E63 mods, more noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
E63 mods, more noise

I just removed my resonator on my e63. I heard mogz's vid post and decided to do the same.
It does sound better, but like mogz remarked, I want more.
My question is, If you remove the resonator and then decide to go to an aftermarket exhaust, I.E, eisenhauf, race or street, how much louder does it make it or does it even make much difference, with the resonator removed.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:35 PM

AMG
I'm thinking about removing the 2ndary cat now, my Merc technician told me to do so... :p
Old 11-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Almost a Member!

E63
Yeh, I was checking the cats out when the guy had it on the lift and I was wondering what the emission issues would be if I whacked them off.
It would be a good option if it made it sound better. I just hate to hack all this stuff off and find out I should have just bit off on an eisenhauf race in the first place.
Did your guy at merc say it would make a big difference in the sound?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:11 PM

AMG
Yup that's what he said...
Old 11-29-2006, 11:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Hold up here. Cutting off the resonator is minor compared to an aftermarket exhaust. So, if you choose to go further and get an Eis-Race with or without resonator is minimal.
As far as cats go. You can cut out the secondary ones without any error code issues. The first cats will need an ecu mod or extensive faking of a sensor to avoid the error code. Many here have done it, although i won't just because of the MB coding battles going on. Keep another thing in mind. Cutting out the cats and going with an Eis-Race is actually going to lower your power in the lower RPMs. Actually, I never did understand why people would do that since I am stricktly performance oriented. If all you want is sound, why not just get the mufflers replaced? It is much cheaper and it adds any level of sound you want. Another alternative is to have your OEM mufflers "punched". Most muffler shops can do it and it will add sound (lots) AND power (little). I am considering cutting the secondary cats and having my OEM mufflers punched, so we'll see. If you really want it loud, get Glass Packs. They are basically nothing but straight pipes with some insulation. LOUD is an undestatement plus they are only about $50 each.
Don't just follow the lead. Decide what you want and then get it.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:32 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 E55
Mufflers Punched?

Jangy- can you enlighten the uniformed? What does punching out involve and get you?

Like many I too want a deeper, throatier sound without sounding like a racer and without droning. I simply will not tolerate droning...that's how I ended up with a 5k Europipe system on my 996TT. I really do not wish to repeat that expensive lesson on my E55

Do you or others have experience with 'punching out' the mufflers? Is there cabin resonance or droning?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by TR's Toy
Jangy- can you enlighten the uniformed? What does punching out involve and get you?

Like many I too want a deeper, throatier sound without sounding like a racer and without droning. I simply will not tolerate droning...that's how I ended up with a 5k Europipe system on my 996TT. I really do not wish to repeat that expensive lesson on my E55

Do you or others have experience with 'punching out' the mufflers? Is there cabin resonance or droning?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Punching out is simply gutting some of the internals. the droaning has to do more with how the install is done. You can minimize droaning by making sure the tips clear the bumper nicely, therefore letting the sound out behind you and not having it resonate under your car.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:37 AM
Almost a Member!

E63
I guess replacing the mufflers is a good and economic option, but the trick for me is figuring out what kind of sound a particular manufactor's muffler is going to sound like on a 63. I know what a milltek sounds like on a S4, a Borla on a CLK and flowmasters on my truck. My truck sounds good with flowmaters, but I would prefer a euro sound on my 63. Maybe I am being unrealistic in what I am trying to accomplish here.
What have some of you 55 guy's put on your rigs?