Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 SL63
Launching question

Hi guys,

I'm asking this question in the E55 Forum for the obvious reason that you guys have the most experience and the best advice.

When launching at the track has anyone started with the traction control on and then swithed it off after getting off the line? About a second or two into the run. Would it matter??

I was planning on trying this on Friday night at the LVMS

Thanks
Old 11-26-2006, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
there's no reason to bother. in my experience, with a decently prepared track and a 2 second burnout you shouldn't even need esp on at the start.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 SL63
3-4 second burnout... tried different launching techniques.. Tires just spin with the esp off.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Why bother trying to switch it off after the launch? I don't know that the ESP stops acceleration at all after the start (in that case). I think most have been just practicing with it either on or off and you will find fans of both ways. But, switching it after the initial launch just makes no sense to me. Our cars don't really churp hard enough between gears to matter, do they?
Old 11-26-2006, 03:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Good luck with whatever technique you use. Be sure to post your times, as I am curious what my car is capable of.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Speaking of the LVMS, it appears to be the Mayhem finale of the year. Does anyone have word as to when the next test and tune will be? Midnight Mayhem is Mayhem. You'll be lucky to get two maybe threee runs in.
I still might see you there!

I almost forgot..........I'll see you @ Legacy
p.s
I am a cerified golfer and I too drive a Pro-V.
How about a MBworld Las Vegas golf outing. Dragon.....can you say Walter's golf sponsered event, lol?

Last edited by Roseylv; 11-27-2006 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by jangy
Why bother trying to switch it off after the launch? I don't know that the ESP stops acceleration at all after the start (in that case). I think most have been just practicing with it either on or off and you will find fans of both ways. But, switching it after the initial launch just makes no sense to me. Our cars don't really churp hard enough between gears to matter, do they?
This is exactly my trend of thoughts as well. However, I had this conversation with my friend and I'm interested to hear if I am right or wrong.

Try it out if you can manage to do it. But make sure to keep the car straight as the first priority
Old 11-27-2006, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 SL63
Originally Posted by Roseylv
Speaking of the LVMS, it appears to be the Mayhem finale of the year. Does anyone have word as to when the next test and tune will be? Midnight Mayhem is Mayhem. You'll be lucky to get two maybe threee runs in.
I still might see you there!

I almost forgot..........I'll see you @ Legacy
p.s
I am a cerified golfer and I too drive a Pro-V.
How about a MBworld Las Vegas golf outing. Dragon.....can you say Walter's golf sponsered event, lol?
Do you play there?? I'm usually there 2-3 days a week. Get a tee time for us.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
I had this same thought and the only reason that I'm curious is once you turn the esp off it allows you WOT as we all know. The question is when the esp is left on and you nail it and it backs you down is there time lost there? So the thought is to leave it on for your launch and just after take off TRY and turn it off so that WOT is achieved faster. Does this make sense or are we reaching?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
I had this same thought and the only reason that I'm curious is once you turn the esp off it allows you WOT as we all know. The question is when the esp is left on and you nail it and it backs you down is there time lost there? So the thought is to leave it on for your launch and just after take off TRY and turn it off so that WOT is achieved faster. Does this make sense or are we reaching?
I think you are reaching. Once you are up and running, there is no need to turn ESP off, since it isn't intervening any more. Getting a nice launch is simply timing and feel. You can't simply punch it and doing burnouts on road tires is useless. Race tires need the heat build up to get soft, but road tired don't.
Hope that helps.