MB ECU update - as promised

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
MB ECU update - as promised

Can anyone verify that MB has a new campaign out for the ECU flashes? An SDCrew member is in and was almost hit by it. I am considering get it done BEFORE my RennTech ECU mod. Please advise?!?!?

Can our resident tech verify and say anything about what the newest version does (other than make it harder for nonMB friendly tuners)?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
My car was just at the dealer last week and no update flash? What is a nonMb friendly tuner?Or friendly one for that matter.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Friendly is RennTech. You figure the rest.

I anounced about 6 months ago that MB would be making ECU revisions every six months or so until they get the situation in hand. It was just costing them too much money to troubleshoot modded cars.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'01 E55
You will lose 200HP and if you have a performance flash your car will never start again.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Be serious, would you. Can you verify that there is a new flash?

Hehe JOHN!!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 E55
Ha! You said you wanted me to speak up and show my personality didn't you??

Anyways, I'll check tomorrow. Though you do realize details of the flash aren't really given to us pee-ons.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Glassjaw
Ha! You said you wanted me to speak up and show my personality didn't you??

Anyways, I'll check tomorrow. Though you do realize details of the flash aren't really given to us pee-ons.
Yeah, i do want you to let loose and enjoy yourself.

You ain't no pee-on, bro!! You da man. Move down here so I can have a damn tech!!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by jangy
Friendly is RennTech. You figure the rest.

I anounced about 6 months ago that MB would be making ECU revisions every six months or so until they get the situation in hand. It was just costing them too much money to troubleshoot modded cars.
Are you implying that Mb will let Renntech do ecu mods but not other tuners? Or did I read that wrong? Renn tech will be the only tuner that can crack the ecu then? I would really need some solid proof of that one. Im trying to figure the rest but maybe I was wrong here,no?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Are you implying that Mb will let Renntech do ecu mods but not other tuners? Or did I read that wrong? Renn tech will be the only tuner that can crack the ecu then? I would really need some solid proof of that one. Im trying to figure the rest but maybe I was wrong here,no?
I'm not implying anything as all I hear is through second hand. I got a little involved during the entire upheaval with the previous round of flashes and all i remember is that RennTech's name never came up (thats a good thing). What they do and how it all works is none of my business. What i do know is that MB frowns on tuners that recommend things like avoiding getting a flash done, or offering to "undo" what MB did. These types of comments were made on this and other forums and never by Rennech. My assumption is that they do not try to beat the system by going backwards, but by moving forwards.

You've been all over trying to call BS on me of late, maybe this is your shot? You'll soon learn that I just tell what I know and that there is some rhym to my reason.

As a point of interest, note that the "others" have only recently been able to quench all the hooplah with the issues and here is MB with another set of codes. I had said every six months and what do you know? Ask those that have been troubleshooting this whole time if they want to go through another six months of it or if they wish it was something that was not a problem from day 1?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
that's what he's saying...and he is correct (i have my sources also ). mb is rumored to be attempting to eliminate unauthorized ecu tuning. other tuners can still crack the software but consistant ecu changes will surely take it's toll on what "other" tuners are willing to go through.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by chiromikey
that's what he's saying...and he is correct (i have my sources also ). mb is rumored to be attempting to eliminate unauthorized ecu tuning. other tuners can still crack the software but consistant ecu changes will surely take it's toll on what "other" tuners are willing to go through.
Exactly. This coming from someone that has been in the heart of all this. Chiromokey and I are not friends and do not share RennTech as our mod source, but yet we seem to get the same info. Hmmm, makes you think. I may seem full of it, but in the end it all comes to the surface.

Keep in mind that MB has to protect its reputation (i.e. reliability) which has been tarnished by Lexus, and keep costs down.

The proposed action suit against such a huge company which was supported by some tuners was also not a great way to strat talks.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I'm not implying anything as all I hear is through second hand. I got a little involved during the entire upheaval with the previous round of flashes and all i remember is that RennTech's name never came up (thats a good thing). What they do and how it all works is none of my business. What i do know is that MB frowns on tuners that recommend things like avoiding getting a flash done, or offering to "undo" what MB did. These types of comments were made on this and other forums and never by Rennech. My assumption is that they do not try to beat the system by going backwards, but by moving forwards.

You've been all over trying to call BS on me of late, maybe this is your shot? You'll soon learn that I just tell what I know and that there is some rhym to my reason.

As a point of interest, note that the "others" have only recently been able to quench all the hooplah with the issues and here is MB with another set of codes. I had said every six months and what do you know? Ask those that have been troubleshooting this whole time if they want to go through another six months of it or if they wish it was something that was not a problem from day 1?
Ok,so its all been hear say so far from a source you believe to be very creditable.Thats what I was trying to find out.Nothing more either.All over trying to call BS is a bit of a strectch.If I see BS then I say it,I'm not afraid to speak up.I just want to hear facts or the truth,nothing more.I think you might have been erading into things too far is all.No problems here,just strying to get some answers from these small bits of info dropped here and there is all.

I could see why MB is doing all they can to baffle the tuners out of doing ecu work.Broken motors cost them warranty work.I dont remember reading anything about a ecu flash coming in 6 moths nor did I read about any people having problems "lately"

So for now I will assume that Renntech has some sort of understanding of the ecu flashes that are out and have a heads up on the coming up flashes as well.If that holds true it is good to know this in case I ever go this route.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exactly. This coming from someone that has been in the heart of all this. Chiromokey and I are not friends and do not share RennTech as our mod source, but yet we seem to get the same info...
we're not friends??? not even internet friends???
Old 01-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Almost a Member!

