Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light Gets Me A Reflash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Check Engine Light Gets Me A Reflash

Took the E55 in today for its appointment regarding the illuminated "check engine" message displaying on my dash. Turns out the source of the CEL was a faulty O2 sensor (fewer than 11K miles on it), which was replaced under warranty.

But in reviewing the statement while picking up the car this evening, I noticed I also got a "free" software update of the ME (mechanical electrical) software during repairs. After reading the comments here, I obviously summoned my service writer and asked him why the recoding had been performed without my consent. His explanation was that when they did the SDS tests to determine the source of the CEL, it automatically determines if the the control units contain the must current software - which mine did not. As such, they then routinely perform the updates. He said that each newer version of the software is improved. But he did say that going forward, he would put a note in my car's file that they are to seek my permission before doing what apparently was a discretionary reflash.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the car long and haven't had a chance do a dyno run yet, so I will never know whether my reflash as diminished my car's performance. On the other hand, on the drive home from the dealership, it felt as strong as ever and maybe even a tad smoother, so it's hard to feel very upset about anything when the car drives like it does.

Last edited by Lysholm Master; 01-04-2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by Lysholm Master
Unfortunately, I haven't had the car long and haven't had a chance do a dyno run yet
what???? I dynoed my C55 at 1k miles. In fact, I might even dyno the next car I buy, before I buy it. LOL. I know that I'm definitely not the only knucklehead who has thought about doing that.

If your car doesn't feel slower, I wouldn't worry about the reflash.