I think I'm bored with my E55.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
I think I'm bored with my E55.

It seems like it's lost it's magic. I've had it a little over a year now, which is about how long a car lasts with me. It doesn't feel as quick as it used to, maybe because I'm used to it now or because I haven't been driving it very hard as it's not as exciting as it used to be. I haven't done the sneaky ecu reset in months, I just don't feel like doing it anymore. So the question is get rid of it, but get what instead. Or is there something I can do to make it exciting again? I like the car, it just doesn't "feel" the same anymore. It used to be an experience just to drive it, now it's just another car.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
It seems like it's lost it's magic. I've had it a little over a year now, which is about how long a car lasts with me. It doesn't feel as quick as it used to, maybe because I'm used to it now or because I haven't been driving it very hard as it's not as exciting as it used to be. I haven't done the sneaky ecu reset in months, I just don't feel like doing it anymore. So the question is get rid of it, but get what instead. Or is there something I can do to make it exciting again? I like the car, it just doesn't "feel" the same anymore. It used to be an experience just to drive it, now it's just another car.
Take it to a tuner...K4,vrus TB, etc...or Hennessy (isn't he near Dallas?)...OR take some X, turn on the the dynamic seat, massage, heat, and ventilation functions, then drive naked through Dallas at illegal speeds, while your girl or wife polishes your gearshifter. That might be exciting !
Old 12-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212

Sell it and move on or get to modding it which makes it continually "new". If it is just stock and you are bored, move on up to a 65.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Maybe you shouldn't be sitting at home on a Friday night. Go out and look for something to kill. Another suggestion is go on a road trip. Go at least as far as the next time zone and watch the clock change times as you cross the time zone.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
...go to a drag strip and run the 1/4 mile.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
I thought about modding it, I would really like to get the full vrus kit and a K2 or equivalent. However none of the Dallas dealerships are really mod friendly and considering my bad luck the engine would probably explode on the way home. On an odd note I have considered an SL600 with a Renntech stage 1 though. I really prefer a 4 door so that really limits my options on the 65 cars to a S65 which is just too big and "old" for me, I'm 28. So if I want a midsize 4 door with gobs of power my options are limited to really only 2 contenders. E55/63 or M5. Ha ha, I think I'm screwed unless I drop the 4 door requirement.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Originally Posted by can drive 55
Maybe you shouldn't be sitting at home on a Friday night. Go out and look for something to kill. Another suggestion is go on a road trip. Go at least as far as the next time zone and watch the clock change times as you cross the time zone.
Unfortunately Friday night is when all of the CRs and releases are scheduled to go in. Friday's are always very busy work days for me. But perhaps you're right, maybe it's not so much the car but other things that are boring and dragging everything down with it.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I thought about modding it, I would really like to get the full vrus kit and a K2 or equivalent. However none of the Dallas dealerships are really mod friendly and considering my bad luck the engine would probably explode on the way home. On an odd note I have considered an SL600 with a Renntech stage 1 though. I really prefer a 4 door so that really limits my options on the 65 cars to a S65 which is just too big and "old" for me, I'm 28. So if I want a midsize 4 door with gobs of power my options are limited to really only 2 contenders. E55/63 or M5. Ha ha, I think I'm screwed unless I drop the 4 door requirement.
How about Maserati...

http://www.autoweek.nl/images/Articl...ttroporte1.jpg
Old 12-02-2006, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corvette
Or...you could sell it to me real cheap and then your problem for that car is solved.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:01 AM

‘11 SLS, ‘19 GT63 s Edition One
Originally Posted by jangy
Sell it and move on or get to modding it which makes it continually "new". If it is just stock and you are bored, move on up to a 65.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Um, why would you move on to ANOTHER boring Mercedes.

You're bored with your Mercedes? Get a sleeper.

Go buy yourself a LS430 and when you find yourself falling asleep, smash the throttle.
Then you'll finally understand the meaning of being bored.
God I hate life sometimes

Oh yeah, don't forget to supercharge and giggle gas that 3UZ. (Dreams... dreams... dreams...)
Old 12-02-2006, 08:22 AM

06 E60 M5
Get an M5
Old 12-02-2006, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
e/cls 63 w/ a supercharger

the 63's are much more enjoyable to drive
Old 12-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
I know how ya feel, after a year with just about anything (wife and kids included) I'm also ready for something new. But the reality of it is, change does not necessarily make you any happier nor does it always get you a better car or wife.

My suggestion: If you like the basic nature of your E55 spend $20,000 on wheels and performance upgrades and it will truly transform your ride. I can pretty much guarantee you that no four door and few two door cars on the road today or tomorrow, will be able to touch you. $20,000 is probably less money then you would spend trying to swap-out your E55, so look at it as a wise money decision.

Call Kleemann, Renntech, ect. They can always help you find good tuners in your area. If not, ship your car to them. I sent mine to Colorado and then scheduled a little mini vacation visiting the Rocky Mountains.

