Sponsored by:

I think I'm bored with my E55.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
I'm with Insigno 55. I have contemplated trading in or selling the E55 and getting something else, but nothing comes close to the comfort/practicality/speed combo the E55 offers. I currently have a toddler and another little one on the way and I just can't think of any other cars that interest me to replace it. The only car that i can say has come close to persuading me is a pre-owned (2005) Bentley Continental GT, but then I lose the ability to carry 3 adults in the back (vs cramped quarters for 2 in the B) and the trunk. I'd be fine with the little ones, but the smaller trunk would be pushing it.
My only concern with keeping the car is that I have 1 year left of warranty. Not sure if I would want to keep the E55 out of warranty.

Last edited by medici78; 12-03-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
My only concern with keeping the car is that I have 1 year left of warranty. Not sure if I would want to keep the E55 out of warranty.
Same boat...that is why I always lease the car less than the length of the warranty. However, this is the only car that I've ever considered keeping after the lease was up (but in modded form).

After the warranty runs out on any MB, their service department will screw you on any "repair" because they just replace parts and not actually try to fix anything. Those MB replacement parts and labor costs are ridiculous...At least with the independent MB trained mechanic that I've found in the area, the parts may be the same cost but at least the labor is significantly less.

Plus he actually tries to fix a problem vs. just jumps to replace mode...
Old 12-03-2006, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn

I wasn't aware Park Place did tuner installs. I know there's one that will do it but I thought it was much farther away. I'll have to check into that.
A tech from the Bedford shop told me that Dallas will do installs.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Replacing the E55 will be hard if not impossible. I thought about also keeping it and getting something else completely different like an SLK55 etc to drive around and just switch back and forth to keep things interesting.

That does help. Have several cars (and bikes ) with different purposes and personalities. When you move between them, you appreciate the differences and the fun you get out of driving each one.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WayneE
That does help. Have several cars (and bikes ) with different purposes and personalities. When you move between them, you appreciate the differences and the fun you get out of driving each one.
That helps for me. On the working days when I feel lazy and discouraged, I take the BMW 325, when I am in a good mood and wants to be like a kid again I take the 350Z rice rocket. On the weekend when I am relaxed and actually appreciate driving, I take the E55.

The feeling of jumping between each car is truely different.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
How about an Audi S6, with the Lambo V-10 engine?
Old 12-03-2006, 05:59 PM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by WayneE
that's what i'm planning to do; get an older boulevard cruiser and trade off between them; if i find the romantic idea of it was overrated, i'll sell the cruiser and keep the e55; if not, the e55 is off to auction, and the teabagging cost of ownership with it. i'd rather use the extra money to invest elsewhere. at this point in my life, i've discovered that, well, "i'm over it", in so many words. wish i'd figured that out several cars ago...
Old 12-03-2006, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
drive something else for a couple days, then get back in the E55.... When my car was in for service they gave me a honda accord loaner I really appreciated the E55...
Old 12-03-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
I was going to get an Ariel Atom for an extra car, but now it's winter and that wore off since it's 40 degrees out. Also they just raised prices on them by about 12%. They run like $60,000 now for just the regular 300hp model with no frills. If you want the whole track package it's almost $90,000. $60,000 for a go-cart? Um.... I can get an new 07 slk55 for that price. Though the Atom would run rings around it and anything else out there even the feared Z06. $60,000 of pure impractical fun.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by Insigno E55
The truth is, no matter what car you change to you will always end up getting this feeling. That's what I think, and bottom line for me is I will keep my E55 until I can convince myself there's something else out there I want worth replacing.
this is so true! im gonna mod the **** outta my 55 then in a year or so get raped when i trade it and my hummer in on a lambo and a beater toyota pick up truck. beater for every day use and lambo when i want fun. that should keep things intresting untill i can aford a enzo. hehe never on the enzo.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
I agree with the guys about getting mods or just trading it in. I get bored every couple of years and get a new one myself. I can honestly say that my 211 will be a keeper for many years. I plan on adding to the stable in a few months, but it will be pretty hard for me to find a non modified car that can make me smile the same way. Well, the Enzo at the show we went to today was the *****!

