Sponsored by:

New here, please help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
New here, please help!!!

Hey guys i just got a 05 sl55 and ive been reading all the posts here about adding some more powere to the car. I see you guys talk about diffrient intercoolers, pumps, pulleys, cooling kits and such. I have a couple of questions.

I wanted to get a pulley kit and reflash the computer, doing so will i need to do or change anything else for these upgrades to work properly?

What is the snorkel mod?

what is the upgraded factory IC pump all about? and what does it do?

what does the supercharger clutch upgrade consist of? How do i do it?

slr intercooler?

thanks alot/
Old 11-21-2006, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
congrats!

-pulley/ecu upgrade work fine by themselves. great mod!

-snorkel mod replaces the choked down driver's side intake tube on the e with one from an sl. you already have the sl so it doesn't apply to you.

-factory i/c pump is not an upgrade but rather a replacement. early units failed often, later units seem to work decently.

-s/c clutch upgrade uses the s/c clutch from an '06 and up. it reduced the harsh s/c engagement and chirp.

-slr intercooler...basically the same thing as the renntech i/c and just like the renntech, WAY too much money/hp.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:03 PM

2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
Originally Posted by chiromikey
congrats!

-pulley/ecu upgrade work fine by themselves. great mod!

-snorkel mod replaces the choked down driver's side intake tube on the e with one from an sl. you already have the sl so it doesn't apply to you.

-factory i/c pump is not an upgrade but rather a replacement. early units failed often, later units seem to work decently.

-s/c clutch upgrade uses the s/c clutch from an '06 and up. it reduced the harsh s/c engagement and chirp.

-slr intercooler...basically the same thing as the renntech i/c and just like the renntech, WAY too much money/hp.
hod do i know if i have the upgraded IC pump and also how do i get my sc clutch upgraded?
Old 11-21-2006, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Originally Posted by anton28
hod do i know if i have the upgraded IC pump and also how do i get my sc clutch upgraded?

if the ic pump is failiing you will feel that the supercharger is NOT engaging. The car during acceleration feels like a slug! If you do not feel that then ur IC pump is ok. As for the clutch, you will hear the super charger "chirp" . Most AMG kompressors have this chirp but I've heard with the upgrade this goes away. I like the chirp so it doesn't really bother me much....

As for pulley and ECU. I would definately go kleeman. Its a bit pricey but they alot of members have had success with kleeman.

show us some pics of the SL55.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:42 PM

2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
i was going to us http://www.speedtuningusa.com/ for the tunning, its only $400 and great hp gain and asp for the pulley.

Promissed gains are 60hp and 100ftbls.

Ill get some pics and post them ASAP.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i was going to us http://www.speedtuningusa.com/ for the tunning, its only $400 and great hp gain and asp for the pulley.

Promissed gains are 60hp and 100ftbls.

Ill get some pics and post them ASAP.
you might want to search the forum for their work before you make a final decision.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:04 PM

2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
Originally Posted by chiromikey
you might want to search the forum for their work before you make a final decision.
I only found good things.....Should i look harder?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
I second Chiro's advice.. please make sure u do your research... On an SL55, i wouldn't go cheap on an SL55.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes, look a little harder...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=speedtuning

...i would hope they have things sorted out by now but do your homework.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:31 AM

2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
wow thanks guys.

Kleeman it is then. Its a bit cheaper then rentech, Why is that? Is rentech much better or what.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wow thanks guys.

Kleeman it is then. Its a bit cheaper then rentech, Why is that? Is rentech much better or what.
Every person has there own preference on a specific tuner. Why renntech is more expensive than Kleemann? No idea.... but make sure what you put in for performance mods, you have a reputable tuner.

I sent you a PM by the way....
Old 11-22-2006, 02:36 PM

2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
Originally Posted by x-tian-230k
Every person has there own preference on a specific tuner. Why renntech is more expensive than Kleemann? No idea.... but make sure what you put in for performance mods, you have a reputable tuner.

I sent you a PM by the way....
thanks alot
Old 11-23-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Congrats Anton...

I agree that you must do your own research but there are some items to think about that aren't explicit on this site. For instance I have not seen a single tuner have a clean sheet without anyone having an issue, some have better service than others - that's true for sure.

Personally I have an E55 with Speedtuning ECU and ASP (just installed) and love both...I was nervous of both mods (strange eh? given these are relatively minor...but breaking viriginity of the car for the first time is somewhat daunting given the cost of these cars).

Speedtuning worked with me and were aware of their previous over-rich issues and has fixed them. I talked to several customers (some E some SL) that had the tune and loved it. So do your homework but don't assume old news is always still relevent as bad news - sometimes people do learn from errors

ASP pulleys are also the same as the Hennesy ones (at least thats reported here on the forum), and the cost is very resonable for a MB mod perspective ...interestingly if this car were Ford the ASP would be considered expensive and Kleemen and others considered "ridiculously expensive" for what you get. 'Cause frankly they are!

BUT if you want service and want lots of it you have to pay for it there is no choice.

As we are all adults we know we get what we pay for, well...mostly... Unfortunately sometimes we pay more and don't get any more, or the relationship of cost to value is non-linear. Owning an MB is aready a lesson in repricing in a higher market - mods are about the same lesson just over again.

Even people with K2,or k'x' or whatever have had problems - missing power (missing from a presummed marketing promise that is) - cost overruns - significant delays etc...but and this is the real reason for the higher price - they were not alone in fixing it...always the Rep from Kleeman (in this case Cory) helped and worked hard to solve things.

For me the knowledge here on this site was enough to know I could ask if these relatively simple mods went wrong...for you you must make the decision yourself.

Either way - have FUN as this is not about anything else is it?