Heat Exchanger vs Intercooler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Heat Exchanger vs Intercooler

Been thinking about a cooling mod and trying to figure out where the major restriction is on our cars ... would you say it the I/C or heat exchanger or both ?

Not much point in making the heat exchanger bigger if the I/C is simply too small or too restrcitive to cool the IAT's... I think there is space to have a bigger heat exchanger fitted to replace the OEM unit. Its not that thick and ther is space either side of it (front to back).

Not much we can do about the I/C though except move its location to the sides as per SLR - but thats going to be major art work and $$$.

Anyone checked to see if a fatter / larger I/C can be fitted and if so ideas on how to go about doing this ?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
great question!!!

Does adding the Evosport/Renntech additional heat exchanger have a siginificant cooling improvement over the larger Kleemann/Johnsonn I/C pump?
Old 11-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...osport+cooling

Above link covers a lot information on this topic.

Let me just add some background on why and how this kit came along.

Stock intercooler circuit consists of three major components:

1. Primary (under the kompressor) heat exchanger
2. Secondary (in front of the radiator) heat exchanger
3. Fluid pump that circulates the fluid.

Stock circuit is also connected to engine cooling circuit and uses anti-freeze as cooling medium.

To increase intercooler circuit performance one need to increase it's effciency, in simple terms it's ability to absord and reject heat.

1. Primary heat exchanger, what we commonly reffer to as intercooler, is allready maxed out in size under the kompressor and has a fairly efficient core. McLaren, when they designed SLR, recognized this and designed a dual intercooler exterior system that mounts right above each cylinder bank.

At one time I was working on a similar design. In the end Renntech has also designed a similar system. It is a fairly complex and expensive product. Renntech wants $15,995 for their system.

At this time my system is on hold.

2. Secondary heat exchanger is mounted up front, behind lower grill. In it's current position it pretty much fills up available space. One could make a custom one, but there maybe another 5-7% of extra space left. Unless one is willing to cut original bumper cover or make a custom one. Very little return on investment.

The only room available was in front of the secondary heat exchanger. And this what I utilized. I added an additional exhchanger that increase total system capacity by 65%. There is no cutting required and installation is very staright forward, which makes returning car back to stock very simple. Remember over 80% of 55s are leases.

3. To push the fluid through the both cores I added biggest 12V pump available - Jonhson CP90. It is rated at 6 times the flow of stock, failure-prone Bosch pump and separated the circuit from cooling circuit.

The results and pictures are in the link above.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:07 PM

How does Malcolm system differs from the EVO cooling system??Is his done by adding or deleting any of the heat exchangers?
He is claiming a significant gain in hp,while others claim there is little or no gain hp.This is done primarely to keep the engine cooler,and help with heat soak.
I spoke with Malcolm this past w/e and found out that he ran another E55 low 11's and said that he has some little trade secret on how to keep his car running cooler.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
little trade secret on how to keep his car running cooler.
My guess it is an ice box in the trunk.

If you are setting up your car just for drags, than you do not care that 10 lbs. of ice are melted at the end of the 1/4 mile.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...osport+cooling

Above link covers a lot information on this topic.

Let me just add some background on why and how this kit came along.

Stock intercooler circuit consists of three major components:

1. Primary (under the kompressor) heat exchanger
2. Secondary (in front of the radiator) heat exchanger
3. Fluid pump that circulates the fluid.

Stock circuit is also connected to engine cooling circuit and uses anti-freeze as cooling medium.

To increase intercooler circuit performance one need to increase it's effciency, in simple terms it's ability to absord and reject heat.

1. Primary heat exchanger, what we commonly reffer to as intercooler, is allready maxed out in size under the kompressor and has a fairly efficient core. McLaren, when they designed SLR, recognized this and designed a dual intercooler exterior system that mounts right above each cylinder bank.

At one time I was working on a similar design. In the end Renntech has also designed a similar system. It is a fairly complex and expensive product. Renntech wants $15,995 for their system.

At this time my system is on hold.

2. Secondary heat exchanger is mounted up front, behind lower grill. In it's current position it pretty much fills up available space. One could make a custom one, but there maybe another 5-7% of extra space left. Unless one is willing to cut original bumper cover or make a custom one. Very little return on investment.

The only room available was in front of the secondary heat exchanger. And this what I utilized. I added an additional exhchanger that increase total system capacity by 65%. There is no cutting required and installation is very staright forward, which makes returning car back to stock very simple. Remember over 80% of 55s are leases.

3. To push the fluid through the both cores I added biggest 12V pump available - Jonhson CP90. It is rated at 6 times the flow of stock, failure-prone Bosch pump and separated the circuit from cooling circuit.

The results and pictures are in the link above.
Thanks...very helpful....