Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 06:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55
Originally Posted by chem0
Im in Australia,

Did any of you guys get that SBC recall done? (back in 05' i think?)
Our 55 is in at the moment doing the recall that should have been done back then (service dep. didnt even contact us. my sales guy asked me like 5months down the track).
What is to be done in this recall? (they ordered like heaps of parts for it)
Anyone else in AUS had it done? OzE55? Rafal?

Mine was done Sept. 2005.
I found the paper work (service maesure 374/99/A). It said there were two problems A. .....vibrations may affect the connector for the SBC unit. B..... Errors in manufacturing may affect certain internal components.
I dont recall it requiring lots of parts. I think they had the car for a day.
Cheers.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by vixapphire
that new 3-series 335 coupe from bmw is very attractive. i've seen a few of them now on the road, and notwithstanding that the front looks vaguely like a 5-series and the rear looks vaguely like a 7-series, the car in its entirety comes off as the first thing that gives the bangle movement any hint of credibility (well, the second, after the new MB S-class!). the twin-turbo 335 coupe is a beautiful car with great lines and fantastic proportions. supposed to be a pretty solid fun driver, too. if that's the case, i wonder what the M3 will add?
The front of the 335 looks nice but from the rear I thought it was a new Honda! The rear light treatment is out of keeping in what is otherwise a good looking car.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:32 AM

06 CLS55 AMG & 08 CL65 Mystic White
Got my letter in the mail for the CLS55-so I guess they are sending it out for the CLS also
Old 11-22-2006, 01:31 PM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
I envy you guys who bought brand new. I'm pushing 35k miles on my used 2005 E55 and would pay whatever they are asking for a 10 year unlimited mileage warranty! ARGH! Anyone have good experience with an aftermarket warranty that might offer me a similar plan?

I'm stressing the idea of owning her without warranty. Seems like $3-5k well spent to me, just for the peace of mind alone!

Thanks,

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 11-22-2006 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-25-2006, 08:47 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by OzE55
Mine was done Sept. 2005.
I found the paper work (service maesure 374/99/A). It said there were two problems A. .....vibrations may affect the connector for the SBC unit. B..... Errors in manufacturing may affect certain internal components.
I dont recall it requiring lots of parts. I think they had the car for a day.
Cheers.
Do us Aussies get a 10 year warrenty? We havent got anything from MB in AGESSSSSS.. we dont even get invites to the events anymore!!
Old 11-25-2006, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
i just got an extended warranty to 100k and 5 more years. it was NOT cheap. $4500. my car is at mb now as i got a "display malfunction"

My turn signals, gas gauge are not working. I can only imagine how much these electronic gremlins will cost without a warranty. I think I could break even on electronic faliures alone.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:10 PM

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
I recently got a sticker in the mail from MBZ stating that the SBC system has 10 year unlimited miles warranty as of now. Anyone got the same letter?
Yes I received this letter yesterday. Hopefuly, we will not need to use the extended warranty. It is nice to see that when Benz see's a potential problem that they are proactive in providing a solution. Very nice.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by Skeeter
I envy you guys who bought brand new. I'm pushing 35k miles on my used 2005 E55 and would pay whatever they are asking for a 10 year unlimited mileage warranty! ARGH! Anyone have good experience with an aftermarket warranty that might offer me a similar plan?

I'm stressing the idea of owning her without warranty. Seems like $3-5k well spent to me, just for the peace of mind alone!

Thanks,

Skeeter
according to the letter MB sent out, the warranty extension on the SBC pump applies regardless of ownership, so I'm guessing you needn't worry.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by e55 baller
i just got an extended warranty to 100k and 5 more years. it was NOT cheap. $4500. my car is at mb now as i got a "display malfunction"

My turn signals, gas gauge are not working. I can only imagine how much these electronic gremlins will cost without a warranty. I think I could break even on electronic faliures alone.
Baller,
at what point did you buy the extended warranty (miles/years since purchase)? Does that affect the price in any way or is it $4500 regardless, since it tacks on the end of the mfr's warranty?

Also, I would appreciate if you would ask your service dept. guys that are doing the repair when you pick it up how much it would've cost (parts and labor separately quoted) had the warranty not covered the repair, and let us all know. When I owned a 98 Volvo V70 T-5 near the end of its warranty, I had many repair issues and would always ask what they'd have cost had they occurred out of warranty. This was one of the reasons I ran to dump that car before the expiration, although I really enjoyed the way it drove.

It sounds like you've got a chip somewhere or some contacts on the display module that are dirty/malfunctioning, which is affecting the turn signals and gas gauge. I'd imagine that even if it's just an issue of dirty or oxidized contacts on a connector somewhere, the MB people will just go replace an entire module at far greater cost rather than simply cleaning the thing up. I'm guessing that this would cost a ton of dough, plus at least an hour or three for diagnostics/repair time in the shop (labor). I'm very interested to hear what the bill would look like for these types of (predictable) repairs out of warranty. They should be able and willing to give you that information without hesitation.

Thanks in advance if you happen to get the info and post it here!
vic
Old 11-25-2006, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by vixapphire
Baller,
at what point did you buy the extended warranty (miles/years since purchase)? Does that affect the price in any way or is it $4500 regardless, since it tacks on the end of the mfr's warranty?
I just got it yesterday. With 7 months left on the factory warranty. I have 33k miles on the car. I think the pricing is dependent on mileage and months until the warranty is up. Its refundable (pro rated) at any point and transferrable. Call Dealer Services at 1-800-880-8915 if interested. It was one of 2 places that I found that would do an extended warranty for the E55.