Sponsored by:

Intercooler pump failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Intercooler pump failure

I know this has been beaten to death, but I have one more question regarding pump failure. Does it get weak for a while before it goes completely out or does it die immediately causing IAT to soar only when pushing it hard several times in a row.

My car for the first time in 39k miles wouldn't kick on the compressor when I was smoking my wife in her M3.

It's going in to get servce next week so I'll get then to check it. Should I tell them to check for IAT elevation or are there any other tell tale codes. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Those things have a mind of their own.Quit completely or just work when they want too,best way is too log some IAT's and show the dealer.

No codes that Im aware of.Mine went out and I checked for any codes,didnt see any.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Those things have a mind of their own.Quit completely or just work when they want too,best way is too log some IAT's and show the dealer.

No codes that Im aware of.Mine went out and I checked for any codes,didnt see any.
Same here, no codes.
When I showed the shop foreman the high IAT's in an Excel spreadsheet - he believed.

Of course they were able to experience the problem themselves because of the pulley. Before the pulley, they couldn't "duplicate the problem."
Old 01-26-2007, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Im very fortuntate that my SA is a good guy and takes my word for it when I say somethings wrong with my car and doesnt give me any run around or problems.My IATS would run right up to the point of shutting down the SC but never did,so it would have been hard for meto prove the problem.I did some data logging and found the high temps,told my SA and they found a week/intermitten problem.Cars runs strong now! Last run was 12:31@115.98w/1:98 60ft.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
the dealership i use is actually pretty good he didn't even question it, they just changed out the ic pump and BAM everything works great again! mine went out last friday, they fixed it monday.

Don't sweat it, just tell them whats up and they'll take care of it, i think the people who have had problems are the people who didn't know anything about the pump and just dropped off the car and said please fix its running like ****!

Last edited by BMWEATR; 01-26-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by BMWEATR
... i think the people who have had problems are the people who didn't know anything about the pump and just dropped off the car and said please fix its running like ****!
Rather a broad generalization.
The two comments previous to yours show that your thought is wrong.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E63S wagon, 2016 GLE350d, GLE450 on order
your ECU should store a code everytime the s/c is cut off due to excessive IAT's. I also had mine to the dealer 2 times to replace the pump and they "did not find anything". About 1 week after the second visit , Steve was adding some more mods to the car and we connected the STAR diagnose to see if any codes were stored. Sure enough it stored the data for every time the s/c was shut down; not just IAT, but speed, throttle position, injector duty cylce, etc. There is even a procedure to test the pump. Once i printed this data and gave it to the dealer the pump was changed. Maybe some of the techs need more training on star dianose???
Old 05-27-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG White
Originally Posted by jparch
your ECU should store a code everytime the s/c is cut off due to excessive IAT's. I also had mine to the dealer 2 times to replace the pump and they "did not find anything". About 1 week after the second visit , Steve was adding some more mods to the car and we connected the STAR diagnose to see if any codes were stored. Sure enough it stored the data for every time the s/c was shut down; not just IAT, but speed, throttle position, injector duty cylce, etc. There is even a procedure to test the pump. Once i printed this data and gave it to the dealer the pump was changed. Maybe some of the techs need more training on star dianose???
Where in star is this data located? What's the menu branch procedure to get there that you used?
Old 05-30-2017, 07:11 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2004 E55, Triumph Speed Triple
Originally Posted by WannaBeeAMG
Where in star is this data located? What's the menu branch procedure to get there that you used?
This thread is 10 years old man, good luck getting an answer.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 722 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Not the IAT data but this is how you can activate your heat exchanger coolant pump to check it out.
IC pump activation
Using DAS/Star
Control Units/Drive/ME/actuations/M44 (charge air cooler circulation pump)
Old 10-02-2019, 11:05 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone has knowledge to reply. I did was bbirdwell suggested and I can hear the pump run, but no idea if it is running properly or not - it is a low humming type noise that I can hear when I get close to the pump. My IAT is high around 160-175F. And I have negative ltft of almost -11.7. I read IAT by going into Star>Control Units>Drive>ME>actual values>test under load (the prerequistes on this page show the IAT value because it has to be lower than 140F and my car is higher than that even at idle.

My question is simple - how can I test if this is a bad pump (or going bad in this case) or if it is a bad IAT temp sensor?
Old 10-03-2019, 12:45 AM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by abhansali
I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone has knowledge to reply. I did was bbirdwell suggested and I can hear the pump run, but no idea if it is running properly or not - it is a low humming type noise that I can hear when I get close to the pump. My IAT is high around 160-175F. And I have negative ltft of almost -11.7. I read IAT by going into Star>Control Units>Drive>ME>actual values>test under load (the prerequistes on this page show the IAT value because it has to be lower than 140F and my car is higher than that even at idle.

My question is simple - how can I test if this is a bad pump (or going bad in this case) or if it is a bad IAT temp sensor?
How old is the pump? They can buzz and not be working correctly. You can get one from FCP Euro for $110.00 if you can swing it. Then you will know it's new and in working order.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:20 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
The pump is original. I ordered a new one from Amazon for just over $100. But when I popped off the engine cover, I noticed the intercooler circuit overflow tank was empty of coolant. I added coolant and then ran the engine for a few minutes and in the star diag the IAT was down to about 125F. Turned off the car and all of a sudden coolant started leaking all over the floor from the back side of the engine. Will take it tomorrow to my repair shop to have them find the leak. Will have them test the current pump and see if it is working well before I replace the pump. Hoping the leak is not too expensive. I already had to replace one hose in April....

Is this common for these coolant hoses to fail around 65k miles?
Old 10-07-2019, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Jesus...just a hose leak? Just fix it and be done !
As far as the pump...just put a new one in. The original is old and so it would be piece of mind knowing a new one is in there.
Safer for the engine.