*** 55 Heads Project ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Pm me a price on the heads if they will fit my CLK55

You're gonna run a different pulley without a ECU tune? I want to do a smller s/c pulley but my kleemann s/c runs much less boost than your E55. I'm only at 7PSI lol

Last edited by blackbenzz; 01-05-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by bleek
We gonna see some serious gains with my custom pulley now! All that extra boost is gonna cause alot of heat! With the cooling system all planned out, even without the heads i'll pick up huge gains. The pulley to totally rebalanced after we welded the massive outer ring on it, so i don't have to worry about anything being out of balance, i made a second one, and i'm thinking about shipping it out to Fluidampr to see if they can make a bunch of them for us! Better harmonic dampening and more hp!!! Anyone interested?
Bleek,

Put me down for a fluid job and a set of heads mate!

In regards to the dif brace, can you make some of these as well?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
You're gonna run a different pulley without a ECU tune? I want to do a smller s/c pulley but my kleemann s/c runs much less boost than your E55. I'm only at 7PSI lol
I like running a smaller s/c pulley as well, but on my set up room is so limited because of the clutch pack, so i have no choice but to go with the crank pulley.
I'm gonna do some dyno pulls with my current tune, but the custom tune will come in when i bolt the heads up with the coolers, and then i'll start leaning her out and jamming some more timing in! I'll drop you a pm in a few!

Put me down for a fluid job and a set of heads mate!

In regards to the dif brace, can you make some of these as well?

Thanks
Finny, working on extra control arms right now! The rod ends and tube adapters and chromoly tubing is easy, any race car chassis place has that stuff, but it's the bracket that kills me!

Heads are not a problem anymore as my machinst and me have figured out all the nooks and crannies in these heads, so doing more is not a problem, but the only thing is getting real 55K heads, and more importantly getting a set that isn't damaged! Price of castings are insane, i have one set left and i think i might be able to find another set. Let me know what you want to do, custom valves/stock valves?

There's been so much talk about SLR Coolers, and i know people complain about how expensive they are. Let me tell you, it took me forever to develope my set, the money and R&D involved is through the roof, but to me it's worth the power! Here's a pic of the underneath!
Attached Thumbnails *** 55 Heads Project ***-slrcooler-under1.jpg  
Old 01-09-2007, 04:36 PM

2004 E55
Hey guys, the heads are 95% done, only thing we needed to finish was the combustion chambers. They are really good to begin with, and i kept thinking should I, or shouldn't I. So i went with should I! So i'm gonna have my porter cleanup and polish the chambers and we're done!

Just waiting on the rockers, and camshafts and we are ready to bolt on!

Here's some of the final pics of the heads, all the runners look so killer now that everything is polished and ready!

Pulley is going on shortly, and after that heads and coolers with race tune and to the dyno!

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails *** 55 Heads Project ***-finish-intake-2.jpg   *** 55 Heads Project ***-finish-intake-3.jpg   *** 55 Heads Project ***-finish-1.jpg  
Old 01-09-2007, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
only one word describes that job ...

WOW!!!

Would be great to see a pic comparo vs a stock head & valves?

Last edited by stevebez; 01-09-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, the heads are 95% done, only thing we needed to finish was the combustion chambers.

Just waiting on the rockers, and camshafts and we are ready to bolt on!

Here's some of the final pics of the heads, all the runners look so killer now that everything is polished and ready!

Pulley is going on shortly, and after that heads and coolers with race tune and to the dyno!

Enjoy!
bleek,

Once the heads are done and ready to be installed, will they be a straight up/direct bolt on to the M113 with no other modifications? Might be interested depending on the HP increase so let me know.

The cams you'll be using are they the Kleemann cams or custom ones? Schricks? Billets or grinds?

How much psi on the pulley?

btw. Pics looks incredible on those heads. Very nice job.
Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 05:05 PM

2004 E55
Thanks mate!

Just think i haven't finished the chambers yet either! I will post pics of the second set i am starting! We have the valve size all figured out now so duplicating these heads will not be difficult! I will post flow numbers of my race heads with camshaft and flow numbers of stock head with the same camshaft!

Wanna see how much i reworked the exhaust runner? Check this out!
Attached Thumbnails *** 55 Heads Project ***-cc-final.jpg  
Old 01-09-2007, 05:11 PM

2004 E55
Once the heads are done and ready to be installed, will they be a straight up/direct bolt on to the M113 with no other modifications? Might be interested depending on the HP increase so let me know.
I'll have to chat with Brandon on that one, i myself would like to see how much the heads picked up, i know it will be quite a bit, but it would be nice to see how much of it is the heads, how much is the intercooler, pulley, etc.... But might not be able to test each thing differently! I'll pm you the details if i don't have a chance to post it!

