Sponsored by:

Remove resonator and secondary cats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
imo, the oem mufflers offer plenty of backpressure by themselves to prevent low end tq loss. with my long tube headers and one set of 200 cell high flow cats and the oem mufflers i'm making BUTT loads of tq on my k2. 580lb/ft to the wheels on a conservative dyno dynamics machine and cory hasn't even finished my tune yet.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by chiromikey
imo, the oem mufflers offer plenty of backpressure by themselves to prevent low end tq loss. with my long tube headers and one set of 200 cell high flow cats and the oem mufflers i'm making BUTT loads of tq on my k2. 580lb/ft to the wheels on a conservative dyno dynamics machine and cory hasn't even finished my tune yet.
This is the other point the shop is making, he is saying we will keep my Stock muffler and just remove everything else...meaning 1st and second cats, at this point i will just dyno and try it, to see what the results will be, I will hate myself if I spend the money and find out I have lost too much.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by JodyE55Rocket
This is the other point the shop is making, he is saying we will keep my Stock muffler and just remove everything else...meaning 1st and second cats, at this point i will just dyno and try it, to see what the results will be, I will hate myself if I spend the money and find out I have lost too much.
Jody Listen to Chiro dude. Have your special"muffler shop" LOL! build your system with high flow secondary cats minus the primaries. Then continue changing the ppes till you get to the stck mufflers and be done. What are you worried about? You're driving a forced induction car! Purchase some 200 or 100 cell cats and use them as your secondaries. Keep the stck mufflers on. If you lose Tq down low you'll gain midrange and topen where it counts and that's a fact.

PS you aint gonna lose anything noticeable down low. I have no cats on my M3 and she's a beast! My blue M3 that is! When I had this same system on my black Bimmer that you saw which has Schrick cams nd the 3.2L m3 motor,she ran with my 55 thru 1st 2nd and 3rd gear to my total amazement

PS have Alfee plcae an x-pipe in the system some where if possible. He'll know what to do. Just look at Chiro exh system. DO THE EXACT SAME THING!

Last edited by ProjectC55; 01-17-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
its hard to justify any of these tuner upgrades come on a pully and ECU 4 grand. i got a complete super charger with air box and intercooler installed in my hummer for 6 grand thats including the supercharger. a pully is only 99 bucks and a custom tune the way you want it 495.
Ya know... we keep feeding this monster..... labor and material is labor and material period......stainless or jet coating it doesnt matter if it is destined for a Mercedes or a Ford!!!!.....I have Kooks stainless steel long tubes with stainless, hi flow catted pipes and a Mopar/Corsa stainless 2.75" cat back with X pipe for $3,600 installed!!!!! These flippin Euro vendors are out of their minds and any one who pays 12k for headers and an exhaust !!!!!!!

My SRT8 has the AMG 5 speed, I purchased and installed a 2600 rpm stall converter for $650 for the converter and $600 to install turn key. Stamp Renntech....Kleeman or Evo on that converter, and tell them its for an E55 and it automatically costs $4,650 and 2,600 to install

We share the same tranny oil dipstick.......same identical stick is interchangeable.......$80 at the Chrysler dealer $125 at Mercedes......stamp Kleeman or Renntech on it.....and God only knows!

Last edited by sgtstanko; 02-09-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
about to remove resonators and secondary cats today. So the consensus says leave the secondary cats alone for now? I dont want to lose tq. Has anyone dynoed before and after with cats on and off? Hard to believe you will lose hp and tq by removing cats. Yay or Nay guys?
Old 09-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 745 Likes on 726 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Max.H
about to remove resonators and secondary cats today. So the consensus says leave the secondary cats alone for now? I dont want to lose tq. Has anyone dynoed before and after with cats on and off? Hard to believe you will lose hp and tq by removing cats. Yay or Nay guys?
my understanding is that as long as u put x-pipe after 2nd cat delete, u'll be alright...
i did dyno right after i removed 2nd cat and added x-pipe so no before & after dynos...
my butt dyno tells me i did not lose power at least...
Old 09-19-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
i did remove prims plus seconds,in place of prims had a set of 200 cells.no dyno but sound is a bitt louder and shift points a bitt higher.its great so far