Keep looking until you find a dealer that will work with you. THEY ARE OUT THERE!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Originally Posted by Insigno E55
I do agree the truth is that these cars does cost quite a fortune to own (mine is paid off), the idea of owning something older or more classic that you can wrench yourself seems tempting.
I have seen this comment twice, what makes these cars so expensive to own?
Old 12-04-2006, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I was going to get an Ariel Atom for an extra car
Thats what I was going to suggest ... I did not realise they were that much $$$!! You could also look at getting a Radical ... more of a track car than a go-kart - but licenced to use on roads.

http://www.radicalextremesportscars.com/

Or a Noble M15... the new noble is allot more comfortable and more powerfull ...

http://noblecars.com/

And if money were no object .. an SLR or Carrera GT

BTW: the Atom 300 got around a test track here in UK faster than a CGT.

Last edited by stevebez; 12-04-2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
I thought about modding it, I would really like to get the full vrus kit and a K2 or equivalent. However none of the Dallas dealerships are really mod friendly and considering my bad luck the engine would probably explode on the way home. On an odd note I have considered an SL600 with a Renntech stage 1 though. I really prefer a 4 door so that really limits my options on the 65 cars to a S65 which is just too big and "old" for me, I'm 28. So if I want a midsize 4 door with gobs of power my options are limited to really only 2 contenders. E55/63 or M5. Ha ha, I think I'm screwed unless I drop the 4 door requirement.
Hi,
I'm 38 (old man ) and just sold my 2005 Renntech SL600 and bought a 2006 S65. I have not recieved the car yet as it is being shipped from Texas to where I live (Florida). I needed a 4 door and looked at an E63 and M5. I'll tell you for the money, a used s65 is the best car and value. Go look at an s65 or even s55 just to get a look at the body. It's not that bad. Put a spoiler on the rear windshield and trunk and the car looks awsome. It is way faster then your stock E55. A simple ECU upgrade makes it faster then almost all exotics and it is one of the most comfortable cars out there. It definitely won't handle as well but for a big car it's pretty tight. I had a CL55 in the past and I can tell you when you get a taste of the Biturbo engine you can't go back. It is so powerful and a torque monster from any speed. I can't wait to get mine. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Whenever I get bored with mine, I just turn off the ESP and hang it out there, and then I've gotten my fix
Old 12-04-2006, 11:17 AM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by FASN8N
I have seen this comment twice, what makes these cars so expensive to own?
pardon the extreme hyphenation, but to answer your question: once you're out of warranty, you'll basically be driving a super-high-techno-gadget-laden Chrysler-quality-built car, but with the repair costs of a super-highend Mercedes Benz.

not a good combination, I'd reckon.

since all of the wear and tear parts (from brake parts on up) are "special to" the AMG, every trip to the parts counter is already an ankle-grab, never mind the already steep MB branding price premium. this is pretty true of any high end car. likewise, have you insured an e55? because it's a highly conspicuous indicator of wealth, insuring it for mandatory minimums is not an option: i'm hyper-insured to cover the other guy in any accident i might get into, because i'm not interested in losing my house. that gets very expensive. that should be enough to get you started on reasons why these cars cost much to own. those are the first to my mind, anyway. oh, that and 10.8 mpg (city)... i could probably get better mpg out of a '79 6.9!!!

to wit, i've owned a few lower-line benzes, top-line cadillacs, jaguar's, volvo's, etc., and apart from the payment which is obviously higher, cost of operation is higher in this car than the others i've owned. it is what it is, that's all.

p.s. fear of failure of the electronic braking system while out somewhere on I-40 between LA and Albuquerque (no MB centers between the two) carries a high "stress factor premium" as well. perhaps not so easily quantified in $ terms, but it's a real cost, especially with an infant daughter in the back seat.