The pulley should be adding close to 4psi extra boost compared to stock, the shafts i got are custom, as that's why i was waiting on things as we were waiting on thr final flow number for the grind. It's more aggressive then SLR profile, but not much more, as piston to valve clearance comes into play!
Old 01-09-2007, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I must be dense or something but what is the hole just north of large bottom valve ... injector port?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Out Of Control!

^^ Thanks for the info bro. Keep me posted.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:31 PM

2004 E55
I must be dense or something but what is the hole just north of large bottom valve ... injector port?
EGR port.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:09 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Valve lift ?

Last night I put the Dail indicator on the intake valve retainer. measured .578 lift. I'm working on a fixture to check the Exhaust lift??. The race hasn't stopped yet!! Happy motoring . I love winter time
Old 01-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Banned

German
Now that some good head!!! ...lol... sweet interdcoolers aslo, what the price on SLR intrercoolers ?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I have a feeling 700hp is going to be a joke.. I think the benchmark will be much higher now..
Old 01-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Banned

German
vrus, has anybody ever done a BUILT motor (forged pistons,rods...) setup and turned uo the boost on a E55K ? ...just wondering
Old 01-09-2007, 07:51 PM

I dont think so still have the problem of the supercharger. The higher the boost the less efficient it is. . I am sure there are graphs on if you raise boost how much hp it takes to do so. Would be interesting to see.

I am still surprised a different higher boost supercharger has not been sourced yet.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by //AMG KING
vrus, has anybody ever done a BUILT motor (forged pistons,rods...) setup and turned uo the boost on a E55K ? ...just wondering
I heard Malcolm has all that(heads ,rods,pistons) done and turned up the wic on his 10 sec E55k, The guy in Maryland. Like I said I've heard!

By the way what Bleek has had done to those 55 heads with the porting and polishing,bigger stainless steel valves is a major upgrade enuff for you to see your N/A or F/I 55 become a total beast. Pistons and rods will basically be giving you a stronger foundation as opposed to more hp.

Like Bleek says,the cylinder heads and a good set of cams are the tickets to a nice race engine. Do up the bottom end and you'll have a very secure future!

Last edited by ProjectC55; 01-09-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:17 PM

2004 E55
Last night I put the Dail indicator on the intake valve retainer. measured .578 lift. I'm working on a fixture to check the Exhaust lift??. The race hasn't stopped yet!! Happy motoring . I love winter time
Good stuff man! Was that on the car or off the car? I wonder what the actual lift would be with a light spring or a solid lifter, as the tip of our rocker arms are lifters, and they are hydraulic, so they probably compressed some. Good stuff man, have you begun mass production of those phenolic spacers yet?

Actually guys, i didn't talk much about it but, my stroker set up has a killer Winberg Crank, Titanium rods, some trick custom JE Pistons, but we all have to remember something here! In the real world who is gonna spend this kind of money, and also it always sounds good bench racing, but in the real world how much will you gain, and what will be your weakest link?

Then we have to look at fuel systems,trannies, rear diffs, then what about the chassis? My stroker bottom end cost over 30K, so start crunching numbers. Plus lots of people talk about tunning, but who really has the budget to R&D this stuff, i will be running a dedicated fuel system on the stroker set up, also we have to remember how streetable the car will be!

I think i've pretty much pushed all that i can out of stock parts and still have the car streetable, and make reliable power. This is all with out spray, i figure with all this my car should go mid-tens with out hurting parts. Now we can go the cheap route a spray the car, but i don't believe in freshening the motor every 20K!

Alittle food for thought, if your brain dead like me and enjoy pissing money away, this is the way to go, but if not we need to be some what realistic.

Here's a pic of the valvetrain just before assembly, all brand new springs, retainers, spring cups, keepers, shims, seals! It's called peace of mind!
Attached Thumbnails *** 55 Heads Project ***-valvetrain-final-1.jpg   *** 55 Heads Project ***-valvetrain-final-2.jpg  
Old 01-10-2007, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp

Actually guys, i didn't talk much about it but, my stroker set up has a killer Winberg Crank, Titanium rods, some trick custom JE Pistons, but we all have to remember something here! In the real world who is gonna spend this kind of money, and also it always sounds good bench racing, but in the real world how much will you gain, and what will be your weakest link?

Then we have to look at fuel systems,trannies, rear diffs, then what about the chassis? My stroker bottom end cost over 30K, so start crunching numbers.

