Sponsored by:

W211 ECU connector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S211 AMG
W211 ECU connector

I have a connector on the ECU that has a broken clip. In fact the grey clip is missing and the plug is just seated in the socket. This is has cost me $400 already to have the car towed and the problem diagnosed. I suspect that the vibrations from the motor could dislodge it so I'm looking to get it fixed. MB have said that I would have to replace the whole wiring harness or splice in a new connector. Neither option is appealing. It looks as though the clip can be removed from the connector which means I could replace it if I can find one.

help...
Old 12-11-2006, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'01 E55
Would you happen to have any photos by chance??
Old 12-11-2006, 10:10 PM

S211 AMG
No, but I can post tomorrow if it will help.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'01 E55
Yeah, it would.

I've had issues with MB like that in the past. You'll break a clip or connector and they won't make it available separately. It'll have a part # on it and everything but you have to get the whole harness. Hopefully that's not the case.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I would just just duct tape it tight to the unit ... or fit some cable ties over the whole box to secure.. crazy to buy a new harness...
Old 12-12-2006, 02:38 PM

I Have The Same Problem With Broken Ecu Clips ,so I Will Look Into It To See If I Can Get The Clips Seperately,or Do I Need A Wireing Harness.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:28 PM

S211 AMG
Originally Posted by jamusa
I Have The Same Problem With Broken Ecu Clips ,so I Will Look Into It To See If I Can Get The Clips Seperately,or Do I Need A Wireing Harness.
I've asked around to no avail. I think Steve's suggestion is best with the cable ties.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:32 PM

E55
one to one cable replacement solution??

I had some issues with these hold-downs/connectors too - they are weak. The very first time I took off the ECU I noticed the issue as I replaced it (didn't notice an issue as it came off) - I can't help wonder if the dealership had also stressed these hold-downs too (maybe yours had a heavy handed tech work on it too). The look as if they are designed to lever in the connector to make it mate properly - but in fact they are too weak to do that. Instead it looks like you are meant to push it home and use the hold-down just to lock it down after its seated.

I agree that replacing the harness is crazy expensive (and prone to break more than it fixes!)....how about finding the connector and mating half on the web and making a new cable (one to one) to "extend" it and make the connection at the ECU reliable again. The other end can then be made secure with ties or even "glued" if needed....this is kinda make your own harness extension...

Anyone know the OEM on the connector (and any part numbers) ??

We can't be the only ones with weak hold downs given the number of times the members here have taken ECUs out and replaced them after fixes...hey come to think about it the makes of after market tuning for ecu'S MUST have the connectors (to make the suggested cable with) as they use the mating connector all the time. Assuming (?) that this is one of those needed to flash the ECU (are all conncetors needed? or just some?).

...any ECU tuners willing to help by suppying the data (or even a few connectors at cost?) - are the connections inserted by machine? If so we might have to get the two ends premade and then solder each wire to its mate (with heat shrink tubing) to make a one to one cable....

Last edited by SS3E55; 12-12-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:11 AM

AMG's
Which connectors do you need? I have an extra OEM wire harness I can sell.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:51 PM

S211 AMG
PM sent.

Originally Posted by DChan415
Which connectors do you need? I have an extra OEM wire harness I can sell.