99 civic EK hatchback
yeah, we've been flashing ecu's and trans control units for cars with the 272 engine. i don't recall flashing 113 ecu's as a campaign. i have jay's car in the shop right now and there are no flashes for his car on the vmi unless a new one came out as of last friday. i can double check and let you know...
Old 01-24-2007, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Exactly. This coming from someone that has been in the heart of all this. Chiromokey and I are not friends and do not share RennTech as our mod source, but yet we seem to get the same info. Hmmm, makes you think. I may seem full of it, but in the end it all comes to the surface.

Keep in mind that MB has to protect its reputation (i.e. reliability) which has been tarnished by Lexus, and keep costs down.

The proposed action suit against such a huge company which was supported by some tuners was also not a great way to strat talks.
No not full of **** at all.You have heard things and now your passing them along,but for me I have to have cold facts/proof before anything.I would really like to find some truth to this matter in the end though.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
When are we invading Speeworld?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Ok,so its all been hear say so far from a source you believe to be very creditable.Thats what I was trying to find out.Nothing more either.All over trying to call BS is a bit of a strectch.If I see BS then I say it,I'm not afraid to speak up.I just want to hear facts or the truth,nothing more.I think you might have been erading into things too far is all.No problems here,just strying to get some answers from these small bits of info dropped here and there is all.

I could see why MB is doing all they can to baffle the tuners out of doing ecu work.Broken motors cost them warranty work.I dont remember reading anything about a ecu flash coming in 6 moths nor did I read about any people having problems "lately"

So for now I will assume that Renntech has some sort of understanding of the ecu flashes that are out and have a heads up on the coming up flashes as well.If that holds true it is good to know this in case I ever go this route.
Dude, I wasn't bashing you. I love getting called out. Ask around and you'll easily find the issues of late (load limiter, error lights, etc). In fact, i don't know that certain tuners have still found the "fix" to the previous flash for '06 cars.

The 6 month thing was posted by me 6 months ago. I don't assume my source to be credible. I know he is. I just can only say so much before i lose a connection that trusts me.

As far as RennTech, keep in mind that RennTech is linked to AMG through Harmut. Like it or not. Also keep in mind that RennTech has never offerred to "undo" what MB does. They simply compliment it. There is a huge difference in my opinion.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When are we invading Speeworld?
now would be awesome...we're right in the middle of a cold spell. apparently we had snow in phoenix on friday (i missed it as i was in tahoe).
Old 01-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by exit2Ek
yeah, we've been flashing ecu's and trans control units for cars with the 272 engine. i don't recall flashing 113 ecu's as a campaign. i have jay's car in the shop right now and there are no flashes for his car on the vmi unless a new one came out as of last friday. i can double check and let you know...
Please do. Thanks bro. Can I come in tomorrow? I missed last week. I'll call your pimp daddy in the am!!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Actually, if you remeber I was one of the first to tell the ones *****ing about the dreaded flash to quit blamming MBUSA. That didn't go over well, but it was the truth.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 E55
Please do. Thanks bro. Can I come in tomorrow? I missed last week. I'll call your pimp daddy in the am!!
Oh good. That other guy is gonna check into it. That means I don't have to do any extra work tomorrow. Excellent
Old 01-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
No not full of **** at all.You have heard things and now your passing them along,but for me I have to have cold facts/proof before anything.I would really like to find some truth to this matter in the end though.
You got every right to want facts. But, at some point, you may not get enough and need to make an educated guess. That is where reputation and previous experience of others will come in. If you are waiting for a press release from MBUSA or a surrender sign from a tuner to pop up, good luck. All i can tell you is to solicit feedback from customers. Many tuners use the guise of customer service to cover up issues. If they are quick enough and responsive enough, then issues don't get posted and therefore we get no real trend analysis.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Dude, I wasn't bashing you. I love getting called out. Ask around and you'll easily find the issues of late (load limiter, error lights, etc). In fact, i don't know that certain tuners have still found the "fix" to the previous flash for '06 cars.

The 6 month thing was posted by me 6 months ago. I don't assume my source to be credible. I know he is. I just can only say so much before i lose a connection that trusts me.

As far as RennTech, keep in mind that RennTech is linked to AMG through Harmut. Like it or not. Also keep in mind that RennTech has never offerred to "undo" what MB does. They simply compliment it. There is a huge difference in my opinion.
No bashing...no calling anybody out.Just asking questions.

Agreed,Renn and AMG have a tight connection.Thats worth something right there.Im curious to see what develops from this in 1 years time.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Glassjaw
Oh good. That other guy is gonna check into it. That means I don't have to do any extra work tomorrow. Excellent
That other guy is my local homey. You two should meet. may be good for both!

Actually, I thought Jay's car was flagged for one, too. I hope he gets his IC pump fixed once and for all!!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:23 AM
Almost a Member!

99 civic EK hatchback
tomorrow should be cool. i'm pretty open plus maybe you can help me out with jays car. i need you to drive jays car and tell me if it feels stronger or weaker than a stock 55. i haven't driven 55's hard enough to be able to tell a difference. give me a call in the am.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB ECU update - as promised