PS The car been stroked to what size now? 5.7,5.8L?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:16 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Question Reciprocating Mass

G'day Bleek,

What's your opinion of the existing crank, rods and pistons that you yanked out?

Did you manage to examine the bits individually?

How tough do you think they are?

Just curious.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Banned

damn, what a freak! in a good way of course.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:16 AM

2004 E55
PS The car been stroked to what size now? 5.7,5.8L?
6.2L was the biggest i could go because of the engine block limitation.

G'day Bleek,

What's your opinion of the existing crank, rods and pistons that you yanked out?

Did you manage to examine the bits individually?

How tough do you think they are?

Just curious.
Finny, All the rotating assembly is great, remember one thing we are not spinning the thing over 7000+ so the parts are plenty tough enough. I was gonna use the stock crank and get it welded then offset grind it so i could have a stroker, but i wanted to start from scratch and not have any limitations, i went all aftermarket so that way i could have all light weight stuff, plus i could control the compression alot better, and also ring placement on the pistons as well, again i'm some what brain dead! LOL! But yes the stock parts are plenty strong!
Old 01-16-2007, 06:51 PM

2004 E55
JamE55, i'll have dyno numbers for you soon! The heads are done!!! Actually they just need to be assembled and there ready to go! I just need to get my Tech at MB ready for the project next week and off to the dyno!

I was gonna send the heads down and have them bolted up, but i got too excited and i myself would like to see how much i pick up with a very old ecu tune and just the heads!

I'll post up all new pics, oh yeah i even got some side to side pics of the finished heads and the new set we're starting!

On a side note, just to show you guys the potenital of these cars, my friend with a pano roof car just pulled 549.1rwhp!!!!!!!!! Here's what we did to the car! We got a custom throttlebody and inlet, the same custom pulley that is going on my car, we got a set of killer full length Kooks custom headers, four super highflow cats(he owns and exhaust shop) and an old tune off my car!

No cooling system upgrade, no camshafts, no intercooler, no themostat, or anything! Still tuning the car as the car is running super rich. We were only able to do two pulls because of the cooling system. First pull we got the 549RWHP, we let the car cool for a half hour but were only able to get 517.2RWHP, the cooling system was totally taxed, but we will have the same front mount and SLR coolers from my car on there as well! He's also gonna do a set of heads like mine, but there's a few more things he's got up his sleeve that he won't tell me! Some of the boys in Toronto here are really trying to turn up the wick.

I know there's so much more to pull out of these cars, but now i need to switch gears and think about the drivetrain!

Anyways here's a pic of the finished combustion chamber, lots more to come!
Attached Thumbnails *** 55 Heads Project ***-finished-cc.jpg  
Old 01-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Out Of Control!

JamE55, i'll have dyno numbers for you soon! The heads are done!!! Actually they just need to be assembled and there ready to go! I just need to get my Tech at MB ready for the project next week and off to the dyno!

I was gonna send the heads down and have them bolted up, but i got too excited and i myself would like to see how much i pick up with a very old ecu tune and just the heads!

I'll post up all new pics, oh yeah i even got some side to side pics of the finished heads and the new set we're starting!

On a side note, just to show you guys the potenital of these cars, my friend with a pano roof car just pulled 549.1rwhp!!!!!!!!! Here's what we did to the car! We got a custom throttlebody and inlet, the same custom pulley that is going on my car, we got a set of killer full length Kooks custom headers, four super highflow cats(he owns and exhaust shop) and an old tune off my car!
bleek,

The pic of that combustion chamber looks absolutely pristine. Keep me posted on the dyno results. I'm itching to see how much of a HP increase this will yield. That 549rwhp surpasess the 65's territory. Good job!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:08 PM

2004 E55
The pic of that combustion chamber looks absolutely pristine. Keep me posted on the dyno results. I'm itching to see how much of a HP increase this will yield. That 549rwhp surpasess the 65's territory. Good job!
Thanks man! Yeah i didn't think it was right just to wait for the final numbers on my car, we would have never figured out where most of the power came from, coolers, heads, cams?

I am still in shock about the 549rwhp, these cars just just nuts, granted we bolted up killer parts, and made sure we used parts that were gonna work with each other, but man his car rocks! My car right now with cams don't make that kind of power, so just imagine how much it will make with the rest of the stuff!

Here's a little topsecret thing to look at! If anyone ever tells you the exhaust system doesn't matter on these blower cars, just look at my friends car! I have a K4, and with out camshafts, his car still makes more, from the custom exhaust and throttlebody!

I'll be back with more pics!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** 55 Heads Project ***