W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

El Mirage Dry Lake.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2007 | 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Thumbs up El Mirage Dry Lake.....

i think this might be heaven on earth (along w/ the nurburgring)

its not that far, near LACR should be about an hour drive on a weekend, sd guys, sorry, its north of la. definitely worth the drive.

From LA:

State Route 14 to Palmdale Blvd in Palmdale.
East to 240th St. East.
North (about 1 mile) to El Mirage Rd.
East (about 9 miles) to the Mountain View Rd.
North (about 1 mile) to the Dry Lake bed.
West (about 4 miles) to the start line.

From .gov

There is no speed limit on the open lakebed, but vehicle operators are responsible for their own safety, OHV rules and regulations, and knowing what is going on around them. The maximum speed limit is 15 miles per hour within 50 feet of camps and staging areas.

During permitted events, special speed limits and traffic restrictions are posted. Please watch for these events. To maintain a smooth surface, the lakebed is closed when wet or muddy. The California Highway Patrol, San Bernardino County Sheriff, and BLM Rangers patrol the area to encourage safe use by visitors.

Camping is permitted on the lakebed, but no more than 100 feet from the edge. This keeps the smooth center section of the lakebed clear for night riders.

When riding within 50 feet of any campground, campsite, or concentration of people or animals, speeds cannot exceed 15 mph. (38310 CVC) It is unlawful for any person to drive any motor vehicle in any manner with a willful and wanton disregard for the safety of other persons. (38316 CVC

so basically as long as we're responsible, were cool to go as fast as we want

you guys down?

Last edited by AMG_55; 02-10-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2007 | 10:51 AM

Merce-rati
thats tight, to badi m on the east coast, but ocean parkway is almost the samee thing
Old 01-24-2007 | 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
although it seems like a nice idea, Im not going to jack up my paint to do some high speed runs. Id rather rent a track.
Old 01-24-2007 | 05:39 PM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by psk145
although it seems like a nice idea, Im not going to jack up my paint to do some high speed runs. Id rather rent a track.
+1

Lets organize another track day.
Old 01-24-2007 | 06:51 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by psk145
If that were an asphalt then
Old 01-24-2007 | 06:57 PM
Banned

F248 F1
^^ dont you guys have a clear bra on your cars ?

damn Vadim....any places like that in North Cal?
Old 01-24-2007 | 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Sweet spot. But better get those racer's tape ready for your side skirts and rear fenders.

Old 01-24-2007 | 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Great idea bro but...

Originally Posted by AMG_55
i think this might be heaven on earth (along w/ the nurburgring)

its not that far, near LACR should be about an hour drive on a weekend, sd guys, sorry, its north of la. definitely worth the drive.

From LA:

State Route 14 to Palmdale Blvd in Palmdale.
East to 240th St. East.
North (about 1 mile) to El Mirage Rd.
East (about 9 miles) to the Mountain View Rd.
North (about 1 mile) to the Dry Lake bed.
West (about 4 miles) to the start line.

From .gov

There is no speed limit on the open lakebed, but vehicle operators are responsible for their own safety, OHV rules and regulations, and knowing what is going on around them. The maximum speed limit is 15 miles per hour within 50 feet of camps and staging areas.

During permitted events, special speed limits and traffic restrictions are posted. Please watch for these events. To maintain a smooth surface, the lakebed is closed when wet or muddy. The California Highway Patrol, San Bernardino County Sheriff, and BLM Rangers patrol the area to encourage safe use by visitors.

Camping is permitted on the lakebed, but no more than 100 feet from the edge. This keeps the smooth center section of the lakebed clear for night riders.

When riding within 50 feet of any campground, campsite, or concentration of people or animals, speeds cannot exceed 15 mph. (38310 CVC) It is unlawful for any person to drive any motor vehicle in any manner with a willful and wanton disregard for the safety of other persons. (38316 CVC

so basically as long as we're responsible, were cool to go as fast as we want

you guys down?
Looks like the general consensus is a no go, also I don't think from the pictures they'd allow us to run side by side races at the same time looks like one car at a time kinda deal, but that would be awesome for some roll-ons like 5-6 of us lined up at the same time
We deffinitely couldn't do any races from a dig, we'd never get traction in that dirt....

Were gonna just have to be outlaws for this mini-meet, I aint waitin' around for track day and possibly bust my rear diff, that's a weak link on the 05 Vette...
Old 01-24-2007 | 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Ive been there many times in my life...trust me,you guys wouldnt like it.
Old 01-25-2007 | 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Ive been there many times in my life...trust me,you guys wouldnt like it.
please tell me why

im planning on going w/ a friend on sat.
Old 01-25-2007 | 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Thericker
Looks like the general consensus is a no go, also I don't think from the pictures they'd allow us to run side by side races at the same time looks like one car at a time kinda deal, but that would be awesome for some roll-ons like 5-6 of us lined up at the same time
We deffinitely couldn't do any races from a dig, we'd never get traction in that dirt....

Were gonna just have to be outlaws for this mini-meet, I aint waitin' around for track day and possibly bust my rear diff, that's a weak link on the 05 Vette...
im sure they wont give a **** if were 50ft apart or something, its not like they are just sitting there also.

yeah, no dig, but 50-150 is nicer anyways, icant launch my car anyhoo...

im planning on rolling w/ a friend (400+ hp evo), anyone is welcome to join
Old 01-25-2007 | 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by AMG_55
please tell me why

im planning on going w/ a friend on sat.
Its dirt first off,very dusty and can be powdery in spots.It does get pockets of soft dirt that are hard to notice until its too late.This time of year it will be very dry,the road in and out is rocky and sometimes rough.Not low profile tire friendly.Im just not up too driving my car in the dirt I guess.You do have alot of room to run,but on weekends there is usually alot of kids and familys riding dirt bikes and such out there.Not a place i would want to make a speed run on a weekend day.

Do you really want to drive your 100k car fast through the dirt?
Old 01-25-2007 | 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Its dirt first off,very dusty and can be powdery in spots.It does get pockets of soft dirt that are hard to notice until its too late.This time of year it will be very dry,the road in and out is rocky and sometimes rough.Not low profile tire friendly.Im just not up too driving my car in the dirt I guess.You do have alot of room to run,but on weekends there is usually alot of kids and familys riding dirt bikes and such out there.Not a place i would want to make a speed run on a weekend day.

Do you really want to drive your 100k car fast through the dirt?
thanks for the info. i guess i will have to wait and do it in optimal conditions...

i dont really care where i run my car, as long as its fast and safe. if my paint comes off like on bravs noble (sick car btw) i wouldnt mind, war wounds

i got my car to drive 1st and foremost

btw,
there was a test a mag did w/ a 996tt there, they got it up to 189 i believe on stock tires etc....
Old 01-25-2007 | 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by eLTURCOamg
thats tight, to badi m on the east coast, but ocean parkway is almost the samee thing
LOL, except the road conditions of ocean pkwy have your car boucning up and down.