Sponsored by:

Vrus TB installed - First day impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 biturbo
Vrus TB installed - First day impressions

Not an E55 but thought the review would be most useful here. Well, after the long wait, the TB kit finally arrived beginning of last week and was actually waiting for my Evosport phenolic spacers to arrive before installing both at the same time. However, I couldn't wait any longer and brought the car down to my local German car tuner to get it installed 2 days ago.

The install process was pretty straightforward and the kit went on without any glitches, unlike many other supposedly "bolt-on" kits I've encountered before. So was pleasantly surprised when the mechanic called me 2+ hours later to ask me to come collect the car. Initially there were some idling problems due to the change in air mass entering the engine but that was solved by resetting the ECU and letting it re-learn.

So off I went for the all-important 'test drive' as I took the car home. Bearing in mind that my car had the pulley taken out as I was sending in for servicing, i wasn't expecting a mind blowing improvement. I was quite wrong. The overall driveability of the car was improved by almost 100%. It was as if a fat lump of torque was thrown in everywhere in the rev range, especially below 4000rpm, and the car was now responding to my right foot instantly. You can literally control how much you want the car thrust forward by just modulating the throttle input. Power also felt more in the mid range and came about more effortlessly. To sum it up, it is like having a sprint booster and pulley on the car without actually having them on!

A question for those of you who have installed it: did you experience any side effects with regards to the gearbox? I felt that the gear changes were now jerky and somewhat delayed especially when driving hard, so was wondering if its TB related or due to something else ...

Anyway, another big thanks to Victor for all the hours and hard work put into providing us with this excellent piece of de-stressing equipment. Seldom do the result of a power modification actually meet expectations but this is one of the rare occasions for me. I'm sure all the smiles you put on our faces makes it all worthwhile and I can't wait to put the pulley back on!

Last edited by Jspeed; 11-30-2006 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
When u say "ECU reset" do you mean the "pedal to floor for 5 seconds" fix ?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 biturbo
He resetted some settings through STAR diagnostics but I think you can also do it by disconnecting the battery overnight.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Hey KC!! Glad you are enjoying it! You will definitely feel an even better improvement once the pulley goes back on.

Have fun and enjoy!!
Old 11-30-2006, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Originally Posted by Jspeed
Not an E55 but thought the review would be most useful here. Well, after the long wait, the TB kit finally arrived beginning of last week and was actually waiting for my Evosport phenolic spacers to arrive before installing both at the same time. However, I couldn't wait any longer and brought the car down to my local German car tuner to get it installed 2 days ago.

The install process was pretty straightforward and the kit went on without any glitches, unlike many other supposedly "bolt-on" kits I've encountered before. So was pleasantly surprised when the mechanic called me 2+ hours later to ask me to come collect the car. Initially there were some idling problems due to the change in air mass entering the engine but that was solved by resetting the ECU and letting it re-learn.

So off I went for the all-important 'test drive' as I took the car home. Bearing in mind that my car had the pulley taken out as I was sending in for servicing, i wasn't expecting a mind blowing improvement. I was quite wrong. The overall driveability of the car was improved by almost 100%. It was as if a fat lump of torque was thrown in everywhere in the rev range, especially below 4000rpm, and the car was now responding to my right foot instantly. You can literally control how much you want the car thrust forward by just modulating the throttle input. Power also felt more in the mid range and came about more effortlessly. To sum it up, it is like having a sprint booster and pulley on the car without actually having them on!

A question for those of you who have installed it: did you experience any side effects with regards to the gearbox? I felt that the gear changes were now jerky and somewhat delayed especially when driving hard, so was wondering if its TB related or due to something else ...

Anyway, another big thanks to Victor for all the hours and hard work put into providing us with this excellent piece of de-stressing equipment. Seldom do the result of a power modification actually meet expectations but this is one of the rare occasions for me. I'm sure all the smiles you put on our faces makes it all worthwhile and I can't wait to put the pulley back on!

Having both the throttle body and pulley+ECU, for someone looking for the first mods, which one would you recommend. They seem to be almost equal in terms of $$$. It seems like the T/B would be a better mod. Let me know your thoughts.