500... Thank God it was all covered under warranty So many things can go wrong with these vehicles: navigation system replaced ($4,000), sun-roof, electronic seats, tranny, etc.... I know the E-Class parts are a bit cheaper, but trust me, I think the minimum hit on an AMG will probably be $2,000 per visit to the dealership.....

Make sure you are covered under some type of warranty or you'll be taking a huge risk.

Good luck........
Old 11-06-2007, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by waxking1
If warranty is so important and there is a risk of voiding the motor and drivetrain warranty with mods, then why are at least half the people on this board modding their cars?
We can afford it.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Here is what I think.

Warranty is a very good thing to have yes. Can you live with out it, might be scary yes, but pretty much doable.

Looking at car history the newer the model the more things it has fixed from mb as it is made.

But to say owning that car over so many miles is bad is some what not true, what proof do you have that if the car is owned over so many miles it will die?

please do not take what i am going to say in a bad way.

From what I understand American cars are designed to last 2-3 years then get replaced. That is how your market works. Things are not built to last; they are built to be used then chucked away. Therefore it is natural for all the American owners to assume that a car with so many miles is bad. and you can not deny this because you are all used to it, leasing replacing etc.
This is not the case in Europe and European cars. Yes they have their fair share of reliability issues, but they are built to last a bit and be driven for thousands of km.

How many SC have broken? or for that mater how many engines?
Look at all the 03 highly moded e55 voiding their warranty, look at all the 05-06 out there to.

So long as the car has been taken care of and has been serviced at the dealer, then I feel if price is ok why not (this is ofc after you have done your research on the car). If all checks out, you are paying little for something good, hope it turns out to be a catch for you

Edit: funny after writing this, i watched the Jeremy Clarkson visit DVD to the US to compare cars and he said something similar about car usage
Old 11-07-2007, 03:43 AM

CL65
I don't think I've seen anyone on this board with a transmission failure. I'm sure someone has had one but if you go to the BMW M5 board, it seems like every other SMG is having transmission problems.

Also I havent seen much with engine problems on the E55 either. I see the belt chirp and ic pump and some other small stuff(small can still be fairly expensive), but I don't think I've seen anyone blow their engine. I haven't even seen anyone mention a blown head gasket.

Seems like most of the problems are with air suspension or comand related or electrical problems.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:01 AM
kip

E55
Just dont buy it...
Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 AM

something to consider

I think you can do quite a bit better price wise. This past June I was able to purchase
an 03 E55 with NO issues, 15,500 miles, cosmetically perfect, with authentic 2006 SL65 rims on it for $46,500 [from an Audi dealership, of all places]. It was out of warranty by less than a month. I picked up a bumper-to-bumper, zero deductible warranty directly from a company I trust for $2300 more.

I'm guessing the SL65 rims were worth at least 3K, so I probably got the car for $43,500. Shouldn't you be entitled to at least a $5K deduction for those extra miles? I'd shoot for $38K if I were you...

Best of luck!

TulaneLaw
Old 11-07-2007, 12:29 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Guys...the thread is over a year old.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:16 PM

My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
i know...
by next year, these E55's will show up at the salvation army since they are worthless without waranty
Old 11-07-2007, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Zod
Here is what I think.

Warranty is a very good thing to have yes. Can you live with out it, might be scary yes, but pretty much doable.

Looking at car history the newer the model the more things it has fixed from mb as it is made.

But to say owning that car over so many miles is bad is some what not true, what proof do you have that if the car is owned over so many miles it will die?

please do not take what i am going to say in a bad way.

From what I understand American cars are designed to last 2-3 years then get replaced. That is how your market works. Things are not built to last; they are built to be used then chucked away. Therefore it is natural for all the American owners to assume that a car with so many miles is bad. and you can not deny this because you are all used to it, leasing replacing etc.
This is not the case in Europe and European cars. Yes they have their fair share of reliability issues, but they are built to last a bit and be driven for thousands of km.

How many SC have broken? or for that mater how many engines?
Look at all the 03 highly moded e55 voiding their warranty, look at all the 05-06 out there to.

So long as the car has been taken care of and has been serviced at the dealer, then I feel if price is ok why not (this is ofc after you have done your research on the car). If all checks out, you are paying little for something good, hope it turns out to be a catch for you

Edit: funny after writing this, i watched the Jeremy Clarkson visit DVD to the US to compare cars and he said something similar about car usage
I agree with you that the german engines are strong and built to take more abuse, but the normal Mercedes engines are built to last a lot longer than an AMG engine. The AMG engine is a lot more stressed and was designed in a way to be able to squeeze a lot of hp out of it. Moreover, I've seen people here on this board change their supercharger at very low mileages. I've even seen some change transmission due to contamination and other leaks (mainly on C32s), but thankfully most was done under warranty. Anyways, I still do think that AMG engines should easily last to 150k before major problems start to show.

As for the electronic items and even the "minor" mechanical issues, they can be fairly expensive to fix. Considering an extended warranty may only cost you 2k to 3k, it can definately pay for itself in one or two visits to the dealership easily. Now if you plan to keep the car for 3 to 4 years, then you could end up spending over 10k for fixing things at the dealer (and maybe half of that amount if you fix it at independent mechanics). I've given you my personal example, which is obviously worst case senario, but even a 1/4 of that amount is still way too much. Mercedes cars are expensive: they have expensive parts, expensive maintenance, expensive labor (if fixed at their dealerships), even expensive insurance......... Many of these expenses can be eliminated if you stay covered under warranty, let them pay for it......

When buying a Mercedes, invest the extra 2k to 3k for extended warranty. One service manager once told me: if you can't afford the extra warranty, don't buy the car. Better to wait for a cheaper one that is affordable after warranty is added.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Banned

German
I wouldnt risk it....... CPO.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Don't be an idiot...
Old 11-08-2007, 04:39 AM

2005 C230KSS 6spd
Originally Posted by 4npower
forgive my ignorance, but what is a "SBC" or what does it stand for?
i agree, what the hell is SBC

supercharger bearing clutch?
Old 11-08-2007, 08:42 AM

CL65
Originally Posted by charl1exbr0wn
i agree, what the hell is SBC

supercharger bearing clutch?
Sensonic Brake Control (SBC)
"brake by wire"
Old 11-08-2007, 12:18 PM

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by Zod

Holy crap. Are you really that ignorant? Would it be natural for all Americans to assume that? I have a 1995 Ford F250 that has over 114,000 miles. It has zero rust, has given me zero problems and still retains almost 25% of it's original value even after almost 13 years. The thing is a beast at hauling dirt, rock and anything else you want to chuck at it. Trust me, my experiences are NOT unique. Is that considered disposable?

On another, less irritating note, do the MB CPO warranties cover all the same parts of the car that the "regular" warranty covers? Even though I'm still pretty sure I want a new C63, I have toyed with the idea of getting an '04/'05 E55 and driving it for 1.5-2 years. Just in case a DSG transmission comes out for the C63

Last edited by SeattleBum; 11-08-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:18 PM

'03 E55
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
And that would qualify me for the "King Dip*****" award, as I PM'ed him the other day about buying mine. I saw that he started the thread on 10-16, just didn't notice that last little -2006 part. Wonder why he didn't reply?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
lol....