Last edited by vixapphire; 12-04-2006 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:19 AM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by france2112
Hi,
I'm 38 (old man ) and just sold my 2005 Renntech SL600 and bought a 2006 S65. I have not recieved the car yet as it is being shipped from Texas to where I live (Florida). I needed a 4 door and looked at an E63 and M5. I'll tell you for the money, a used s65 is the best car and value. Go look at an s65 or even s55 just to get a look at the body. It's not that bad. Put a spoiler on the rear windshield and trunk and the car looks awsome. It is way faster then your stock E55. A simple ECU upgrade makes it faster then almost all exotics and it is one of the most comfortable cars out there. It definitely won't handle as well but for a big car it's pretty tight. I had a CL55 in the past and I can tell you when you get a taste of the Biturbo engine you can't go back. It is so powerful and a torque monster from any speed. I can't wait to get mine. Good luck with your decision.
I agree, the 00-06 S body is one of the sexiest out there, especially in AMG appearance trim. congrats on what sounds like a wonderful ride!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
It seems like it's lost it's magic. I've had it a little over a year now, which is about how long a car lasts with me. It doesn't feel as quick as it used to, maybe because I'm used to it now or because I haven't been driving it very hard as it's not as exciting as it used to be. I haven't done the sneaky ecu reset in months, I just don't feel like doing it anymore. So the question is get rid of it, but get what instead. Or is there something I can do to make it exciting again? I like the car, it just doesn't "feel" the same anymore. It used to be an experience just to drive it, now it's just another car.
Get the sprint booster... Its a completely different car with it on... its the cheapest mod out there....
Old 12-04-2006, 01:48 PM

put wings on it see if it can fly
Old 12-04-2006, 06:05 PM

CHIPPED E320 CDI
Sprintbooster!! put the excitement back, where ever its gone
Old 12-04-2006, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
We can trade cars if you want.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Originally Posted by newton22
We can trade cars if you want.
You know what's sad? I almost bought an S430 before I found the E55. I was so sick of my CLS and banging my head getting in and out and smacking my head on the ceiling every time I went over a pothole.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
bored

"if pleasure remains, does it remain a pleasure?"

i think the guys who own/drive other cars often are able to better appreciate the e55 since they have the comparison/contrast.

one really cheap suggestion. as you're driving the e55, put the biggest grin on your face that you could muster up, and keep repeating "how am i so lucky to drive this car?" do this for 5 minutes and maintain your grin. if this doesn't work, it won't matter what car you're driving, LOL.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by france2112
Hi,
I am thinking of trading my E63 in on a 2007 S65 that is soon to be traded in at my dealer. I haven't owned a "big" car and am looking for a change.
I passed on trading into the '07 CL550 (Launch edition). The car needs a sport package to look right.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Originally Posted by vixapphire
pardon the extreme hyphenation, but to answer your question: once you're out of warranty, you'll basically be driving a super-high-techno-gadget-laden Chrysler-quality-built car, but with the repair costs of a super-highend Mercedes Benz.

not a good combination, I'd reckon.

since all of the wear and tear parts (from brake parts on up) are "special to" the AMG, every trip to the parts counter is already an ankle-grab, never mind the already steep MB branding price premium. this is pretty true of any high end car. likewise, have you insured an e55? because it's a highly conspicuous indicator of wealth, insuring it for mandatory minimums is not an option: i'm hyper-insured to cover the other guy in any accident i might get into, because i'm not interested in losing my house. that gets very expensive. that should be enough to get you started on reasons why these cars cost much to own. those are the first to my mind, anyway. oh, that and 10.8 mpg (city)... i could probably get better mpg out of a '79 6.9!!!

to wit, i've owned a few lower-line benzes, top-line cadillacs, jaguar's, volvo's, etc., and apart from the payment which is obviously higher, cost of operation is higher in this car than the others i've owned. it is what it is, that's all.

p.s. fear of failure of the electronic braking system while out somewhere on I-40 between LA and Albuquerque (no MB centers between the two) carries a high "stress factor premium" as well. perhaps not so easily quantified in $ terms, but it's a real cost, especially with an infant daughter in the back seat.
Vixapphire,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I just did not know if the high cost of ownership was due to mechanical items or other costs. I was puzzled when Insigno E55 said that the car costs a small fortune to own an 06 E55 with 2,300 miles that he only had for 3 months. I would think that the warranty should cover everything for a few years. I am guessing that his high cost of ownership has to do with insurance, gas, etc at this point.

I owned a Dinan S2 540 six speed for a few years and it would nickle and dime me to death with small things that needed to be done here and there. I am guessing the E55 will be like this too when it is out of warranty?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I think I'm bored with my E55.