P.S. Same goes for the wife/girlfriend. If you like their basic nature but you need a change, take $20,000, send them to Dr. Plastic for new *****, face, butt or whatever needs modified and presto!!!!..............New Love!!!! Yes, sometimes it's cheaper to keeper.

Last edited by Rock; 12-02-2006 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
It seems like it's lost it's magic. I've had it a little over a year now, which is about how long a car lasts with me. ... It used to be an experience just to drive it, now it's just another car.
So many cars, so little time.

Park Place in Dallas will do RennTech or Kleemann installs, I'm not certain which one.
Ewing won't, nor will Park Place in Bedford.

Get a 3 year old 911 turbo, hammer it for 6 months and you'll be ready for the luxury ride again.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:24 AM

a few...
Get a CLS55. They are *****in' and sound mean... plus you could mod it and get some crazy power.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Rock

P.S. Same goes for the wife/girlfriend. If you like their basic nature but you need a change, take $20,000, send them to Dr. Plastic for new *****, face, butt or whatever needs modified and presto!!!!..............New Love!!!! Yes, sometimes it's cheaper to keeper.

LOL!! What do I do, if I already have over $20K in my wife? When do we hit diminishing returns? Wouldn't it just be cheaper to get a spare and just keep her as my daily?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
jangy: Then you have to pay for the spare's plastic too!!!! Not too mention, we like to have plenty of spares..
Old 12-03-2006, 12:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
jangy: Then you have to pay for the spare's plastic too!!!! Not too mention, we like to have plenty of spares..

HAHA!! I never though of all the upkeep a spare takes. Damn!! All these loop holes to my happiness!!
Old 12-03-2006, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Lots of good suggestions. I already had a CLS, I didn't fit in it very well and only kept it a few months before trading it for the E55. As for the P cars and M5, I managed to injure my back 4 wheeler racing some years ago so comfortable seats and ride are at the top of my priority list when buying.

I actually talked to Cory a number of times Rock after you posted your daily progress when you sent your car to Kleemann. I think he's probably tired of hearing from me as I could never bring myself to do it. It's very very tempting...

I wasn't aware Park Place did tuner installs. I know there's one that will do it but I thought it was much farther away. I'll have to check into that.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
SL65, S65, or S600 + renntech mods doesnt get any faster and comfier in one pakage than that.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:45 AM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Funny, I've been feeling the same way lately. I love the car but I'm really tired of how much it costs to own one of these. I've actually been thinking of going in a different direction, namely getting a nice older classic benz and using that as a daily driver. It'll be cheaper to own/insure (no draggin' car payment either) and I can probably even wrench on it some, as opposed to all that elektro-shyte in these E55's, where no repair seems to be less than several hundred dollars.

I'm afraid to make the jump, though, because (a) my wife is tired of how I go through a car every year or so, and (b) there's nothing else like the immediacy and awesome responsiveness of this car (with 4 doors, that is).
Old 12-03-2006, 02:17 AM
Almost a Member!

It's funny how some of us are all alike. I own an 06 for only 3 months with less than 2300 miles on the clock, and I sort of already getting this feeling. But the truth is I know there's nothing yet out there that can replace my E55 as far as performance v.s comfort v.s functionality.

I do agree the truth is that these cars does cost quite a fortune to own (mine is paid off), the idea of owning something older or more classic that you can wrench yourself seems tempting. I was tempted to get an old body M3 awhile back before the E55 (1990-1991 body style), found one really clean. But still my heart told me to go for the E55.

The truth is, no matter what car you change to you will always end up getting this feeling. That's what I think, and bottom line for me is I will keep my E55 until I can convince myself there's something else out there I want worth replacing.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Replacing the E55 will be hard if not impossible. I thought about also keeping it and getting something else completely different like an SLK55 etc to drive around and just switch back and forth to keep things interesting.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:30 AM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Yeah; I'm right there with you. I have a recording studio with a bunch of gear and synthesizers, and used to spend an undue amount of time thinking about the next synth or piece of gear to buy and how it would provide some key to the lock of change.

And then I realized that the gear won't change your life. Cars are the same way, although I have to admit this feeling does nag beginning about 12-15 months into my ownership of any car. The only thing that would change substantively is a drop in monthly outlays for the next couple of years, and a serious reduction in insurance and registration costs. Still weighing if I'm game to hang in for the remainder of the finance period and keep the thing (the e55 wagon is the pinnacle of "all-in-one" transport perfection from a thrillsville/utilitarian perspective) beyond that, or whether the cost of upkeep post-warranty makes that a fool's errand in any scenario. I'm frightened of the cost of just doing the 15k brake refreshment (pads AND drums? oh no...), never mind any electronic parts replacements, air suspension parts (yikes - i'd consider a 300 SEL 6.3 W109 an apt comparo of how to get bent over a table for air suspension repair costs) and the like. I've gotta ask a dealer what the general maintenance costs (brake jobs, etc.) amount to on these things before I get comfortable making any decisions.

Still, keeping the thrill factor going is tough, notwithstanding the most excellent sound system and exhaust note of these cars...

v

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I think I'm bored with my E55.