Alternative Pulley Mod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Alternative Pulley Mod?

Been wondering if its possible to fit an outer ring to the existing stock crank pulley.

Now kleeman and co remove the existing ring and fit a new one ...

How about bolting a new outer ring over the the existing ring ... similar to how the ends of a con rod bolts on. So you effectively have two semi circles of a ring clamping onto the existing 100% unmmodded stock crank pulley.

This will allow much more quick install removal and toying with different size add ons.

I assume the bolts to clamp will be internal type allen key nuts which will have suffcient clearance not to interfere with the belt grooves.

Any thots ? Am I nuts ?
Old 10-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
No, you are not nuts!

Kleemann used to sell clamp on ring on their 2.3L Kompressor engine. There were some issues and they discontinued that design.

I do not think that would work on AMG kompressors. If they were problems with clamp on ring spinning 1L kompressor on 2.3L, it will definitely be a problem spinning 2.3L kompressor on 5.5L engine.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:37 PM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
2019 GLC 63, 2020 C43 coupe
what i don't understand, is that these cars have been out for years and the cheapest pulley we can get is $800 to get what 2-3psi. the ford guys can get a complete interchangeable pulley system like the one here http://lightningforceperformance.com...roducts_id=527 and you can choose what pound pulley you want from 2-8psi. when i had my 03' cobra and lightning, i could swap out pulleys at the track in less then 20 minutes and gain how ever many psi i chose.
also why can't we just get rid of the clutch assembly on the blower and put a standard smaller, non-clutch operated, pulley on it. i know the clutch assembly gets us better gas mileage, but who the f**k cares if we get 12 mpg. of course the trade off would be that with a smaller blower pulley, it would slip more but that is a easy fix.
just thinking.........