Sponsored by:

Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Electrical Problems

I just put in a full audio setup in my car and I'm experiencing some problems i cannot resolve. I installed a Pioneer Avic-Z1, Boston Acoustics Pro60's, (2)JL W7 10's, (2)JL 500/1, JL 300/4, capacitor and a Optima Yellow Top. The audio shop wired everything so the power from the audio is only drawn from the Optima Yellow top....but yet i get a warning light on my dash "Low Battery Convenience Functions Disabled" ....pretty much all of my accessories would turn off(Radio, power seats, etc,....). With the audio on full blast, my factory battery was reading 13-14 volts and the Optima around 11-12 volts and also the battery upfront in the engine bay was hitting 11-12 volts.I looked in the audio forum in this board and could not find any answers. Any help would be extremely appreciated

Btw: The audio shop is J&G Customs a very reputable audio installer/retailer. They are featured in the hit TV car show OverHaulin. So i know for a fact that they did not screw up the install

Last edited by LazyE55; 01-18-2007 at 02:52 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I get that message when car has not been driven for a while and after 10mins of driving its all back to normal ...

Try running the system after car has had a long drive and given the battery time to get to full charge...

If the system is draining too much current from the battery even after this - and you still get the protection message - you may need a higher capacity battery or higher capacity alternator - or both.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:24 PM

E55
Originally Posted by stevebez
I get that message when car has not been driven for a while and after 10mins of driving its all back to normal ...

Try running the system after car has had a long drive and given the battery time to get to full charge...

If the system is draining too much current from the battery even after this - and you still get the protection message - you may need a higher capacity battery or higher capacity alternator - or both.
I drive a minimum of 100-150 miles per day so i know i drive long enough.....With the audio on full blast the voltage did not drop too much up to the point where my battery is about to die...the voltage stayed between pretty much around 12-14 volts. Dealer just called and they are refusing to touch my car because the foreman is too afraid of screwing it up Anymore suggestions what it could be?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:17 AM

E55
Maybe cables too

Originally Posted by stevebez

Here's something simple to check too....

Could also be a cable sizing issue...even if the battery is charged as Steve says by running etc, then once you start using all the amperage in the amplifiers you have installed, you might still drain the battery because you are not resupplying it fast enough.

Resupply could be an issue because the charge system as a whole might not have the capacity to keep the battery topped up. That could be due to either an alternator not rated high enough in output as Steve suggests OR something as simple as the leads (even from an alternator that is high enough) are too long or thin or poorly terminated and so they cannot resupply the current to avoid draining battery.

The alternator AND leads both need to be able to supply the full rated draw of your system (can you measure that with a clamp on DC Ammeter and see?)

Good luck
Phil
Old 01-22-2007, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
You say you have a capacitor, but how large? I've seen bad ones that actually hurt the system. Have them check it and be sure to use at least a 1 farad cap, bigger if you have room.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:19 AM

E55
Originally Posted by Fast55
You say you have a capacitor, but how large? I've seen bad ones that actually hurt the system. Have them check it and be sure to use at least a 1 farad cap, bigger if you have room.
I have a 1 fared cap by Monster Cable. My lights still dim even though i have a cap and a Optima yellow top.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:24 AM

E55
If the system is draining too much current from the battery even after this - and you still get the protection message - you may need a higher capacity battery or higher capacity alternator - or both.[/QUOTE]

Can i get a higher capacity alternator for my car? I've looked and searched and found none. Any help would be greatly appreciated