Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I'm bored with my E55.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If it means anything, dads out of warranty SL500 (2003) is hell on the wallet.
Thank goodness for aftermarket extended warranty companies, but even they don't cover it all.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by FASN8N
I owned a Dinan S2 540 six speed for a few years and it would nickle and dime me to death with small things that needed to be done here and there. I am guessing the E55 will be like this too when it is out of warranty?
I share that apprehension, and anticipate "death by a thousand gouges" in post-warranty repairs for this car. My problem is not the car itself - mine's been really trouble-free so far and it's difficult to complain in that regard. The thing is, all the electronic "modules" are plug-in types with those "edge connectors" whose contacts get oxidized after a few (keyword: "few") years; rather than cleaning or repairing these things, most service people will just toss them and replace them with new parts that cost a fortune. Because you need a dealer or some kind of authorized schmoe who's got the computer diagnostic to evaluate where the problems are in the first instance, it seems like there's a sort of hostage/ransom-like thing between owners and dealers/service. Buncha punks!!!

Personally, I don't plan to test my theory if I can avoid it, but who knows?

vic
Old 12-05-2006, 09:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
Originally Posted by getbitten
I am thinking of trading my E63 in on a 2007 S65 that is soon to be traded in at my dealer. I haven't owned a "big" car and am looking for a change.
I passed on trading into the '07 CL550 (Launch edition). The car needs a sport package to look right.
If you can afford it then go for it!!! The technology of the 07 S65 is amazing. I went with the 06 because the price dropped so much and for now I can live with the slightly older technology. Eventually I will get rid of the 06 and get a used 07- maybe in two years. At least I get the same engine and horsepower and I actually like the way the 06 looks but if money was not an option I would definitly get the 07. IMO one of the best cars made and on the road today!!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Figured I would follow up and let everyone know what I did. While my E55 was in the shop for a while I made the plunge and picked up a SLK55 to go along with the E. I strongly considered trading the E for an SL65, but in the end the SL65, other than power, was too similar to the E in ride and felt I would get bored with it very quickly. The SLK55 and E55 have such drastic contrast in ride that it was the right choice to keep things fun and interesting. Now that the E has retuned and better than ever with a new VRP CF airbox I took a few pictures of them to look at.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55AMG
Awesome combo and i love that SLK color, but that Grille.... YUCK
Old 03-22-2007, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Originally Posted by Finnish C32
Awesome combo and i love that SLK color, but that Grille.... YUCK
I know not many like the grille stars. I hate the hood star though, I find it distracting. I also wanted the two to match so there you go. I tried to find the least intrusive one I could find and that's what I came up with. It could be worse, it could be a CL grille. At least that one looks closer to OEM.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Can I get a cliff notes version of where you are? Still bored? If so, you getting rid of it or no? I be confused on the discussion at hand.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Originally Posted by jangy
Can I get a cliff notes version of where you are? Still bored? If so, you getting rid of it or no? I be confused on the discussion at hand.
Cliff notes: Late last year in December I posted this as the E55 had lost it's luster for me for unknown reasons. It was my DD. I was thinking of trading it for something else, modding it to make it interesting again, or get a 2nd car to swap back and forth with to keep things fresh. Ultimately last month I decided the latter and got an SLK55 to go along with my E so I could take turns driving both cars. For that to work the 2nd car had to have a different enough ride and feel so it didn't feel like I was just driving the same thing with a different looking body. The SLK fits that bill very well and there it be.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
Cliff notes: Late last year in December I posted this as the E55 had lost it's luster for me for unknown reasons. It was my DD. I was thinking of trading it for something else, modding it to make it interesting again, or get a 2nd car to swap back and forth with to keep things fresh. Ultimately last month I decided the latter and got an SLK55 to go along with my E so I could take turns driving both cars. For that to work the 2nd car had to have a different enough ride and feel so it didn't feel like I was just driving the same thing with a different looking body. The SLK fits that bill very well and there it be.

SWEET!! Glad you stayed in the family by mimicking the wolf family!! You gonna mod either or both out?